Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

I've spent two pre season games behind the dug out,

Gretna and today. The amount of times Faz gets frustrated by Orsi is frightening, " no good enough Kalvin" rather than shout at him, or say that out loud he says it to the bench.  Why doesn't he sub him ?

Why does he play him. He’s utter pish.

6 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Why does he play him. He’s utter pish.

And I think this is the problem.  We now have a squad of about 8 or 9 automatic picks but then a mixture of mediocre players.  You can get away with that to certain extent if you avoid injuries or suspensions but that ain't gonna happen.  We need to hope that any more signings are of decent quality.

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Wasn't at the gane but heard from a very reliable source who was, that our LB put some very dangerous crosses in and looked our standout player. He was wearing number 3 so can only assume this was Greg Wylde. I was pretty shocked to hear this but promising, for what is a definite weak area, if true.

I thought Wylde's delivery today was excellent. There were a few times where Irvine caused issues down the left, but offensively he was a decent threat for us.

On the game, it was very much one of two halves.

After scoring a very nice goal early on - Ally Love intercepted a loose pass, drove down the wing and clipped in a cross for Declan Byrne to tuck in via the post - we totally fell out of the game and deserved to be behind at half-time.

All the issues were coming from the midfield. Div Wilson was off the pace, slack in possession and wasn't making life easy for his teammates with his passes. Alongside him the trialist CM struggled badly. Both were hooked at HT, Finlay Gray and Ryan Blair came on, and both improved us immensely.

Byrne and Love switched roles for the equaliser. Byrne showed great tenacity and pace to chase a ball that looked like it wasn't going anywhere, got round big Bryan Wharton and picked out Love who finished very well. With 10 minutes to go - and save for one scare the other end - we won it when the excellent Finlay Gray rifled in a beauty from the edge of the box.

By this stage we were looking pretty confident and Irvine were flying into a fair few challenges that, I think, led to the game being called a few minutes early. But it was a good competitive workout.

Positives: Ryan Blair, Finlay Gray, Declan Byrne getting a goal and an assist, Ally Love' finish and Gregg Wylde's crossing.

Negatives: Finlay Gray is suspended next week, Div Wilson looks miles off it, Kalvin Orsi had very little impact and when we don't win the midfield battle we look miles off winning a game.

Any idea who the trialists were

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought Wylde's delivery today was excellent. There were a few times where Irvine caused issues down the left, but offensively he was a decent threat for us.

On the game, it was very much one of two halves.

After scoring a very nice goal early on - Ally Love intercepted a loose pass, drove down the wing and clipped in a cross for Declan Byrne to tuck in via the post - we totally fell out of the game and deserved to be behind at half-time.

All the issues were coming from the midfield. Div Wilson was off the pace, slack in possession and wasn't making life easy for his teammates with his passes. Alongside him the trialist CM struggled badly. Both were hooked at HT, Finlay Gray and Ryan Blair came on, and both improved us immensely.

Byrne and Love switched roles for the equaliser. Byrne showed great tenacity and pace to chase a ball that looked like it wasn't going anywhere, got round big Bryan Wharton and picked out Love who finished very well. With 10 minutes to go - and save for one scare the other end - we won it when the excellent Finlay Gray rifled in a beauty from the edge of the box.

By this stage we were looking pretty confident and Irvine were flying into a fair few challenges that, I think, led to the game being called a few minutes early. But it was a good competitive workout.

Positives: Ryan Blair, Finlay Gray, Declan Byrne getting a goal and an assist, Ally Love' finish and Gregg Wylde's crossing.

Negatives: Finlay Gray is suspended next week, Div Wilson looks miles off it, Kalvin Orsi had very little impact and when we don't win the midfield battle we look miles off winning a game.

I like Orsi. I feel he has a bit of arrogance about his play and sometimes brings an urgency and directness to us, particularly if we're flat and he comes on from the bench. Not always the most productive or defensive, but that's true of wingers the world over (with the possible exception of Mark Gilhaney, who got up and down the right wing brilliantly, but maybe wasn't always super productive at the sharp end, though made up for it in tracking back).

11 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I like Orsi. I feel he has a bit of arrogance about his play and sometimes brings an urgency and directness to us, particularly if we're flat and he comes on from the bench. Not always the most productive or defensive, but that's true of wingers the world over (with the possible exception of Mark Gilhaney, who got up and down the right wing brilliantly, but maybe wasn't always super productive at the sharp end, though made up for it in tracking back).

I can't agree.  He's a bit of a one-trick pony, once the defender realises that Orsi drops his shoulder and always goes outside he is quite easy to contain.  He certainly gives his all but IMO his overall influence on games is minimal.

9 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

I can't agree.  He's a bit of a one-trick pony, once the defender realises that Orsi drops his shoulder and always goes outside he is quite easy to contain.  He certainly gives his all but IMO his overall influence on games is minimal.

I've yet to see any trick(s) from Orsi tbh.

Maybe dropping to League 2 level he'll become a revelation

Edited by Silverton End

15 hours ago, the snudge said:

Orsi is genuinely one of the worst sons players I've seen. He's like a more limited Chisholm. Quick to shout at everyone else and doesn't do anything of any note. 

I don't rate Orsi particularly highly and of course any opinions are subjective but I don't think I'd have Orsi among the worst players we've had in even the past 3-4 years.

Out of interest, why the XI in Irvine Meadow XI?

A team called Irvine Celtic owned Meadow Park back in the 1890’s and it was common at the time for a club to run a second team out of the ground and name them after the ground so an Irvine Meadow XI was born.

In 1897, Celtic went out of business as a club and Meadow who just had a successful season in the juvenile leagues took over the ground and turned junior.

Found a link to This Twitter profile, not my page and I can't take any credit for it but has all the goals and action from the Irvine Meadow friendly on it just if anyone wants a look 

Edited by Clarko_son

34 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Found a link to This Twitter profile, not my page and I can't take any credit for it but has all the goals and action from the Irvine Meadow friendly on it just if anyone wants a look 

There's a clip there of one of our midfielders bursting forward from the half way line and winning a corner, is that Fin Gray? 

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There's a clip there of one of our midfielders bursting forward from the half way line and winning a corner, is that Fin Gray? 

If it's the one from this clip, then it's Gray who wins the ball and then makes the run forward while Love has it. Screenshot_20220725_102934.thumb.jpg.8a18dd3d599a5f21a4c297a3137f39bd.jpg

Gets stuck in, still manages to get forward as well. Love it. 

20 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

A team called Irvine Celtic owned Meadow Park back in the 1890’s and it was common at the time for a club to run a second team out of the ground and name them after the ground so an Irvine Meadow XI was born.

In 1897, Celtic went out of business as a club and Meadow who just had a successful season in the juvenile leagues took over the ground and turned junior.

OK, but that doesn't explain how a club called Irvine Meadow for most of their existence became Irvine Meadow XI.  I'm sure there was some sort of parallel with Gretna/Gretna 2008.

7 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

If it's the one from this clip, then it's Gray who wins the ball and then makes the run forward while Love has it. Screenshot_20220725_102934.thumb.jpg.8a18dd3d599a5f21a4c297a3137f39bd.jpg

Gets stuck in, still manages to get forward as well. Love it. 

It was this one I meant, for some reason twitter wouldn't let me quote it earlier;

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It was this one I meant, for some reason twitter wouldn't let me quote it earlier;

I'm fairly sure that is him as well actually! 

Finding multiple good videos of one of players from a game is a problem I'd like to continue having