Sons' sorrow

Ah well, bit of a shiter to miss out on the bonus point or whatever the hell they call it but plenty of positives to take this evening. The young keeper had a great game and he looks like he’s a more than reliable back up. I thought McNiff, Buchanan, Lynas and Blair all turned in very good performances. Finlay Gray looks like he has plenty of potential and puts himself about. We tired a bit in the last 20 minutes or so but I suppose that’s to be expected against a full-time outfit. 

Only really a couple of negatives for me - I remain massively unconvinced by Declan Byrne but it’s early days and it was another quiet showing from C Wilson who really needs to start taking his opportunities or he’ll find himself well down the pecking order.

Broun was superb tonight. Even just that he does the basics well like coming for crosses is absolutely night and day to the Ramsbottom days.

On balance of play yeah Raith were better but we defended well and created some chances. I couldn't actually see who it was that cut in from the right of the box and slipped when he would've just had the keeper to beat but it was certainly a lot of positives to take from that. 

2 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Broun was superb tonight. Even just that he does the basics well like coming for crosses is absolutely night and day to the Ramsbottom days.

On balance of play yeah Raith were better but we defended well and created some chances. I couldn't actually see who it was that cut in from the right of the box and slipped when he would've just had the keeper to beat but it was certainly a lot of positives to take from that. 

Was byrne that slipped , few good moves when we got the ball down and played

I’ve been encouraged by our last two performances (you could even throw in the Aberdeen game). 

The defence seems to be a lot more settled. I think that’s down to having a good ‘keeper behind them and more importantly, because Buchanan has been solid and looks back to his best.

Still a bit of work to do attacking-wise, I think we lack a cutting edge but hopefully playing league two standard opposition will help that. I’d like us to bring in another attacking option on loan, I’ve not been convinced by Byrne so far and young Callum Wilson has looked miles off it.

Sounds very promising. Broun seems miles ahead of any of the first choice keepers we’ve had in L1, other than Dabrowski!

Take it with a pinch of salt, being a glorified friendly, but I’m feeling ready to get hurt again.

Edited by FifeSons

I agree with almost all of the posts above, with exception of having real concern over McNiff's seriously worrying lack of pace.  Young Broun has started well with two shut-outs and I think we may have discovered a decent defender in Carswell.  I'm wondering if he could play right-back with Lynas switching to the left, and McGeever and Buchanan in central defence.  Blair is quietly impressing in midfield too.

First game of the season for me tonight and we played much better than I was expecting. I suppose if you go in with low expectations then the pain is minimised but I was impressed with most of the team this evening.

Broun was immense imo. Having a keeper that can actually catch the ball makes a massive difference. In the first half, I was jittery any time a high ball came near him simply because of our previous goalies but by the final quarter I knew he'd collect it every single time and he never let me down.

In defence, I thought Buchanan stood out. I don't think he missed a header all evening.

Gray, Love and Wallace all looked good too. C. Wilson took a good corner just before half time that found Buchanan's head but that was about it from him. Joe McKee looked more like his 19/20 self. Hopefully he's got over last season and the pre season has done him the world of good.

I'm actually looking forward to the league getting underway now.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I agree with almost all of the posts above, with exception of having real concern over McNiff's seriously worrying lack of pace.  Young Broun has started well with two shut-outs and I think we may have discovered a decent defender in Carswell.  I'm wondering if he could play right-back with Lynas switching to the left, and McGeever and Buchanan in central defence.  Blair is quietly impressing in midfield too.

There would seem little logic in seeing Lynas play well at RB and Carswell play well at CB and therefore deciding "let's play them both out of position and hope that makes the LB better". The sensible option is to let Wylde and McNiff fight it out for the number 3 rather than tear apart the backline.

Missed it tonight through work commitments…but by all accounts sounds like we battled away which as many have said certainly wasn’t something we done last season. 

I’ve yet to see Broun in goals but sounds like we have a first choice keeper debate coming if he keeps turning in these performances. 

Glad to hear gray is playing well, we have missed having a midfielder willing to get on the ball and create since the likes of Vaughan and Stanton were at the rock. If he turns out even 50% of some of the performances they two contributed then we are onto a good one. 

I’d love to be optimistic, but I’d like to see how we cope when we are expected to win. The first 3/4 league games will be crucial! But I’m looking forward to the real stuff starting. 

8 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

There would seem little logic in seeing Lynas play well at RB and Carswell play well at CB and therefore deciding "let's play them both out of position and hope that makes the LB better". The sensible option is to let Wylde and McNiff fight it out for the number 3 rather than tear apart the backline.

I accept your logic but Carswell has already played satisfactorily at RB, and whilst we don't know if Lynas can play at LB, I'd be willing to at least try it as neither Wylde or McNiff looks secure there.  I'll be quite honest, I wouldn't have re-signed McNiff.

I'm also pretty sure Callum Wilson's original position was left-back so that may be an option, now that we have more midfield choices.  

We could've avoided all this shoe-horning of players in positions if we'd just gone and signed an actual left back. There is still time to do so, but it looks and sounds like Faz is happy with Wylde and McNiff as the options. I'm not sure who I prefer, McNiff is the better defender but will get pillaged by anyone with pace and Wylde is too much of a shitebag for me. Perhaps we can try Carswell at left back when McGeever is fit.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'll be quite honest, I wouldn't have re-signed McNiff.

I probably wouldn’t either but I think he’s showed up quite well so far. I even thought he done well last night and I only really remember one incident where his lack of pace was badly exposed. He seems to have good positional sense and is pretty no nonsense. Some of our best defenders over recent years have been slow as hell (Andy Graham and Mark McLaughlin spring to mind) and whilst he’s by no means in the same category as those guys I think he’s proven he can at least be a solid backup option. 

Personally I’d much rather a different left back than Wylde or McNiff but I’m quite comfortable with him being part of the squad. 

I think if we are looking at another option for left back it should be a loan rather than trying to fit existing players in. 

I think Wylde and McNiff look ok there but no better than that really. It's probably wishful thinking as I suspect Wylde will be the first choice 

45 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I probably wouldn’t either but I think he’s showed up quite well so far. I even thought he done well last night and I only really remember one incident where his lack of pace was badly exposed. He seems to have good positional sense and is pretty no nonsense. Some of our best defenders over recent years have been slow as hell (Andy Graham and Mark McLaughlin spring to mind) and whilst he’s by no means in the same category as those guys I think he’s proven he can at least be a solid backup option. 

Personally I’d much rather a different left back than Wylde or McNiff but I’m quite comfortable with him being part of the squad. 

Agreed for central defence, but full-backs tend to much more exposed for their lack of pace.  And you should have a reasonable expectation of your full-backs being able to overlap too.  I'm just surprised that having struggled badly at times in this position last season that we haven't been able to come up with a better solution than what we now appear to have.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm just surprised that having struggled badly at times in this position last season that we haven't been able to come up with a better solution than what we now appear to have.

I certainly wouldn’t disagree with that. I’m hoping we might see a youngster appear on loan.