Sons' sorrow

Peterhead seem in disarray at the moment but it's really pleasing to hear that we've looked the opposite of that today. Delighted for young Finlay, where was he playing today?

Anyone watching give us an idea as to the system we played? Seemed a difficult line up to piece together.

A good win and should be a morale booster. If only we'd turned up in the second half against SA then we'd have a shoot out with Raith to potentially qualify from this group, and coin in some much needed cash. 

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Was thinking on the way down the road, when did we last win a cup game against a team from a division above us? Couldn't remember off the top of my head.

Did we not beat Morton in the challenge cup about 5 years ago? 

Was thinking on the way down the road, when did we last win a cup game against a team from a division above us? Couldn't remember off the top of my head.
Did we not beat Morton in the challenge cup about 5 years ago? 
Yup. August 2018.

Would the win over Morton not have been Aitken’s first season so both us and Morton would be Championship?
The one you're thinking of was Aitken's first match in 2015 when we were indeed both in the championship. But we also beat them early in the season after we were relegated to L1 not long before he was sacked.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Peterhead seem in disarray at the moment but it's really pleasing to hear that we've looked the opposite of that today. Delighted for young Finlay, where was he playing today?

Anyone watching give us an idea as to the system we played? Seemed a difficult line up to piece together.

A good win and should be a morale booster. If only we'd turned up in the second half against SA then we'd have a shoot out with Raith to potentially qualify from this group, and coin in some much needed cash. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Finlay Gray brought pace and energy to central midfield and scored a peach of a goal, but in all honesty Peterhead were a toothless shadow of last season.

Today's starting eleven won't be the first choice but it was good to see that we have some options, although the left-hand defensive area still causes some concern.

Given our record in the challenge cup it’s surprising we beat anyone in it that season! [emoji23]
Tbf, we haven't won a match in it since then despite two of the three ties being against children's teams.

1 hour ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, MEH1872 said:
Would the win over Morton not have been Aitken’s first season so both us and Morton would be Championship?

The one you're thinking of was Aitken's first match in 2015 when we were indeed both in the championship. But we also beat them early in the season after we were relegated to L1 not long before he was sacked.

Of course! The game where Bobby Barr absolutely roasted some poor rookie full-back. How could I forget!

Anyway, I was very pleased with us today. It was a fairly drama free, professional performance. Granted Peterhead have a fair few issues at the moment - most notably their lack of players. But you can only beat what's in front of you, and how many times have we seen Sons slip up against teams who aren't at full strength?

Finlay Gray was played as part of a midfield three (I think, although it was fairly fluid) with Declan Byrne up top on his own and Ally Love and Callum Wilson wide. Ryan Blair sat a bit deeper with McKee nearer Gray. And I thought he was absolutely terrific. His goal was superb, he won possession back a good number of times just by being sharper than his opposite number (which is what led to the extremely debatable red card...) he showed neat touches and he knew how to win a foul in a good area. Considering it was his full senior debut, and he was directly up against Ryan Dow, we really couldn't have asked for more.

His energy also allowed McKee to see more of the ball. And he barely wasted a pass all day. HIs ball through for the goal was classic Joe McKee too - something we barely saw last season.

I thought both our centre-backs defended well and dealt easily with big Ola Adeyemo for the most part. I was very critical of Gregor Buchanan last season, but I thought he had a decent game against Stirling Albion last week, and I was impressed by him again today. He didn't take many chances defensively, was dominant in the air, used the ball fairly efficiently and it was great to see him attacking Gregg Wylde's perfect delivery for the second goal with so much aggression. 

For me Buchanan and Carswell played a vital role in the way we managed the game. They calmed everything down and, despite it only being 1-0 for a long spell, I didn't ever feel as if we were going to lose a goal in the second-half. Our game management was good, we kept the ball well and moved it about like you should against 10 men.

In terms of negatives; I would agree with OKI a few posts above. There was no shortage of effort from Declan Byrne, but the ball didn't stick and he spent a lot of the game chasing his own touch. Ryan Wallace made a notable impact in holding play up and defending from the front when he came on.

Callum Wilson never really got going either, although Ross MacLean, Kalvin Orsi and Ally Love all failed to make much of an impact down the flanks. So maybe Peterhead just defended well down the wings. I also didn't see a great deal from Ryan Blair; in fact he was maybe a bit lucky to stay on after picking up a booking and then rattling into a clumsy challenge. That being said the midfield did look to have a good balance to it; or at least far better than in recent weeks, so maybe he was doing the ugly stuff and keeping shape and I didn't notice.

Last of all, big ups to Harry Broun in goals. A debut clean sheet. Lovely stuff. He was a bit nervy early on, but settled down as the game went on and looked very assured by the second-half. It's a rare, and pleasant, feeling to have two good keepers on the books.

Just to touch on your post, Jan - Ally Love was generally pretty honking whenever he was played out wide for Clyde. Plenty of huff and puff but could never influence a game out there much at all. I found him much more effective when played through the middle.

It’s good to see a positive result and it’s extra pleasing to see young Finlay Gray grab a goal and read that he had a positive influence on the game. I think most people will be rooting for him this season, a local lad with connections to the club who has stepped up from a lower level where most fans have given him plenty of praise for his performances.

I’m not going to read too much into it, Peterhead look like they are down to the bare bones and a first half red card wont have helped their cause but either way credit where it’s due for a solid win at a notoriously tricky venue.

It’s interesting to read that Carswell turned in a better performance at centre back, I can’t remember the last time he had a good game in midfield but he always seems to do a job at the back.

23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s good to see a positive result and it’s extra pleasing to see young Finlay Gray grab a goal and read that he had a positive influence on the game. I think most people will be rooting for him this season, a local lad with connections to the club who has stepped up from a lower level where most fans have given him plenty of praise for his performances.

I’m not going to read too much into it, Peterhead look like they are down to the bare bones and a first half red card wont have helped their cause but either way credit where it’s due for a solid win at a notoriously tricky venue.

It’s interesting to read that Carswell turned in a better performance at centre back, I can’t remember the last time he had a good game in midfield but he always seems to do a job at the back.

I agree on Carswell. He very rarely has a good game in midfield and usually does reasonably well at CB when we have needed cover. It seems like our whole midfield is completely missing most games where he plays there.

It would be interesting to see the stats on the percentage of games we have won with him at CB vs CM.

Obviously doesn’t tell the whole story but would still be interesting to see.

1 hour ago, Greenmachine said:

Would love to see a Sons v Bankies derby match in this seasons Scottish Cup.

Think it would be a right good game.

I’d love to see the Sons v Bankies back as a regular league fixture. Would be Graeme at to have proper derby fixtures in the league again.

Did I see someone mention on here that Callum Wilson had a special fitness target set?

Looks can be deceiving, but he doesn’t look in terribly great shape and I haven’t seen the same sort of sharpness from him that he was showing early last season. Early days yet, hopefully we can get him firing again, I’m beginning to worry his early form was a flash in the pan…