Sons' sorrow

37 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

The reason for shortening the pitch genuinely reads like an April fools post. How embarrassing. We’ve sacrificed the (very limited) ability we have to play football in order to Chuck some long throws slightly further into the box. Probably just to be headed clear or caught.

Also sounds like it was decided on the spot after the boys we’re having a wee laugh in training.

Long throws to Callum Wilson, Ryan Wallace. Super 

9 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

PJ Crossan, released by Forfar and played under him at Stranraer.

Could see it happening, sadly.

Actually maybe not. I think he released him last season?

Released because of work commitments I had read so I suspect he might not be in a position to sign for anyone. Could use him to get on the end of our long throws however...

Messing about with the pitch dimensions for the purposes of long-throws, dear me. From memory Scott Linton was our last notable baw-hurler and, as a play,  it hardly ever resulted in a goal - we maybe scored once up at Glebe Park or somewhere.

I had hoped we would have approached this season with a view to at least attempting to play fast-paced, expansive fitba but I can't see how this development helps.

You need big, dominating guys through your team for that sort of tactic to work. Outside of our centre backs, who would you trust to win a header? I'd probably say Lynas is the only one on the evidence of yesterday and he's taking the throw. You could see how frustrated Wallace was with high balls into him, and Faz comments yesterday about how direct Stirling were (which btw is a bit of a loose description of how our opponents played, they were direct but they were accurate with their passes and, most importantly every knew their role in how to support the forwards) and "that's League 2 football" suggests to me we're in for another season of hoof and hope with not much success. 

29 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I had hoped we would have approached this season with a view to at least attempting to play fast-paced, expansive fitba but I can't see how this development helps.

If your team could actually play "fast-paced, expansive fitba" then it wouldn't be in the Scottish fourth tier having just been relegated by a bunch of haddy outfits in the play-offs. 

I'd stick to wishing for 'competent and effective' if I were in your position at the moment. 

It’s going to be some laugh when Farrell gets punted in October and the new guy is left working with the narrowest pitch in the league.

Was league cup on sat their hopefully the dimensions haven’t been submitted yet and we revert back to normal size for league duty

Was league cup on sat their hopefully the dimensions haven’t been submitted yet and we revert back to normal size for league duty
Too late now if the 2018 league rules are still in place. I'd be surprised if it's changed tbh.9dba082cea5abd027329229c808b1936.jpg

21 hours ago, Neilly said:

Stirling qualified last year did they not?

No mate, we didn't qualify. We did finish a clear second in our group, so it's understandable that you thought we qualified.  Not every team who finishes second in their group goes through though. Some on a lower points total than others are eliminated, to achieve the required number going forward.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

If your team could actually play "fast-paced, expansive fitba" then it wouldn't be in the Scottish fourth tier having just been relegated by a bunch of haddy outfits in the play-offs. 

I'd stick to wishing for 'competent and effective' if I were in your position at the moment. 

Fortunately for you you're not. 

5 hours ago, virginton said:

Okay so I'll respond.

There is some truth in what you say, but there is also am element of relativity to what we are expecting. Good football is achievable at all levels. A team who play good football in league 2, against league 2 opposition are unlikely to beat a Premiership team. But it doesn't mean they're not capable of playing decent football when playing opponents who are of similar level to themselves. 

Given we have (on paper at least) players who have recently performed at a higher level to a reasonable standard, in our squad and there is at least some continuity in having those players signed up from previous season(s) then it isn't unreasonable to hope for a better end product on the park.

Of course, we all know that keeping players (and manager) from such a stinking squad who got relegated last year is probably the reason we are serving up the same shite. But, I think we are entitled to be (stupidly) optimistic at this stage.

Edited by squeezebox-son

56 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Okay so I'll respond.

There is some truth in what you say, but there is also am element of relativity to what we are expecting. Good football is achievable at all levels. A team who play good football in league 2, against league 2 opposition are unlikely to beat a Premiership team. But it doesn't mean they're not capable of playing decent football when playing opponents who are of similar level to themselves. 

Given we have (on paper at least) players who have recently performed at a higher level to a reasonable standard, in our squad and there is at least some continuity in having those players signed up from previous season(s) then it isn't unreasonable to hope for a better end product on the park.

Of course, we all know that keeping players (and manager) from such a stinking squad who got relegated last year is probably the reason we are serving up the same shite. But, I think we are entitled to be (stupidly) optimistic at this stage.

The sad thing is we have some front players with pace, C Wilson, McLean, Byrne, Love etc.

Young lad Lynas too.

Farrell's plan is just lob high balls up the park to small guys and hope for the best though.

A competent manager could set us up as a decent counter attacking side, with those aforementioned players.

I live in hope 

Edited by Silverton End

33 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

The sad thing is we have some front players with pace, C Wilson, McLean, Byrne, Love etc.

Young lad Lynas too.

Farrell's plan is just lob high balls up the park to small guys and hope for the best though.

A competent manager could set us up as a decent counter attacking side, with those aforementioned players.

I live in hope 

Counter attacking would mean we'd need to defend competently.

17 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

You're not actually being optimistic though. You're collectively losing your shite because the touchline was taken in, which is where this insistence on swashbuckling play comes from. It's just your rolling meltdown about a manager that you don't like, turning a largely trivial detail into something else entirely. 

I do think the touchline issue is being taken out of proportion a bit. We've closed in the pitch by a few yards, so what? Will it make that much difference? Probably not. Stevie can throw about whatever reason he likes whether it's for long throws, better defending, drainage or rangers wanted it. At the end of the day we could play on a 5 a side pitch as long as we have a decent attempt at winning football matches which unfortunately is the main issue and what's lacking at the minute.