Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, Dylangt7 said:

maybe those involved at the club could look into taking payments on phones. Should technically be possible for the staff to use their own device but the funds still go to the club account.

Anything is possible these days, I was bucket shaking in Morrisons recently (no signings spotted) for charidee and could accept donations via an app in seconds... 

The roll shop at bearsden station do that. The fella who owns it is old and tech phobic so the counter lass takes card payments on her personal mobile. Good shout. 

I believe the season tickets will be QR codes for the first time also. A brave new world at Dumbarton.

36 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I believe the season tickets will be QR codes for the first time also. A brave new world at Dumbarton.

Yeah, I was told this when I renewed my ticket last week. QR code either on your phone or on a card of some description. They’re still finalising things.

52 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

1988261227_Screenshot_20220701-094039_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2a4d350d9c41984a26176809d9c2fbb5.jpg

49 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We've signed goalkeeper Harry Broun, who was our trialist on Saturday.

I saw him play for Kilwinning Rangers in the 'Kilmarnock Pie Cup' final a few weeks ago and thought he was absolutely excellent. He got Man of the Match that day. I looked him up afterwards and saw he was on loan from Kilmarnock and, based on that showing, I expected them to keep him and maybe loan him out to someone at our level.

He was good at the weekend too. Based on those 180 minutes I'm pleased we've brought him in. Looks like, for the first time in a very long time, we have two strong options between the sticks.

Typical hack - regurgitating others peoples' news 😉😉😉

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Great to see it so busy last night. Bought 2 kids' home strips and 2 season tickets, one of which is the excellent Young Sons membership. Merch was flying out the door and the place was jumping. Having an official shirt launch night was a brilliant novelty and it was cool seeing folk using the club for a midweek pint too. All things we don't usually have and a tonic to recent misfortune. It'd be ace if things like that could be more regular, but that may prove cost inefficient when not an anniversary. Maybe something for future discussion.

Side note, and something I've mentioned to stadium staff in the past, but if the club could get more debit card machines they'd be laughing. They currently have 1 to serve all 3 bars plus the club shop, so on match days if (like me) you aren't the carry cash type, buying a pint is a palaver and the staff can be a bit shirty about it. Last night was a perfect example of when more machines would have been a boon as there were 4 people serving at the club shop (3 serving the merch queue and 1 the season ticket queue) all sharing one payment machine. The bar staff said last season that the reason behind this is the WiFi signal not being strong enough, but there are boosters available for signal strength. Definitely worth looking into. (Constructive criticism, not negative).

Ahem.... this was raised with two Directors a month ago with a 'direction' to consider Argos literally up the road.  It's disappointing to hear how an avoidable failure to act impacted last night.

Point duly noted Pete and thanks for raising it.

That's exactly the type of signing I hoped we would make last preseason. Even after Ramsbottom had been retained I wanted us to find a young, hungry 'keeper looking at making his mark in the senior game. Either on loan or a deal like this. 

On paper, our squad is shaping up well but we need to get things right on the pitch tactically and on the training ground for the results to reflect what we really need.

As Moonster says above, another couple (at least 1 a striker please) and then it's over to Faz. It appears he has done fairly well so far in rectifying some of the disaster that was last season.

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Ahem.... this was raised with two Directors a month ago with a 'direction' to consider Argos literally up the road.  It's disappointing to hear how an avoidable failure to act impacted last night.

Not that it was in any way a hardship last night FYI. Just a useful thing to build on. Would cut queues, reduce stress for staff etc and any additional method for taking in £ can only be a good thing.

12 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

That's exactly the type of signing I hoped we would make last preseason. Even after Ramsbottom had been retained I wanted us to find a young, hungry 'keeper looking at making his mark in the senior game. Either on loan or a deal like this. 

On paper, our squad is shaping up well but we need to get things right on the pitch tactically and on the training ground for the results to reflect what we really need.

As Moonster says above, another couple (at least 1 a striker please) and then it's over to Faz. It appears he has done fairly well so far in rectifying some of the disaster that was last season.

Looks like being a close league this season with all the teams of similar quality more or less. And on paper ours is perfectly capable and fairly well balanced for this division. Form and good management will be the key factors in this division. Sadly. But he's done well this pre season in terms of rebuilding so let's remain optimistic.

Card readers are not expensive what is expensive can be the fees they usually want between 0.4-1.2 per cent of takings could possibly be the reason behind it if they took in ten k yesterday the card machine at that number depending if it’s credit cards of course would take 120 pound which doesn’t sound like a lot but if you you take in ten k every 2nd week it’s start to add up say over 20 home games means the provider would be getting 2k for the service
The other reason behind it which might be bit far fetched is if someone working is getting paid casual in cash example not declared to keep taxes down

49 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

The other reason behind it which might be bit far fetched is if someone working is getting paid casual in cash example not declared to keep taxes down

Far fetched? The Barrowland Ballroom is an all cash operation…

1 hour ago, kenrobell said:

Card readers are not expensive what is expensive can be the fees they usually want between 0.4-1.2 per cent of takings could possibly be the reason behind it if they took in ten k yesterday the card machine at that number depending if it’s credit cards of course would take 120 pound which doesn’t sound like a lot but if you you take in ten k every 2nd week it’s start to add up say over 20 home games means the provider would be getting 2k for the service

Not trying to be cheeky but I was actually referring to WI-FI boosters which are both inexpensive and efficient in my experience.

23 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Not trying to be cheeky but I was actually referring to WI-FI boosters which are both inexpensive and efficient in my experience.

I likewise recommended a decent and affordable one.