Sons' sorrow

23 hours ago, microdave said:

Sad news about our record appearance holder Johnny Graham passing away.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5405

I well remember Johnny scoring a beauty against Falkirk at Boghead in 1970. He got the ball at the edge of their box and flicked it over a defender's head, whom he ran round to hit the ball on the volley into the net. Sublime.

He also had the unique trick of seeming to let an opposition clearance go over his head in midfield before extending his superb left peg back behind him and without being able to see the ball using the back of that foot propel it forwards again - usually to a team mate. I've never seen anyone else do that.

So sad he's gone.

Hutton was an absoulute sham. hes one of the worst players ive seen in a sons shirt. 

Part of Mr Aitkens "Jobs for the boys" series of signings along with Andy Little

If you genuinely think that Hutton was one of the worst players you have seen in a Sons shirt then you know nothing about football

16 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Hutton was an absoulute sham. hes one of the worst players ive seen in a sons shirt. 

Part of Mr Aitkens "Jobs for the boys" series of signings along with Andy Little

Nonsense. There have been so many worse ones than Kyle Hutton. He managed to get POTY the year before he left so you certainly must have been in the minority.

I was a big fan of Hutton, whenever I saw him play. Which, admittedly was only every so often, but his pass completion rate was always really strong and he did the simple things excellently.

I think he’s one of those players that the majority of the fans weirdly hate even though they were really good. Colin Nish and John Dillon also spring to mind. I certainly wouldn’t put him in the same basket as Andy Little.

Conversely, you get players like Hammy (from our last stint in the bottom tier) who are absolutely hopeless, but the fans love because they run a lot.

Edited by FifeSons

Come on man. Kyle Hutton was fucking honky tonk and arguably worse than what Carswell has become. His career trajectory since leaving us would back that up. I also wouldn’t use winning a DFC POTY award as some sort of barometer of success, it’s voted for by our notorious weirdo fanbase and has seen such superstars as Conor Duthie and the infamous Stuart Carswell claim it in recent seasons. 

If folk think Kyle Hutton was good for us they must view Jonny Routledge and Chris Turner like Iniesta and Xavi. 

Come on man. Kyle Hutton was fucking honky tonk and arguably worse than what Carswell has become. His career trajectory since leaving us would back that up. I also wouldn’t use winning a DFC POTY award as some sort of barometer of success, it’s voted for by our notorious weirdo fanbase and has seen such superstars as Conor Duthie and the infamous Stuart Carswell claim it in recent seasons. 
If folk think Kyle Hutton was good for us they must view Jonny Routledge and Chris Turner like Iniesta and Xavi. 

I have it on good authority that Xavi wears Chris Turner pyjamas. Otherwise, everything else above is correct.

So who is going along to the launch night tonight? It’s good to see the club opening the doors and making an event of the kit launch, at a good time of year as well. Hopefully thy make it an annual event and not a one off for the 150 celebrations.

9 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Nonsense. There have been so many worse ones than Kyle Hutton. He managed to get POTY the year before he left so you certainly must have been in the minority.

connor duthie got POTY so did carswell so that stands for f**k all

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The fact that Dom Thomas scored 14 goals and assisted nine in 26 appearances for us. Effectively saving us from relegation single handedly (whilst scoring some of the best goals I've ever seen and the best hat-trick I've seen live), yet didn't win POTY is one of the biggest mysteries of our time.

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I was a big fan of Hutton, whenever I saw him play. Which, admittedly was only every so often, but his pass completion rate was always really strong and he did the simple things excellently.

I think he’s one of those players that the majority of the fans weirdly hate even though they were really good. Colin Nish and John Dillon also spring to mind. I certainly wouldn’t put him in the same basket as Andy Little.

Conversely, you get players like Hammy (from our last stint in the bottom tier) who are absolutely hopeless, but the fans love because they run a lot.

Colin Nish and John Dillon should not be compared with Kyle Hutton.  Any weird hating came from Nish being gangly and awkward whilst JD's running gait always made him look short of pace.

However, Nish's sublime lob of the Livi keeper from 40 yards and deft lay-offs and JD's almost faultless finishes from one-on-ones rather compensated.

Conversely, to use your word, Hutton has always 'looked like a player' rather than actually being one, and he has lazily basked in his former Old Firm status.  I doubt he'll trouble the Hall of Fame 

I was a ballboy when Dillon was strutting his stuff, he was always brilliant with younger fans. I remember him teaching me how to hit penalties and I've never forgotten his advice despite me having a piss poor amateur career. He was a terrific servant to Dumbarton making 262 appearances across 8 years. Kyle Hutton made 119 appearances over 3 seasons, only one of which he was any good and fucked off after it. The two should never be mentioned in the same breath. 

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Hutton was hoachin' but CT is Iniesta. 

13 minutes ago, the snudge said:

What a weird turn in conversation. John Dillon and Kyle Hutton being compared! 

The joys of the close season.  And also a good guide to a poster's age based on the players mentioned. 

EG. Was Benny Rooney's howitzer against WBA in the world club championship game the greatest pre-season goal by a Dumbarton player? 

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Colin Nish and John Dillon should not be compared with Kyle Hutton.  Any weird hating came from Nish being gangly and awkward whilst JD's running gait always made him look short of pace.

However, Nish's sublime lob of the Livi keeper from 40 yards and deft lay-offs and JD's almost faultless finishes from one-on-ones rather compensated.

Conversely, to use your word, Hutton has always 'looked like a player' rather than actually being one, and he has lazily basked in his former Old Firm status.  I doubt he'll trouble the Hall of Fame 

Colin Nish was hopeless. Only player I’ve seen that’s got shorter when he jumped. Useless 

Anyways. Aside from the John Dillion Hutton debate 

went to the kit launch. Excellent turn out. Kits flying off the shelf. What a difference it makes having a kit that people want to buy and it appeals to! 

Side note, left at 7ish and our new vice captain was turning up late for his training 👀🤣

25 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Anyways. Aside from the John Dillion Hutton debate 

went to the kit launch. Excellent turn out. Kits flying off the shelf. What a difference it makes having a kit that people want to buy and it appeals to! 

Side note, left at 7ish and our new vice captain was turning up late for his training 👀🤣

He might have been working. Part time players remember!