Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

we are all quick to slate him after a bad season but realistically regarding spending the wage he earns on someone else. who is that someone else then? who is that "Far better player" you think you'll manage to attract to league 2?

Open to actually hear some names you think are available and better than him.

Carswell has been a consistent feature in our downfall from the glory days of finishing 5th in the championship.  

Time to freshen it up

Carswell was at his best with somebody beside him sharing the workload. He's been progressively worse since Kyle Hutton left us. Hutton probably never got the credit he deserved for the role he played with us.

I'm not against him staying with us but something needs to change. A midfield 2 of Carswell and McKee would be hopeless, and that raises doubts about how we actually set the midfield up this year? Not that Wilson and Carswell would be a great combo. I'm still not sure how we set out our midfield and forwards unless we go 4-2-3-1?

Lots for Farrell to decide before the start of the season. Either we improve for the drop in division or he gets the first quarter before being punted. It has the same feeling as the end of Stevie Aitken.

18 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The bookies haven't a clue about this level of football and are responding to bets placed- themselves a complete stab in the dark at present with over a month to go until the start of the league season

I’d be fairly shocked if there have been any bets placed on Bonnyrigg for the league tbh. They have to have a starting point before bets are placed so I’m guessing this it, I’d expect those odds to shift a fair whack over the next week or two.

In other news I see the 25 quid bus to the Gretna friendly has been cancelled. Colour me shocked!

16 minutes ago, microdave said:

Sad news about our record appearance holder Johnny Graham passing away.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5405

Very sad news indeed, and it has become a sobering month for Sons fans of a certain age with the loss firstly of Davie Wilson and now 'Casper', two members of the Sons 2nd Division Championship-winning team of 1972.  For those of us who saw them this was the side which set the standard all subsequent Dumbarton teams have aspired to.

In my opinion it is entirely fitting that the two players who have made the most appearances for the club, Johnny Graham (385) and Lawrie Williams (372), were the two Sons players of the modern era who should have gone on to play at a higher level, but it was our great good fortune that they did not.

Johnny's passing makes his recent appearance at the 50th celebration dinner of the '72 team's achievement and the induction of himself and his team-mates as inaugural entrants to the Hall Of Fame all the more poignant. 

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The bookies haven't a clue about this level of football and are responding to bets placed- themselves a complete stab in the dark at present with over a month to go until the start of the league season

To be fair who does this year?

Championship you’re thinking Dundee clear favourites with maybe Inverness and Partick Thistle pushing them. 

League 1 maybe Dunfermline / Falkirk top 2 with QoTS not far behind

League 2 though.... Couldn’t even confidently predict a team to finish in the top 4. Should be exciting but bad for a coupon

16 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Carswell was at his best with somebody beside him sharing the workload. He's been progressively worse since Kyle Hutton left us. Hutton probably never got the credit he deserved for the role he played with us.

I'm not against him staying with us but something needs to change. A midfield 2 of Carswell and McKee would be hopeless, and that raises doubts about how we actually set the midfield up this year? Not that Wilson and Carswell would be a great combo. I'm still not sure how we set out our midfield and forwards unless we go 4-2-3-1?

Lots for Farrell to decide before the start of the season. Either we improve for the drop in division or he gets the first quarter before being punted. It has the same feeling as the end of Stevie Aitken.

Hutton was an absoulute sham. hes one of the worst players ive seen in a sons shirt. 

Part of Mr Aitkens "Jobs for the boys" series of signings along with Andy Little

47 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Hutton was an absoulute sham. hes one of the worst players ive seen in a sons shirt. 

Part of Mr Aitkens "Jobs for the boys" series of signings along with Andy Little

Hutton had a stigma, if you will, attached to him when he signed that some fans couldn't let go of but in his last couple of seasons he was miles ahead of Carswell and that was playing with a foot that needed surgery as well if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, sarti pooh said:

Hutton had a stigma, if you will, attached to him when he signed that some fans couldn't let go of but in his last couple of seasons he was miles ahead of Carswell and that was playing with a foot that needed surgery as well if I'm not mistaken.

It's noticeable how our midfield deteriorated when Hutton left, he was able to do the simple stuff, break up play, easy passes etc.

Not always easy on the eye but very effective.

2 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

It's noticeable how our midfield deteriorated when Hutton left, he was able to do the simple stuff, break up play, easy passes etc.

Not always easy on the eye but very effective.

This. Hutton was one of those players that it was only really noticeable what he did, when he wasn't there doing it.

Let's not try to rewrite history here guys.  Kyle Hutton was for the most part utter gash and it took him almost 100 games to find any sort of worthwhile form at Dumbarton - because the midfield has remained poor since he left shouldn't disguise the fact that it was also poor when he was in it.

Hutton definitely divided opinion and clearly still does. For me, he didn't do enough and wasn't particularly fussed when he left. The fact he left us to go to EK and join Aitken says enough about his desire to play rather than just get some money.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Let's not try to rewrite history here guys.  Kyle Hutton was for the most part utter gash and it took him almost 100 games to find any sort of worthwhile form at Dumbarton - because the midfield has remained poor since he left shouldn't disguise the fact that it was also poor when he was in it.

Absolutely this.