Sons' sorrow

35 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

never mind all that shite about performance and how we knocked the ball about etc.....how did the new kit look? anyone get some snaps of it 

There's a video on the Caledonian Braves Facebook showing their goal. The numbers appear to just be printed on the back so there's not like a white box or anything like that. Would like to hear from anyone who seen it in the flesh as well?

In terms of the goal itself absolutely awful case of just losing a man from a set piece. Can't see who it is marking him though. 

https://fb.watch/dTYto0iqS9/

23 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

There's a video on the Caledonian Braves Facebook showing their goal. The numbers appear to just be printed on the back so there's not like a white box or anything like that. Would like to hear from anyone who seen it in the flesh as well?

In terms of the goal itself absolutely awful case of just losing a man from a set piece. Can't see who it is marking him though. 

https://fb.watch/dTYto0iqS9/

the front of that kit looks great, the back I am not yet sold on. 

Tidy finish from the boy that got their goal...sign him up 

That's it been announced that McGeever is the new captain with Buchanan vice-captain. Fair enough given the lack of leadership last season but you wonder how this leaves Farrell and Carswell's relationship and things. Or if we will possibly look to negotiate him out. I know it says otherwise on the website but you can't see this going down well.

Although, I also wouldn't be shocked if Carswell isn't arsed one bit... that's how he seems to have been the last couple of years (even longer maybe!) anyway.

those rumours about Carswell missing training before our relegation game are probably true then?

Personally think Carswell has hung about for too long, hopefully we can agree to release him from his contract and can get new faces in.

10 minutes ago, East of the Rock said:

Would anyone agree Carswell was better for us before he became captain or am I talking rubbish? Maybe relieving him of his captaincy duties will give him a new lease of life?? 

Carswell was good in his first couple of season. Since he won POTY then he has been rotten really. Think the year after he won it was Kyle Hutton's last and he won it. Carswell hasn't bothered his arse for any reasonable time since we were in the championship though, apart from the odd decent match here and there.

He just isn't really a leader on or off the pitch, in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Carsy (rightly or wrongly) getting chucked under the bus there by Faz.

It might be that the website statement is true and it suits Carswell not to be captain. I remember it happening at Killie where Garry Hay felt his performances were suffering as captain and gave the armband to James Fowler. Or it may have been vice versa, but the same outcome either way. It might be a fresh start for Carswell to concentrate solely on playing duties. 

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

It might be that the website statement is true and it suits Carswell not to be captain. I remember it happening at Killie where Garry Hay felt his performances were suffering as captain and gave the armband to James Fowler. Or it may have been vice versa, but the same outcome either way. It might be a fresh start for Carswell to concentrate solely on playing duties. 

I suppose the proof will be in the pudding.

Carswell stated last summer that a big reason for him staying was that he was assured he'd keep the captaincy as it was important to him. Perhaps that has changed in a year but I suspect this isn't Carswells choice. I agree Carsy needs a fresh start, I just felt he'd be better making that start in any other jersey than a Sons one. 

I don’t think the change of captaincy is a bad one, McGeever strikes me as a more natural leader than Carswell and Carswell’s form since being appointed captain has been fairly rotten.  I just hope there isn’t any bad blood there, Farrell’s man management skills leave a lot to be desired and this move concerns me that there has been a bit of a falling out. 

The thing I really don’t understand is giving the vice captaincy to Gregor Buchanan. The guy fumbles his way through games unless he is paired with an experienced centre back who can talk him through games, how the hell is he going to cope being the leader of the entire team when he struggles being the most experienced guy in his own position? Are the players going to be inspired by a guy who regularly makes catastrophic blunders that cost goals? Demoting Carswell to vice captain would have been a more sensible move IMO, lets hope McGeever manages to stay fit for the full season.

Carswell stated last summer that a big reason for him staying was that he was assured he'd keep the captaincy as it was important to him. Perhaps that has changed in a year but I suspect this isn't Carswells choice. I agree Carsy needs a fresh start, I just felt he'd be better making that start in any other jersey than a Sons one. 
https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4941

Well remembered Moonster.

The only time I can remember a captain losing the armband without leaving the club was Andy Graham but that was with a new manager arriving and wanting his own captain. And Graham was away shortly after the season started. I think history and the fragile ego of a footballer means Carswell will soon be away. And I'll be fine with that too.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This.  If it was so important then his captaincy last season left a lot to be desired, and from what I can gather things weren't too great off the pitch either and not just Traininggate.

Sometimes a fresh start can be in the interest of both parties, and maybe the player himself would now be open to offers.

If he is offski then I think that's a real opportunity to strengthen.

He'll be one of our bigger earners plus I don't think he's creative enough to cause other teams trouble or destructive enough to be a great ball winner.

His wedge could go towards a much better player.

2 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Carsy (rightly or wrongly) getting chucked under the bus there by Faz.

I don't really understand how?

Definitely feel like a change would help.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, I feel like regarding the fresh start elsewhere, but part of me also thinks that Carsy will be happy getting a decent wage to coast through a league 2 season contributing very little (and now without a great deal of responsibility) too. As a few have said before, time will tell.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carswell pitch up at Drumchapel or the likes in the wosfl. His performances haven't been anywhere near good enough in what is supposed to be the engine room of the team. He could have been our Mark Noble aswell. It's ashame, but we should wish him well, say thanks for the service and part ways.

we are all quick to slate him after a bad season but realistically regarding spending the wage he earns on someone else. who is that someone else then? who is that "Far better player" you think you'll manage to attract to league 2?

Open to actually hear some names you think are available and better than him.

6 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

we are all quick to slate him after a bad season but realistically regarding spending the wage he earns on someone else. who is that someone else then? who is that "Far better player" you think you'll manage to attract to league 2?

Charlie Telfer.

57 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Carlos Lyon

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Kyle Hutton 😬