Sons' sorrow

It was 4-4-2 throughout, but bucky and mcniff were often really far apart. 

New players; lynas, love and byrne look promising.

Trilaists; the redheaded midfielder (findlay gray?) was in amongst it, but was often a half second behind the play.  No other caught the eye.

Braves; very technical and content with a short fast passing game, a few of their players looked more than comfortable in the game and I really liked their left back.

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

It was 4-4-2 throughout, but bucky and mcniff were often really far apart. 

New players; lynas, love and byrne look promising.

Trilaists; the redheaded midfielder (findlay gray?) was in amongst it, but was often a half second behind the play.  No other caught the eye.

Braves; very technical and content with a short fast passing game, a few of their players looked more than comfortable in the game and I really liked their left back.

Ah, Findlay Gray is the grandson of a sons fan I think. He played against us for St Mirren u21s a couple of year back I think (unless I've got it wrong).

Findlay Gray had a fairly impressive season in the Lowland League AFAIK last year. 9 goals from midfield I’m sure. 

I’m not against us taking a look at guys like that. I much prefer that to some old journeyman who was good 5 years ago but can barely run the length of himself.

I’m hearing young Wilson looked quite good today.

23 minutes ago, microdave said:

Re Carswell, if the rumour that he ditched training to go to a Rangers game towards the end of the season is true then he fully deserves to lose the captaincy. If not more tbh.

I think he was questioned by a fan (possibly the guy who made the claim) and firmly denied it, from what I recall.

52 minutes ago, microdave said:

Re Carswell, if the rumour that he ditched training to go to a Rangers game towards the end of the season is true then he fully deserves to lose the captaincy. If not more tbh.

His stupid red card in injury time for abusing the ref, when we were already beat, with a huge game to come the following week which he was then going to be suspended for done it for me. I'd have stripped him of it then and there.

That was one of the most instantly forgettable games of football I've seen. Fair play to 'Caledonian Braves' who knocked the ball about very sharply and probably merited the win. Not that the result is especially important in pre-season, but I was impressed by them. They played some very easy on the eye football.

We just didn't look particularly sharp or at it at any stage. I don't know if it was a hangover from Thursday night or what, but there was just a bit of quality lacking from our play all day.

I thought Finlay Gray struggled a fair bit in central midfield alongside Ryan Blair, and you could see we were being overrun. He looked  a lot more comfortable when he moved over to right-back and, based on what I saw today, I'd like us to take another few looks at him. I think he might be a handy player. Likewise Harry Broun in goals, who actually caught my eye playing for Kilwinning in the Killie Pie Cup Final the other week. He made an excellent save at 0-0 and was pretty solid all match.

The young striker, 'Carlos Lyon' and the other trialist didn't do an awful lot. But the service to our forwards also wasn't fantastic.

In terms of new faces, I liked what I saw from Aron Lynas. He was very vocal, very physical, didn't shirk a challenge and looked like a honest workhorse of a player. I think the same possibly could be said for Declan Byrne who, weirdly, looks like a scaled down Gaz Fleming. I saw enough from him today to think he'll cause a few problems once he's fit.

Martin McNiff looked a bit awkward and clumsy, but that's really just his style I think. He was okay. And Ryan Blair was exactly the player we were told he was. He pinged some gorgeous passes, but also didn't look overly keen on tackling folk or doing much else. His range of passing and dead ball delivery was really decent though.

David Wilson was similar. He had a few clumsy moments and a few where he looked head and shoulders above everyone else. Which is how I remember him from his first spell. He's a funny player; he flicks between Xabi Alonso and James Allan in about three touches.

I thought Ally Love made a very positive impact when he came on. His touch was excellent and he looked very sharp compared to a good few of his teammates. I'm quite looking forward to seeing more of him in action.

I'm hoping for a big improvement performance wise against Gretna next week; but I'm also not daft enough to read too much into a pre-season friendly in June. This time last year we beat Motherwell and, even more unbelievably, kept a clean sheet(!). Both Wallace and McKee should be training on Tuesday, so hopefully they can come through unscathed and get some minutes in the legs next week as they could be vital for us.

First time in the last few years I haven't even bothered to keep up with what drivel is going down at the rock . Just checked and realised iv not missed much , not that I expected much considering stevie FRAUD is still there. 

No doubt the happy clap brigade are still waving flags and blowing whistles blowing smoke up farrells arse. 

The fact he's still incharge is a slap in every fans face. Whilst the clappers still stand by the disasters and refuse to take action the non existant owners will drive the club into extinction .    Perhaps hitting prehistoric times like the bankies will project us back in the upwards direction,  after all they are excelling and soon will push past us. They are miles beyond us In academy , development and talent management 

I see Montrose streamed their game today. Presumably that’s allowed because it was only a friendly and nothing else was on today. I haven’t heard it being 100% confirmed yet, but I guess streaming will be gone for this season?

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was one of the most instantly forgettable games of football I've seen. Fair play to 'Caledonian Braves' who knocked the ball about very sharply and probably merited the win. Not that the result is especially important in pre-season, but I was impressed by them. They played some very easy on the eye football.

We just didn't look particularly sharp or at it at any stage. I don't know if it was a hangover from Thursday night or what, but there was just a bit of quality lacking from our play all day.

I thought Finlay Gray struggled a fair bit in central midfield alongside Ryan Blair, and you could see we were being overrun. He looked  a lot more comfortable when he moved over to right-back and, based on what I saw today, I'd like us to take another few looks at him. I think he might be a handy player. Likewise Harry Broun in goals, who actually caught my eye playing for Kilwinning in the Killie Pie Cup Final the other week. He made an excellent save at 0-0 and was pretty solid all match.

The young striker, 'Carlos Lyon' and the other trialist didn't do an awful lot. But the service to our forwards also wasn't fantastic.

In terms of new faces, I liked what I saw from Aron Lynas. He was very vocal, very physical, didn't shirk a challenge and looked like a honest workhorse of a player. I think the same possibly could be said for Declan Byrne who, weirdly, looks like a scaled down Gaz Fleming. I saw enough from him today to think he'll cause a few problems once he's fit.

Martin McNiff looked a bit awkward and clumsy, but that's really just his style I think. He was okay. And Ryan Blair was exactly the player we were told he was. He pinged some gorgeous passes, but also didn't look overly keen on tackling folk or doing much else. His range of passing and dead ball delivery was really decent though.

David Wilson was similar. He had a few clumsy moments and a few where he looked head and shoulders above everyone else. Which is how I remember him from his first spell. He's a funny player; he flicks between Xabi Alonso and James Allan in about three touches.

I thought Ally Love made a very positive impact when he came on. His touch was excellent and he looked very sharp compared to a good few of his teammates. I'm quite looking forward to seeing more of him in action.

I'm hoping for a big improvement performance wise against Gretna next week; but I'm also not daft enough to read too much into a pre-season friendly in June. This time last year we beat Motherwell and, even more unbelievably, kept a clean sheet(!). Both Wallace and McKee should be training on Tuesday, so hopefully they can come through unscathed and get some minutes in the legs next week as they could be vital for us.

Thanks for the comprehensive update.

That’s fairly encouraging about Lynas. Full-back is probably the area I’m most concerned about.

14 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

He's only still here because they couldn't afford to punt him.

I'm not so sure, I mean we are still handing out 2yr deals to players - Ryan Wallace.

I think Farrell's in wi the bricks down there.

13 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Ah, Findlay Gray is the grandson of a sons fan I think. He played against us for St Mirren u21s a couple of year back I think (unless I've got it wrong).

I think what you say is correct thought he was easily the best of the trialist although none of them got much help from the signed players and maybe we should ask his granddad to play centre back 

I don’t buy the “we can’t afford to sack him” line. Are we flush with cash, absolutely not but I don’t think we are in as dire a situation as some make out.

The pressure is on SF to perform this year, no excuses. Right or wrong the club have backed him, new/improved pitch, increased backroom team and players on 2 year deals. I hope he turns it round but there is just something in my mind that says no chance. He will need to have learned a massive amount from last season. I am no footballing expert but last season it was obvious he got his tactics wrong in a lot of games and his player management seemed no existent.

After Buchanan’s performances at the end of last season he should be nowhere near the captains armband and unless there are injuries I would start with McGeever and Mcniff at the back.

Make no mistake we should be aiming for automatic promotion, anything below is a disappointment for me.

never mind all that shite about performance and how we knocked the ball about etc.....how did the new kit look? anyone get some snaps of it 

2 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

I don’t buy the “we can’t afford to sack him” line. Are we flush with cash, absolutely not but I don’t think we are in as dire a situation as some make out.

The pressure is on SF to perform this year, no excuses. Right or wrong the club have backed him, new/improved pitch, increased backroom team and players on 2 year deals. I hope he turns it round but there is just something in my mind that says no chance. He will need to have learned a massive amount from last season. I am no footballing expert but last season it was obvious he got his tactics wrong in a lot of games and his player management seemed no existent.

After Buchanan’s performances at the end of last season he should be nowhere near the captains armband and unless there are injuries I would start with McGeever and Mcniff at the back.

Make no mistake we should be aiming for automatic promotion, anything below is a disappointment for me.

You know he has been a manager for a few years now? You mention poor tactics , poor management and learning a massive amount as if he is/was a rookie. He has managed in League 1 before and even more in league 2. He should know the leagues and what is required by now, in my opinion. 

I'm also pretty sure the financial side of things isn't great right now. What I would question is whether the relegation has cost us more money than it would have cost to pay off SF a few months ago before it was too late. I appreciate there was a risk as we may have ended up going down anyway, but we all knew the inevitable was going to happen some time before the last few games.