Sons' sorrow

47 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm going to prefix this by saying that there's a cigarette paper between the vast majority of teams in the division and every set of fans could rightly claim they should be making the playoffs and perhaps make a title challenge.

Dumbarton fans initially claimed their retained/2 year deal players were a waste of a jersey, the club off field was in turmoil and 'doing a Brechin' wasn't off the cards. After a few signings which seem like largely mid table league 2 quality, the mood seems to have drastically improved.

Was it just a case of pessimism and despair after a poor season and overstating how bad the current crop were? 

I'll start by saying the club off field very much still is in turmoil. Shady owners, no communication and a feeling they're ready to f**k the club over at any given moment. 

That being said the anger I felt was just a combination of factors. Poor players, management and ownership all played a part in it. One of the rare things we had heard from the owners was about making the club into this sustainable full time championship side. Farrell came in as manager and talked a good game yet we were relegated through the playoffs. The second leg in particular was which set me off on a rage in particular knowing we needed goals yet there was no urgency or effort that I could see. You can accept relegation but it was more the manner of it.

So I think the pessimism probably came from that really or certainly for me it did. As you say are the signings themselves absolutely outstanding? Almost certainly not but I think it's just some new bodies in which usually helps anyway. I think as well people have accepted that the players on 2 year deals will be there and so will the manager so we might as well just get on with it for now. The kit announcement has been the most positive reaction I've seen in years as well for anything the club has done. Hopefully there's a team on the pitch that can do it justice. 

6 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Dumbarton fans initially claimed their retained/2 year deal players were a waste of a jersey, the club off field was in turmoil and 'doing a Brechin' wasn't off the cards. After a few signings which seem like largely mid table league 2 quality, the mood seems to have drastically improved.

Was it just a case of pessimism and despair after a poor season and overstating how bad the current crop were? 

I think you’re confusing positivity about a kit and maybe folk like me saying we have the strongest team on paper, and that the manager should be expected to challenge for the title, with what we actually think will happen.

At a surface level, yes we look strong, but when you peek behind that, there are still huge question marks over the players that were retained (and arguably every signing other than Brett Long). Big names (for League 2) on good salaries like Buchanan and Carswell, who were absolutely dire for us last season and we’d have been happy to see to binned, are a good example.

FWIW I think we will be bookies favourites and most people on this forum’s favourites. Personally, I think we will struggle and at best be within touching distance of 4th, without making it.

Edited by FifeSons

I'm not seeing why we're favourites tbh, nor am I understanding the optimism some seem to have for a title challenge. Sure, none of the other teams look terribly great, but we still have much the same defence as we had last year when we were chucking them in at a laughable rate and I'm not convinced the manager knows how to use our best players. 

I think we have, on paper, a decent enough squad to challenge for the playoffs. But I also think that almost every other team in this league will be thinking the same. Stenny would be league favourites for me at this stage. But not in a way that the likes of Kelty, QP or Cove have been previously. I don't think there's a huge amount between our squads - but they have more firepower and a better defence than we do imo.

After that you could basically pick anyone. On paper I'd say we have a similar squad quality and depth wise to the likes of Forfar, Stirling Albion. But it's going to go down to how well managed a team is, whether or not key players avoid injury and whether or not signing that on paper looks handy can actually deliver.

I genuinely don't see there being very much at all between fourth place and eighth/ninth or even 10th. 

Whilst some of the guys on two year deals didn’t have a great season last year they haven’t become bad players overnight. The likes of McGeever (he wasn’t bad last season, just injured), MacLean, McKee, Wilson, and Orsi should be able to perform at this level, this time last year we were all happy with these guys signing for the level above. I wouldn’t say Wallace or Long are mid table League 2 signings and I’d be surprised if any team in the league would have been disappointed with those signings. The other signings look to have been well thought out albeit unspectacular and I think this years squad looks better balanced than last years with a better combination of more technical players and grafters, the fact we have 2 strikers instantly gives the squad more balance. The likes of Ally Love, McNiff and David Wilson should do a job and by all accounts Byrne should as well if he stays fit. A fit McGeever and a competent goalkeeper  should improve a defence that was extremely leaky last year. The manager worries me more than the players but I’m hoping he’s learned some lessons. He really needs to have our more influential players in their actual positions, particularly Ross MacLean who is completely wasted up front but can be a game changer on his day.

We should be aiming for top 4 at the least but it’s going to be tight with very little between the teams IMO.

16 hours ago, FifeSons said:

FWIW I think we will be bookies favourites and most people on this forum’s favourites. Personally, I think we will struggle and at best be within touching distance of 4th, without making it.

The bookies initially tend to favour relegated teams, especially if they have a larger fan base/more recent 'success' before letting the market find it's level after people start placing bets. As a result, it wouldn't surprise me if Dumbarton started bookies favourites.

I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of people on this forum thought Dumbarton are favourites. 

3 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Interesting that Buchanan is captain but carswell is playing too 

167343A9-46B1-4D79-84AA-4073BD94F039.jpeg

Might have missed something but a couple of guys missing. McGeever and Lynas. Wonder who will play where? Possibly Carswell at RB?

ETA: no striker starting either.

Yes it is early days and we know very little... but this is exactly what we have all been waiting for 😂

Edited by squeezebox-son

3 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Might have missed something but a couple of guys missing. McGeever and Lynas. Wonder who will play where? Possibly Carswell at RB?

ETA: no striker starting either.

Yes it is early days and we know very little... but this is exactly what we have all been waiting for 😂

McGeever won't be ready to play until the end of July at least as I understand it. That's certainly what he was saying last month anyway.

No McKee, Lynas, Wallace or Lynch tonight. Forgot how much these friendlies and guessing was :lol:

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Not good, looks like Wallace is in a huff already! 

On a slightly more serious note, the fact that graphic hasn't listed players in positional or numerical order has annoyed me more than it should. 

That graphic is pretty horrendous for seeing the subs.

I have just been blinded.

I'd go with that being:

Long

Carswell Buchanan McNiff Wylde

MacLean D.Wilson Blair C.Wilson

Trialist Love

Although it could easily be five across the middle with Love up top on his own, or MacLean and Love up top with a trialist in centre-mid. I think Faz sees Love as a striker though; and the fact he's got the number nine shirt probably confirms that.

I said it earlier, but whilst I wouldn't disagree with Carsy having the armband taken off him, I don't think Bucky is a captain either.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not seeing why we're favourites tbh, nor am I understanding the optimism some seem to have for a title challenge. Sure, none of the other teams look terribly great, but we still have much the same defence as we had last year when we were chucking them in at a laughable rate and I'm not convinced the manager knows how to use our best players. 

The last time we dropped to this level most I suspect Sons fans thought we'd make the promotion play-offs. We ended up fifth.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of people on this forum thought Dumbarton are favourites. 

That will depend on what they think of our manager. Judged by the playing squad, I think we will be. Like I say, not in my eyes, but to the average outsider.