Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Anyone know why it appears Bucky wasn’t at training on Thursday night?

With a bit of luck, perhaps we are looking to offload him.

I noticed Frank's interview had him saying, "There will also be a bit of movement before the transfer window closes, but we are delighted with what we have to date."

Which in the context, read to me that we are still trying to negotiate with players who are in the squad. Although, I doubt Buchanan would be the one (one of the ones) we will look to move on.

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Maybe out with his Da tracking down fans that critiqued his performances....

We’ll probably create a new staff role so Buchanan Sr can pursue it full-time!

Edited by FifeSons

7 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

With a bit of luck, perhaps we are looking to offload him.

I noticed Frank's interview had him saying, "There will also be a bit of movement before the transfer window closes, but we are delighted with what we have to date."

Which in the context, read to me that we are still trying to negotiate with players who are in the squad. Although, I doubt Buchanan would be the one (one of the ones) we will look to move on.

I'm surprised that there hasnt been departures from the group on 2y deals.  Paton might be the only one who left for something better, but I kind of imagined that some of them wouldn't have fancied playing in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

I'm surprised that there hasnt been departures from the group on 2y deals.  Paton might be the only one who left for something better, but I kind of imagined that some of them wouldn't have fancied playing in the 2nd.

Maybe they’re all happy to continue being wage thiefs?!

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

I can't imagine there was loads of clubs out there who had seen these guys play and based on performances thought they would be a good addition

I can understand all the negativity after last season but it’s becoming a bit tedious now that we are heading into a new season - in our 150th year no less. 

I’m no fan of the manager if I’m being perfectly honest and he would probably have to mount a serious title challenge to convince me otherwise, but I genuinely think this squad of players SHOULD be good enough to do that at this level. We require a couple of signings in certain positions of course but as a starting point I’m not too disappointed with where the squad is at right now. My main concern is that the manager wont play the right guys in the right positions but you can’t tell me the following starting 11 shouldn’t be good enough to be challenging at the right end of the table vs the other squads in the division at this stage…

D961C7D4-DE39-4826-A0CD-29BFA2F57522.thumb.jpeg.41da0f8ea0c440c0510c244e5cb03791.jpeg

Left back is our weakest area without a doubt, hopefully we’ll see some reinforcements there but I still Wylde can cope fine at this level. I wouldn’t be against David Wilson starting in place of Carswell or McKee but I genuinely think someone like McKee can be a game changer for us this season. I’d like to see us utilise our creative players more and attck with intent. Another striker is a must IMO, we need depth and options there.

They had a bad season together last year but lets hope a bit of continuity and some renewed desire will see this mob finally gel. They haven’t become terrible players overnight and we know the majority of them can perforn to a much higher standard than they did last season. 

24 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can understand all the negativity after last season but it’s becoming a bit tedious now that we are heading into a new season - in our 150th year no less. 

I’m no fan of the manager if I’m being perfectly honest and he would probably have to mount a serious title challenge to convince me otherwise, but I genuinely think this squad of players SHOULD be good enough to do that at this level. We require a couple of signings in certain positions of course but as a starting point I’m not too disappointed with where the squad is at right now. My main concern is that the manager wont play the right guys in the right positions but you can’t tell me the following starting 11 shouldn’t be good enough to be challenging at the right end of the table vs the other squads in the division at this stage…

D961C7D4-DE39-4826-A0CD-29BFA2F57522.thumb.jpeg.41da0f8ea0c440c0510c244e5cb03791.jpeg

Left back is our weakest area without a doubt, hopefully we’ll see some reinforcements there but I still Wylde can cope fine at this level. I wouldn’t be against David Wilson starting in place of Carswell or McKee but I genuinely think someone like McKee can be a game changer for us this season. I’d like to see us utilise our creative players more and attck with intent. Another striker is a must IMO, we need depth and options there.

They had a bad season together last year but lets hope a bit of continuity and some renewed desire will see this mob finally gel. They haven’t become terrible players overnight and we know the majority of them can perforn to a much higher standard than they did last season. 

I think that when you look at the team there and include guys like McNiff, Wilson and Orsi as well you'd say we have a decent enough squad to hopefully challenge at the right end of the table. We definitely need another striker and keeper and as much as I'd like another option for left back it's going to be Wylde's position to start the season I'd say.

Despite what I post on here I'm actually feeling mildly positive about it all. I don't think Farrell should have been kept on but he has so we just need to see how it plays out really. The Board and owners can get to f**k but that's not on the players or Farrell either. 

In the past 8 seasons we've had 1 that we've finished with more than 40 points. Call it blind hope or desperation but hopefully we can improve that stat a bit 

20 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I would say that the pricing structure and range of offers at DFC is vastly improved from years gone by when there was an expectation that the public should just turn up, no questions asked.

Part of this was a local attitude thing and part was a general football conceit that the game itself had no need of shite like responding to it's customer and acting accordingly.

However, whilst offers, incentives and improved facilities and communications are all welcome, nothing better has ever been found at our level for putting bums on seats than a team playing decent, watchable and winning football.

Good point. I think the largest, sustained home supports in my lifetime was the season we won the 3rd Division. Score goals, win games and they will come (regardless of the level).

As I said before, on paper this team should be title challengers. It has some big names that will be on good money. The expectations set for the manager should be to win the league. Anything less than challenging from the off should have him gone. I’d like to think most of us would agree on that.

However, I have some big concerns about a lot of those big names on good money. You’ve got some who’s form seems to have deserted them (Carswell, Buchanan), the question whether McGeever will be the same player post-injury, and then a few that the manager seems to not fancy or doesn’t know how to use (C. Wilson, McKee). Not to mention, Wallace, who on paper also sounds good, but undoubtedly has question marks about whether he’s the same player he was at Stranraer and Arbroath.

I think I’ve safely banged the drum on the manager to death and then some. I fully expect this season to just be more of the same as we saw last season and don’t believe he’ll have us anywhere near challenging for the title. However, there’s obviously no option now but to give him the first quarter. 

58 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Call me crazy but that’s a very Isaccy Layne looking figure behind Joe McKee there…

D3DE4BDC-A752-43A3-BAAD-1ED146BFF72A.jpeg.d27c3955e9a99c55956a4373958f37a7.jpeg

Are there any clearer pics of the mystery men?

Doesn't look like he had a club last season. Presumably no one would take him on with his injuries.

I can't find his Twitter either to see what he's up to.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Call me crazy but that’s a very Isaccy Layne looking figure behind Joe McKee there…

D3DE4BDC-A752-43A3-BAAD-1ED146BFF72A.jpeg.d27c3955e9a99c55956a4373958f37a7.jpeg

Are there any clearer pics of the mystery men?

If it is Isaac would anyone take a punt on him again?

Him not fancying it on astro is a huge negative right away but if he made up for it with goals galore during the home game then who knows?!?

1 minute ago, sarti pooh said:

If it is Isaac would anyone take a punt on him again?

Him not fancying it on astro is a huge negative right away but if he made up for it with goals galore during the home game then who knows?!?

I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. His last loan spell was an absolute disaster and he turned in one the single worst, lazy and uninterested displays I’ve ever witnessed in a Sons shirt. The last thing we need is someone who is injury prone and hugely inconsistent, especially if we are only going into this season with 2 strikers. Duffy managed to squeeze a wee bit of good out of him at times during his first spell but I don’t think it was an easy job.