Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

First season in quite a while where there’s no exciting fixtures. I know some folk are weirdly into us playing diddies, but I much preferred the days when we were playing at Easter Road, Tynecastle and Tannadice.

Didddies careful, your in this league for a reason ?

57 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd let under 14s in for free. I'd also argue that the £20 Young Sons deal is more about the cost of the associated benefits than access to the game. I'd also like the club to offer something to folk moving in to the housing that is being built. A year's season ticket for free. Falling short of that then at least half a dozen games a season of free entry. 

We have more pensioners than kids coming along to Dumbarton games. That has to change. If it doesnt then the sad fact is that as older fans stop attending and newer fans don't start coming then we're screwed. 

Even if your u-16 only is going to attend half a dozen games a season, get them a season ticket and save a few quid. You have been on before bashing the club about finances and now your wanting us to give things away for free left right and centre. 

The young sons season ticket is a great deal and will only encourage more along, giving us more in the long term as they grow older. There is a discount for oldies and youngsters on the door. Regardless of whether or not you think its enough its still a discount and it goes beck to the above, we need money from somewhere, do you think another 1 or 2 quid off these are going to attract the necessary number of extra fans to offset it? I would assume not! 

The club have been slated by us all lately, including me, and rightly so, but I'm not sure the pricing is something we can really grumble about and the initiatives to get others in the door while offering premium packages for those who wish to fork out a few extra quid should be commended.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Even if your u-16 only is going to attend half a dozen games a season, get them a season ticket and save a few quid. You have been on before bashing the club about finances and now your wanting us to give things away for free left right and centre. 

The young sons season ticket is a great deal and will only encourage more along, giving us more in the long term as they grow older. There is a discount for oldies and youngsters on the door. Regardless of whether or not you think its enough its still a discount and it goes beck to the above, we need money from somewhere, do you think another 1 or 2 quid off these are going to attract the necessary number of extra fans to offset it? I would assume not! 

The club have been slated by us all lately, including me, and rightly so, but I'm not sure the pricing is something we can really grumble about and the initiatives to get others in the door while offering premium packages for those who wish to fork out a few extra quid should be commended.

We're in a dodgy position financially, but empty seats make us no money.

Under 14s for free? We'd be losing a fiver per kid, but we don't get that many of them through the doors right now. If we could get a few more going to games then there's potentially the chance to make a bit back through matchday refreshment sales. There's the chance to generate a bit of local interest and attract a few new, younger fans. Something that, if we can retain them, would be very important for the future. It's essentially an investment of less than £200 a game - I doubt we have more than 40 young fans going to games if you exclude the Young Sons - so it would be a very small cost.

Locals moving in to the new houses? By and large they're not currently going to Sons games. It's a move that costs us absolutely nothing to give them a free season ticket for a year, or even to get them along to games. It creates a bit of local good will with folk moving into the houses. Again it potentially attracts some new fans. If you don't currently go to football games but have a football club literally on your doorstep then if you want your kids to have something to do on a Saturday afternoon it's an absolute no brainer. You potentially target families new to the area. People who might want to have something to do on a Saturday.

£15 for an adult seems absolutely fine. It's £270 over the course of an 18 game league season. It makes the season ticket discount of £70 really good value, but at £15 it feels just about right. But we really need to get more fans through the doors and in particular we need to target people who don't currently go to football games and younger fans/families. We'll always pick up the odd fan who gets fed up with top flight football and fancies something different. Thats why I started following Dumbarton in the 00s. But we need more than the odd fan. We need to see numbers up across the board and to retain at least some of those fans. The best way to do that is to target youngsters, to target people new to the area who may not have existing football connections and to target families who, during a cost of living squeeze, might be looking for an alternative to their increasingly unaffordable  usual saturday plans.

In this case there's a longer term benefit that we need to be looking at because the future when the older fans stop attending will be bleak unless we can get new folk through the gate.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We're in a dodgy position financially, but empty seats make us no money.

Under 14s for free? We'd be losing a fiver per kid, but we don't get that many of them through the doors right now. If we could get a few more going to games then there's potentially the chance to make a bit back through matchday refreshment sales. There's the chance to generate a bit of local interest and attract a few new, younger fans. Something that, if we can retain them, would be very important for the future. It's essentially an investment of less than £200 a game - I doubt we have more than 40 young fans going to games if you exclude the Young Sons - so it would be a very small cost.

Locals moving in to the new houses? By and large they're not currently going to Sons games. It's a move that costs us absolutely nothing to give them a free season ticket for a year, or even to get them along to games. It creates a bit of local good will with folk moving into the houses. Again it potentially attracts some new fans. If you don't currently go to football games but have a football club literally on your doorstep then if you want your kids to have something to do on a Saturday afternoon it's an absolute no brainer. You potentially target families new to the area. People who might want to have something to do on a Saturday.

£15 for an adult seems absolutely fine. It's £270 over the course of an 18 game league season. It makes the season ticket discount of £70 really good value, but at £15 it feels just about right. But we really need to get more fans through the doors and in particular we need to target people who don't currently go to football games and younger fans/families. We'll always pick up the odd fan who gets fed up with top flight football and fancies something different. Thats why I started following Dumbarton in the 00s. But we need more than the odd fan. We need to see numbers up across the board and to retain at least some of those fans. The best way to do that is to target youngsters, to target people new to the area who may not have existing football connections and to target families who, during a cost of living squeeze, might be looking for an alternative to their increasingly unaffordable  usual saturday plans.

In this case there's a longer term benefit that we need to be looking at because the future when the older fans stop attending will be bleak unless we can get new folk through the gate.

I would say that the pricing structure and range of offers at DFC is vastly improved from years gone by when there was an expectation that the public should just turn up, no questions asked.

Part of this was a local attitude thing and part was a general football conceit that the game itself had no need of shite like responding to it's customer and acting accordingly.

However, whilst offers, incentives and improved facilities and communications are all welcome, nothing better has ever been found at our level for putting bums on seats than a team playing decent, watchable and winning football.

I'm probably the biggest critic of this board on here but I think the £20 Young Sons membership is absolutely brilliant, great stuff tagged to it for young fans and entry to every game on top of that is a steal. Putting the walk up price at a fiver is obviously there to try and entice more youngsters to join the Young Sons club, which hopefully increases chances of them sticking around. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'm probably the biggest critic of this board on here but I think the £20 Young Sons membership is absolutely brilliant, great stuff tagged to it for young fans and entry to every game on top of that is a steal. Putting the walk up price at a fiver is obviously there to try and entice more youngsters to join the Young Sons club, which hopefully increases chances of them sticking around. 

100% £20 is nothing for a season and what it gets them is great value. We aren't a charity so dishing stuff out for free isn't for me unless its a few tickets to local schools etc. Anyone attending should be forking out a few quid regardless of how little. If folk are going to bring their kids, the difference between £5 and free probably isn't going to swing it much. As for the oldies, are they going to stop coming because its £10 rather than £8/£7? Probably not, we also aren't likely to attract any additional over 65 fans just because its £8 rather than £10 so it's all about maximising income. 

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It has just occurred to me that we were the last team to play Edinburgh City, as the club has now been 'obliged' to change its name.

Someone picked FC Edinburgh 😨😨😨

Did they not beat Annan in the final after they pumped us?

21 minutes ago, microdave said:

I noticed that there are no games scheduled for 26/11 and 10/12. I presume that one will be a Scottish cup date. Anyone know why we'll have a free Saturday?

Too many of our players are away at the world Cup.......

53 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It has just occurred to me that we were the last team to play Edinburgh City, as the club has now been 'obliged' to change its name.

Someone picked FC Edinburgh 😨😨😨

Stinking name. Total nothing club mind you so almost no-one will notice / care.

I'm maybe a little late to the season ticket chat, but it seems great value when compared to the walk up price.  I think there us also an option to pay the ST up over the year which is quite considerate nowadays.

10 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Just looking through the other squads in this division. We've got to have one of the most experienced and better known teams on paper. 

Some premier, and European experience in there

I’d be surprised if anyone has a larger budget than us. Promotion by winning the league has to be the expectations set out by the board.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Stirling and Stenny are easily paying as much as us, if not more.

Hmm, their highest earners might be on as much as ours (like a couple of other sides), but I'd say we have more players that will be on decent salaries than either side. Buchanan, McKee, McGeever, Long, Carswell and Wallace will on be on decent wedge. Big pressure on Stevie boy.