Sons' sorrow

31 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

God knows why we have a sport scientist. I mean fair play if we're going to be the fittest side in the league and chase the arse of everyone but going on last seasons efforts I find that hard to believe. Happy to be proven wrong. I would also like to think kitmen at our level are volunteers but with Faz and jobs for the boys who knows.

5 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Surely you aren't paying a kitman nevermind two? It's usually always a volunteered position at this level.

Regarding sports scientist pretty much every club in Scotland will have one these days so that's certainly nothing out of the ordinary at this level. You're behind the times if you don't have one I'd say.

The kitman position was certainly a paid role a few years ago and the wage wasn’t the worst. There’s a fair bit of work involved with washing and drying all the kits and training gear, driving to away games and setting things up on match day. I think you also have to be available for the training sessions midweek. I’d be shocked if Farrell was taking a kitman from Stranraer and he was doing it for hee haw and I’m almost certain the guy who was here prior to Farrell will be picking up a wage.

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

We seem to be pushing the season tickets quite hard. It would maybe help if they had bothered to respond to folks’ emails saying they wouldn’t be renewing.

I agree the club should be sending out responses but I’m not sure that would help with season ticket sales when folk are emailing in to specifically tell them they aren’t buying a season ticket. Unless of course folk are happy to have their minds changed by receiving a response from the general manager/receptionist.

I actually think the club deserves a bit of credit for the pricing this year and I’m not too disappointed to see them pushing it. 

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

God knows why we have a sport scientist. I mean fair play if we're going to be the fittest side in the league and chase the arse of everyone but going on last seasons efforts I find that hard to believe. Happy to be proven wrong. 

He's arrived from doing work for Clyde and Darvel so it's not as uncommon as i maybe thought it was initially. 

Not really sure what role a video analyst plays in all of this? As much as I could make some snide comment about it was plainly obvious to anyone with eyes where problems were (but I wouldn't do that obviously). It's a weird one as Farrell put most of our problems down to individual errors. Yet now we bring in someone to look at it all

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

He's arrived from doing work for Clyde and Darvel so it's not as uncommon as i maybe thought it was initially. 

Not really sure what role a video analyst plays in all of this? As much as I could make some snide comment about it was plainly obvious to anyone with eyes where problems were (but I wouldn't do that obviously). It's a weird one as Farrell put most of our problems down to individual errors. Yet now we bring in someone to look at it all

So he knows for definite who he should be pointing the finger at and throwing under the bus maybe?

Our squad numbers have been confirmed. Always like to think that gives you a wee idea of who might be playing where. Especially at this stage in the season where there isn't much else to talk about.

Most interesting to me was Kalvin switching from #9 to #7. Maybe a sign that he sees himself as a winger and not a centre-forward. Which I would agree on. 

Apart from that not too many surprises. Maybe Love at #9, but given Wallace took #32 we didn't really have anyone else who would be playing centrally. I'd say Wylde's number is a sign that he's definitely going to be playing at full-bacn as well. Pleased to see Callum Wilson getting #10 too. The Baillieston Messi.

1. Brett Long

2. Ryan McGeever

3. Gregg Wylde

4. Edin Lynch

5. Gregor Buchanan

6. Stuart Carswell

7. Kalvin Orsi

8. David Wilson

9. Ally Love

10. Callum Wilson

11. Ross MacLean

12. Aron Lynas

14. Joe McKee

22. Ryan Blair

23. Martin McNiff

32. Ryan Wallace

That squad doesn't actually look too bad written down if MacLean and McKee are sticking around.

It was a lot more dogshit in my mind but that squad of players should definitely be competing for a top four place.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

That squad doesn't actually look too bad written down if MacLean and McKee are sticking around.

It was a lot more dogshit in my mind but that squad of players should definitely be competing for a top four place.

That's the thing. Long, McGeever, Carswell, McKee, MacLean, Wallace could be a really decent spine for a League Two side. I'd probably chuck Callum Wilson in there too, who I think is a superb player.

But we're relying on McGeever being fit, Carsy looking like he fancies it, McKee being played, Maclean being on his once in 10 games unplayable form slightly more often and Wallace not being the guy who left East Fife in a huff.

I'm not sure about our full-back positions. And I still think we need more reinforcements going forward and maybe some younger legs in midfield. But, managed correctly, there's no reason why those players aren't capable of finishing in the top four.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That's the thing. Long, McGeever, Carswell, McKee, MacLean, Wallace could be a really decent spine for a League Two side. I'd probably chuck Callum Wilson in there too, who I think is a superb player.

But we're relying on McGeever being fit, Carsy looking like he fancies it, McKee being played, Maclean being on his once in 10 games unplayable form slightly more often and Wallace not being the guy who left East Fife in a huff.

I'm not sure about our full-back positions. And I still think we need more reinforcements going forward and maybe some younger legs in midfield. But, managed correctly, there's no reason why those players aren't capable of finishing in the top four.

It's your final sentence that's doing a lot of heavy lifting sadly.

This is the team I'd probably go with, posting this in full knowledge that it won't be what Faz plays mind you;

Long

Lynas -- McGeever -- Buchanan -- McNiff

D. Wilson -- McKee

MacLean -- Love -- C. Wilson

Wallace

Left back is an issue for me. Wylde is a shitebag and if the plan is to play him there then I would suggest the problem of full back has not been addressed. Ideally we get another left back in and let McNiff and Buchanan fight it out for the pairing with McGeever. Until that time I'd go with McNiff at full back. 

Midfield is also a bit of an issue given we already had (in my opinion) a League 1 pairing there in Carswell and McKee, but sadly the former hasn't been at his best for a while and the latter does not seem favoured under Faz. There is no doubt that McKee is probably one of the best passers in this league with his dead ball skills being second to none, but given we had Paul Paton and Paddy Boyle inexplicably hitting our set pieces for much of last season I am not at all convinced McKee will be put to better use this time round. From what I remember of Davie Wilson he wasn't shy in putting a tackle in and liked to pass the ball, for once I'd like to see our midfield play football than watch the ball sail over their heads and win fail to win second balls. 

Further forward, I doubt you'll find a Sons fan that doesn't think Callum Wilson should be involved every week - he could interchange with Love and MacLean in my above formation and IMO it would give teams problems picking men up. MacLean should do well this season if he stops being a fanny and getting himself sent off (and Faz stops using him as a striker). Wallace is our only proper striker so lets hope he doesn't get injured or take the nip because Faz's comments in the last week don't fill me with confidence that another striker is incoming, which means Orsi or Ally Love leading the line in the absence of Wallace.

I don't feel we have great depth though. Lynch isn't a full back but we appear to be using him as cover at right back. Centre half is reasonably well covered but left back is our clear weak area. Central midfield we have most of our options but whether any of them make a good partnership remains to be seen. Outside of the forwards listed above we only have Orsi who can cover those positions - that ultimately is why we won't challenge for the league, and I think everyone at the club knows that despite the puffed out chest of our manager in interviews.

Looking at the other squads in this division it's a mish mash of jobbers and various imposters that have contributed to our drop through the leagues over the last 5 years, with a smattering of quality thrown in across a couple of teams, so I can't say I'm that terrified of our chances. Ultimately it requires Faz to get a tune out of the team for more than a quarter of the season and that is where I think all Sons fans have their doubts. 

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

McKee and C.Wilson must start. We’ll probably end up seeing them occasionally get 10 minutes, instead.

Well, if they continue to perform only in flashes then that will be about right.

Like the team itself Callum Wilson came on to a game fairly early on last season - the high point was probably Falkirk away - but he simply never maintained that form, put on a few pounds, and generally drifted across the remaining games.  He is young though with real potential, and I hear he has been set a personal fitness target so I genuinely wish him well with establishing himself in our midfield.

Joe McKee looked out of sorts for most of last term and never seemed to fully shake of COVID, but we need a consistent shift from everyone and if he can't provide that we can't justify a starting place simply based on previous history.  Again though, it would be great to see him return to form on merit.

Stevie Farrell got a lot wrong last season - eg the absence of a striker until it was too late - but I wouldn't criticise him on these two players.

19 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well, if they continue to perform only in flashes then that will be about right.

Like the team itself Callum Wilson came on to a game fairly early on last season - the high point was probably Falkirk away - but he simply never maintained that form, put on a few pounds, and generally drifted across the remaining games.  He is young though with real potential, and I hear he has been set a personal fitness target so I genuinely wish him well with establishing himself in our midfield.

Joe McKee looked out of sorts for most of last term and never seemed to fully shake of COVID, but we need a consistent shift from everyone and if he can't provide that we can't justify a starting place simply based on previous history.  Again though, it would be great to see him return to form on merit.

Stevie Farrell got a lot wrong last season - eg the absence of a striker until it was too late - but I wouldn't criticise him on these two players.

I respectfully disagree. He badly mishandled Wilson, in my opinion. Destroyed his confidence when his form dipped and never really gave him a fair chance to show anything more than glimpses, with the little game time he was afforded. Both are quality players that we should build the team around, IMO. I don't think Farrell managed either of them well at all last season. I hope that changes, but won't hold my breath.

Edited by FifeSons

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I agree with this to be honest. The biggest mismanagement I thought we seen with regards to these 2 was that I really thought we could have sent Wilson out on loan for the last few months. I appreciate he maybe hoped his form would pick up or whatever but he never got much of a chance and when he did come on, done himself no favour giving swag silly fouls and looking like a boy playing alongside men.

I felt a loan spell and playing every week could have done him the world of good.

McKee is overrated, in my opinion, and too much of a luxury unless you have hard workers around him. But I also appreciate he had his own physical battles and things last season. He undoubtedly has a decent delivery but he just needs to show it more often. A victim of his own high standards, to an extent.

35 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's Farrells job to get the best out of our best players. He was well aware of Joe McKee's quality which is why he gave him a 2 year deal, then proceeded to play him in behind the striker before dropping him to the bench when we shifted to a 442. We've all seen where Joe operates at his best and it's not as an attacking midfielder. Wilson won player of the month, had a couple of poor performances and was bombed out the team. Both droppings were knee jerk for me and killed the confidence/motivation of both players. If steps have been made on both sides to improve their relationship then good but ultimately it won't be Wilson or McKee moving on if things don't improve on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It's Farrells job to get the best out of our best players. He was well aware of Joe McKee's quality which is why he gave him a 2 year deal, then proceeded to play him in behind the striker before dropping him to the bench when we shifted to a 442. We've all seen where Joe operates at his best and it's not as an attacking midfielder. Wilson won player of the month, had a couple of poor performances and was bombed out the team. Both droppings were knee jerk for me and killed the confidence/motivation of both players. If steps have been made on both sides to improve their relationship then good but ultimately it won't be Wilson or McKee moving on if things don't improve on the pitch. 

How do you or I know that Joe McKee's deal had anything to do with his quality - it could have been the player's condition for signing on, no ?  Ditto Buchanan, ditto Wylde, etc ,

And I've got to laugh at these fine nuances of positions and tactics; this was the Scottish First Division FFS, not La Liga - a decent midfielder should show something.  How come Pignatelli could give us a shift in about five positions ?

As I said, Farrell made many mistakes but he'll be getting blamed for the weather soon.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

How do you or I know that Joe McKee's deal had anything to do with his quality - it could have been the player's condition for signing on, no ?  Ditto Buchanan, ditto Wylde, etc ,

And I've got to laugh at these fine nuances of positions and tactics; this was the Scottish First Division FFS, not La Liga - a decent midfielder should show something.  How come Pignatelli could give us a shift in about five positions ?

As I said, Farrell made many mistakes but he'll be getting blamed for the weather soon.

Again, if Farrell doesn't want to give someone a 2 year deal he doesn't have to. Joe McKee or any other player can ask for whatever they like, we don't have to give them it.

Come on, OKI, are we really arguing that any midfielder should be able to play anywhere in midfield? Players need used to their strengths, George Stanger is a defender but using him at right back was problematic to the team, when he played in his preferred role he improved. The same applies to Joe McKee - why was Duffy able to get a tune out of him? 

I fully understand that McKee can be a lazy sod and barely looked interested last season, but I reiterate that it's the manager who signed him who needs to get the best of him. If he's asking him to carry out a role he's either uncapable of or unwilling to do then the manager needs to rectify that. Farrells choice was to drop him from the team and use him sparingly - that's fine but we didn't get results and were relegated. He's therefore rightly criticised for being unable to get the best of our best players. 

And I wouldn't blame him for the weather, that's the boards fault ;)