Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Let's wait and see what happens before we start getting carried away.

By all accounts it sounds like he’s heading our way, if he doesn’t shit happens. The best part about pre season is getting excited about potential signings and rumours, we haven’t had a great deal to get excited about so far tbh.

I’d be happy with Wallace joining. We didn’t have a proper striker at all last season and Wallace certainly fits the bill. I just hope to god he isn’t the only one we sign.

12 hours ago, virginton said:

It's really not outdated at all, when someone setting up a dodgy box in a pub can access streams and divert dozens of away fans from traveling to games at all. It would be extremely foolish IMO for lower league Scottish football clubs to continue streaming games. It is a live event for them - you have to be there to witness it (for good or bad) - and if that model fails then the game's a bogey.

That inconveniences some people with accessibility issues but unless the dodgy stream issue is magically resolved, that's why you can't have nice things. 

Thats just not the case in the lower leagues. Nobody at the Norseman is thinking "f**k me, we could stream Morton games and pack the place out". 

For the likes of Rangers and Celtic there will always be demand for tickets. Streaming doesnt impact on their numbers. For other teams it might have some impact - if you've got a family who would all go to a Hearts or Hibs game but finances are tight then all of you watching on TV with some snacks would be cheaper than forking out to attend the game. In the lower leagues the difference between the cost of a stream and the cost of match entry is relatively slim. It comes down to convenience on the day. People aren't staying at home to watch a stream rather than going to games on a regular basis. It's as and when it suits circumstances.

Doesnt mean I particularly enjoy streamed games, but they've served a purpose when I've been unable to make it to a game in person. Suspect thats the same for most fans.

17 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Thats just not the case in the lower leagues. Nobody at the Norseman is thinking "f**k me, we could stream Morton games and pack the place out". 

Nobody at The Norseman has had that thought since 1971, which is why it doesn't even have a ceiling to the bar. 

For other teams it might have some impact - if you've got a family who would all go to a Hearts or Hibs game but finances are tight then all of you watching on TV with some snacks would be cheaper than forking out to attend the game. In the lower leagues the difference between the cost of a stream and the cost of match entry is relatively slim.

Well no, because in your exact scenario the family group would be paying for a single stream only. The difference in terms of revenue (gate reciepts plus matchday tat - programmes, pies etc.) between a family of four attending a game in person, or buying a single stream is enormous to lower league clubs. 

It comes down to convenience on the day. People aren't staying at home to watch a stream rather than going to games on a regular basis. It's as and when it suits circumstances.

Convenience has a major negative effect on away fans because how many are going to travel to Peterhead when there's a reasonable stream for them to watch instead?

It really does not take much for streaming to tank the loosely existing business model of Scottish football clubs, and for those reasons (and others) it has no place outside of the top flight. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Convenience has a major negative effect on away fans because how many are going to travel to Peterhead when there's a reasonable stream for them to watch instead?

On the other hand you have people like myself who would never be attending a game in Peterhead giving them 12 quid for a stream. I don’t make any away games at all these days but I’d say I watched about 75% of our away games last season via stream. I know of a few others who are in a similar boat. That’s money they wouldn’t be getting if they didn’t offer a stream.

It has negatives and it has positives but I’m not convinced (certainly at our level) that it would massively impact attendances. Performances on the park dictate that more than any other factor. 

51 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

By all accounts it sounds like he’s heading our way, if he doesn’t shit happens. The best part about pre season is getting excited about potential signings and rumours, we haven’t had a great deal to get excited about so far tbh.

I’d be happy with Wallace joining. We didn’t have a proper striker at all last season and Wallace certainly fits the bill. I just hope to god he isn’t the only one we sign.

Wallace did not play as a striker for us over the last couple of seasons more playing behind the striker as his very low goal tally will show.

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

Away fans in the lower leagues are a small portion of a club's income. We've got a cost of living crisis to contend with. Away fans might not make the journey up to Elgin or down to Stranraer, but they'd possibly buy a webcast of the game.

I'd rather £12 from 50 or 60 fans than £16 from about a dozen of them.

38 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

On the other hand you have people like myself who would never be attending a game in Peterhead giving them 12 quid for a stream. I don’t make any away games at all these days but I’d say I watched about 75% of our away games last season via stream. I know of a few others who are in a similar boat. That’s money they wouldn’t be getting if they didn’t offer a stream.

That's a reasonable counter point, but if you incentivise people to not go to away games then they'll likely move from 'games that are inconvenient' to 'all away games', then to 'some home games as well'. 

Before long, they'll find something completely different to do with their time on a Saturday afternoon, than watch a Pixellot stream of some garbage game, when they can get the Bundesliga at the exact same time or indeed an EPL game at 3pm from the Irish stream. 

Football attendance is a habit rather than an entirely rational use of time and money at any level of the Scottish game, so breaking that habit and detaching fans from the players wearing the jersey is not a sustainable trend. For every fan that it does benefit, I'd wager that more are disengaging with 'the product'. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Away fans in the lower leagues are a small portion of a club's income. We've got a cost of living crisis to contend with. Away fans might not make the journey up to Elgin or down to Stranraer, but they'd possibly buy a webcast of the game.

I'd rather £12 from 50 or 60 fans than £16 from about a dozen of them.

Or they could just watch or do literally anything else on their Saturday afternoon, as they already did before because they didn't go to away games anyway. 

Whereas the reduction of fans who do choose to travel has knock-on effects for running and funding buses (cost of living crisis - right there) and so causes a downward spiral as those who do want to attend find it increasingly impractical to do so.