Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It looks like he’s from down that neck of the woods so if we had wanted to sign him (I’m not convinced we did) it would’ve been a hell of a lot of travelling for him with us training in Glasgow. 

Yeah, I wondered if that might be the case. FWIW, I wasn’t hoping we’d sign him, just could’ve Farrell going for him.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

"A clear failure by Dumbarton FC to house prospective players in the central belt. Farrell out." - FifeSons.

You must have me confused with someone else. Nothing but positive vibes from this forever optimist.

10 hours ago, Whiteside said:

Hello workington supporter here,been looking at your club in light of what seems like a very random preseason game for both clubs, however would think the teams will be of very similar standards and should be a decent work out. For those who dont know Workington lost football league status in 1977 and since have meandered around the English non league scene, now marooned in the NPL north west after missing out on the title on the last day and then losing the play offs,things might be improving with the return of former manager Danny grainger and crowds at the back end of the season going over the 1000 mark. Many Scottish players have played for the reds over the years with lots settling into the area,loose connections an old neighbour of mine Jimmy Scott played for dumbarton in 1951 ,Alex Rollo finished his career at Workington and striker Barry Diamond one of the first players I remember watching in 1980 was born in Dumbarton.  Shame the game is a Tuesday night but hopefully a few will make the long trip

It has been a long time in coming but this is the second leg of the friendly with Workington which I attended at Boghead on 5th August 1969, with the chance for the Sons to avenge that 1-2 defeat.  Aye, we've both had our struggles since then but at least we are both still drawing breath.  IIRC it was Wimbledon who replaced the Reds in the Football League, I can hardly believe that was 45 years ago.

According to the excellent Sons Archive website Alex Rollo played 41 times for us, his debut being the incredible League Cup 1-8 defeat to Brechin at Boghead on the opening day of season 1956/57.  Barry Diamond was something of a teenage prospect when he joined us but he departed before ever playing for what was at that time a good first team squad - did he not also play for Barrow in the North West ?

18 hours ago, Whiteside said:

Hello workington supporter here,been looking at your club in light of what seems like a very random preseason game for both clubs, however would think the teams will be of very similar standards and should be a decent work out. For those who dont know Workington lost football league status in 1977 and since have meandered around the English non league scene, now marooned in the NPL north west after missing out on the title on the last day and then losing the play offs,things might be improving with the return of former manager Danny grainger and crowds at the back end of the season going over the 1000 mark. Many Scottish players have played for the reds over the years with lots settling into the area,loose connections an old neighbour of mine Jimmy Scott played for dumbarton in 1951 ,Alex Rollo finished his career at Workington and striker Barry Diamond one of the first players I remember watching in 1980 was born in Dumbarton.  Shame the game is a Tuesday night but hopefully a few will make the long trip

There's a pretty big range of quality across the Northern Premier. I've a soft spot for South Shields due to having family in the area. What they're doing with the redevelopment of their ground and the way they've grown their fan base is fantastic. They'd do well in the Scottish lower leagues and we'd struggle against them. 

Stalybridge  or Grantham Town? We'd still be strong favourites.

Thats no real difference from non-league football north of the border though. Teams like Pollok or Auchinleck Talbot would run a lot of lower league teams close.

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

There's a pretty big range of quality across the Northern Premier. I've a soft spot for South Shields due to having family in the area. What they're doing with the redevelopment of their ground and the way they've grown their fan base is fantastic. They'd do well in the Scottish lower leagues and we'd struggle against them. 

Stalybridge  or Grantham Town? We'd still be strong favourites.

Thats no real difference from non-league football north of the border though. Teams like Pollok or Auchinleck Talbot would run a lot of lower league teams close.

And Clydebank could beat Clyde or Elgin …..

15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It has been a long time in coming but this is the second leg of the friendly with Workington which I attended at Boghead on 5th August 1969, with the chance for the Sons to avenge that 1-2 defeat.  Aye, we've both had our struggles since then but at least we are both still drawing breath.  IIRC it was Wimbledon who replaced the Reds in the Football League, I can hardly believe that was 45 years ago.

According to the excellent Sons Archive website Alex Rollo played 41 times for us, his debut being the incredible League Cup 1-8 defeat to Brechin at Boghead on the opening day of season 1956/57.  Barry Diamond was something of a teenage prospect when he joined us but he departed before ever playing for what was at that time a good first team squad - did he not also play for Barrow in the North West ?

I've been looking at old pictures of Boghead looked a fantastic old school ground,our ground still looks like its stuck in a time warp.

Barry diamond must have went to Barrow as a young teenager came to the reds for 2 seasons then returned to Barrow and scored a lot of goals that got him into the football league with Rochdale ,then played with a lot of non league clubs around Manchester area, I assume settling in down there. As far as I know the Rollo family stayed down here and one of his sons was actually a board member a few years ago.

Reading up on the history of Dumbarton reminds me of my terrible lack of knowledge of Scotland and football teams that I've known all my life I would struggle to locate geographically. Come retirement a venture into Scotland's football world will be an aim

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Next Friday (June 19) I think. Or that's the date I've got marked in my calendar for the paper anyway!

I had it as the 24th, but no matter.  An official request has been made and accepted for a home game on the Saturday closest to our founding date of 23rd December (1872), so weather permitting we'll have a special Christmas Eve match if there is a fixture card that day.

56 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I had it as the 24th, but no matter.  An official request has been made and accepted for a home game on the Saturday closest to our founding date of 23rd December (1872), so weather permitting we'll have a special Christmas Eve match if there is a fixture card that day.

Games aff mate

3 hours ago, Whiteside said:

I've been looking at old pictures of Boghead looked a fantastic old school ground,our ground still looks like its stuck in a time warp.

Barry diamond must have went to Barrow as a young teenager came to the reds for 2 seasons then returned to Barrow and scored a lot of goals that got him into the football league with Rochdale ,then played with a lot of non league clubs around Manchester area, I assume settling in down there. As far as I know the Rollo family stayed down here and one of his sons was actually a board member a few years ago.

Reading up on the history of Dumbarton reminds me of my terrible lack of knowledge of Scotland and football teams that I've known all my life I would struggle to locate geographically. Come retirement a venture into Scotland's football world will be an aim

Boghead in it's pomp WAS a fantastic four-sided old school football ground with a panoramic vista of the hills above the town.  It was always a bit random in design with a playing surface to rival Derby's Baseball Ground but it was a complete one-off, including a former railway station roof on one terracing.

If you are interested, to celebrate our 150th Anniversary on December 23rd there will be an exhibition running from October to December in the local library here if you find yourself up this way.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I wasnt too sure about our Christmas Eve trip down to Summerset Park a few years ago, but it turned out to be a really enjoyable trip.

Would expect an earlier kick off. Hopefully a reasonably close opponent geographically and a sensible kick off time and we could get a decent turn out. Get a few things organised for before the game. Hospitality special. Mulled wine and mince pies for fans. Every kid attending given a selection box. If we weren't doing a hospitality special then get a few speakers along to the bar before the game and make it a bit of an event.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Farrell’s recent interview regarding a striker isn’t filling me with confidence. In a roundabout way it sounds like he’s struggling a bit in that department and trying to set expectations low. Fully expecting another jobber tbh.

Looking at the squads for other sides, there's definitely quality upfront in this league. Wallace at East Fife, Thomson at Stirling and Hester at Elgin, to name a few.  Bit worrying who we might end up with, by comparison.

7 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Looking at the squads for other sides, there's definitely quality upfront in this league. Wallace at East Fife, Thomson at Stirling and Hester at Elgin, to name a few.  Bit worrying who we might end up with, by comparison.

Notice Bob McHugh had rocked up at EK. A player who, although I always disliked him playing against us, I'd have taken in a heartbeat. Little bit of quality in the final third. Especially in League 2!

Disappointing that we can't really compete with teams like EK, but that's the way it is just now, unfortunately.