Sons' sorrow

35 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

The jubilee may not have been everyone’s cup of tea but fair play to them bringing in extra money.

Even though it’s not football related it get the name out there. People may mention to friends or relatives oh I went to Dumbarton’s ground for that. They may then come along for a game or might look to hire the space. Either way it’s a gateway to potentially more money and as long as it’s not costing the club then it’s a win all round.

I don’t think anyone will be attending Dumbarton v Albion Rovers on a baltic mid December Saturday based on their granny attending some daft jubilee party at the stadium. 

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t think anyone will be attending Dumbarton v Albion Rovers on a baltic mid December Saturday based on their granny attending some daft jubilee party at the stadium. 

They may not but they may go along in august and September to a game when they weather is nicer. We have just had a terrible season on the field yet we have attracted 20+ kids that now come to the home games and many to the away games. They might get into it and stay or the might drift in and out. End of the day it’s extra money to the club. There is no magic solution that will suddenly attract and keep people but every little helps.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

They may not but they may go along in august and September to a game when they weather is nicer. We have just had a terrible season on the field yet we have attracted 20+ kids that now come to the home games and many to the away games. They might get into it and stay or the might drift in and out. End of the day it’s extra money to the club. There is no magic solution that will suddenly attract and keep people but every little helps.

I still remain completely unconvinced we will see even a singular number increase on attendences because of a jubilee party. It may well have generated a little money but that’s about it.

What have those youngsters got to do with a jubilee party anyway? 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I still remain completely unconvinced we will see even a singular number increase on attendences because of a jubilee party. It may well have generated a little money but that’s about it.

If it generated money for the club then whether or not a single extra person goes along to a Sons home game is irrelevant. 

There's a football club business and a non-football facility business at the club. It would be great if we could get more fans through the doors. Football is still our priority and there are things that we could do to increase our engagement with current fans and with potential new fans. That doesnt change that we need money and that if we can bring in money by running events then they're worth doing.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If it generated money for the club then whether or not a single extra person goes along to a Sons home game is irrelevant. 

There's a football club business and a non-football facility business at the club. It would be great if we could get more fans through the doors. Football is still our priority and there are things that we could do to increase our engagement with current fans and with potential new fans. That doesnt change that we need money and that if we can bring in money by running events then they're worth doing.

I wasn’t discussing anything about the money raised or whether the event was worth hosting, I was purely responding to the suggestion that it would lead to increased attendances - which it wont. By all means praise it for raising money but lets not pretend that Moonster’s aunty and her church group will be down to watch any games this season. The two things are entirely seperate, the same with every function unless it’s directly related to the club or football stuff, that’s not a bad thing, it’s just fact.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

One event might not but it’s the long game here, building the reputation of the club in the local community means people are more likely to come to a game if they know we are there. I would hazard a guess that a large part of the local population couldn’t tell you were we play.

youngsters have nothing to do with the jubilee but to you point in that who would turn up a cold winters night to watch a game. Well we have managed to attract this group while playing terrible football so there is hope.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

One event might not but it’s the long game here, building the reputation of the club in the local community means people are more likely to come to a game if they know we are there. I would hazard a guess that a large part of the local population couldn’t tell you were we play.

youngsters have nothing to do with the jubilee but to you point in that who would turn up a cold winters night to watch a game. Well we have managed to attract this group while playing terrible football so there is hope.

I don't think the events will do that.

Building involvement in youth football will do that. Having a proper strategy for advertising and marketing the club. Free tickets to schools and youth groups. Hit major local employers with a hundred free tickets and pick a different employer for every home game. A lot of football-related things that we could do as a means of getting more fans in through the doors.

The ground as a venue for social functions is a completely different market. Potentially really important, but not a lot of overlap with the football crowd.

46 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Any guesses on who the strikers we’re speaking to might be?

Isaac Layne or someone who played for Stranraer 2 years ago before dropping into the juniors or something.

I would even take a punt on someone like PJ Crossan at this time. I don't think he had a great season (suspect injuries possibly played a part) but at least he has a wee bit of something about him if you manage him well... oh wait. Maybe not.

Edited by squeezebox-son

5 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Isaac Layne or someone who played for Stranraer 2 years ago before dropping into the juniors or something.

I would even take a punt on someone like PJ Crossan at this time. I don't think he had a great season (suspect injuries possibly played a part) but at least he has a wee bit of something about him if you manage him well... oh wait. Maybe not.

Naw, just naw.  There's a team called Newell's Old Boys in Argentina and that's quite enough thanks.

Hello workington supporter here,been looking at your club in light of what seems like a very random preseason game for both clubs, however would think the teams will be of very similar standards and should be a decent work out. For those who dont know Workington lost football league status in 1977 and since have meandered around the English non league scene, now marooned in the NPL north west after missing out on the title on the last day and then losing the play offs,things might be improving with the return of former manager Danny grainger and crowds at the back end of the season going over the 1000 mark. Many Scottish players have played for the reds over the years with lots settling into the area,loose connections an old neighbour of mine Jimmy Scott played for dumbarton in 1951 ,Alex Rollo finished his career at Workington and striker Barry Diamond one of the first players I remember watching in 1980 was born in Dumbarton.  Shame the game is a Tuesday night but hopefully a few will make the long trip

16 minutes ago, Whiteside said:

Hello workington supporter here,been looking at your club in light of what seems like a very random preseason game for both clubs, however would think the teams will be of very similar standards and should be a decent work out. For those who dont know Workington lost football league status in 1977 and since have meandered around the English non league scene, now marooned in the NPL north west after missing out on the title on the last day and then losing the play offs,things might be improving with the return of former manager Danny grainger and crowds at the back end of the season going over the 1000 mark. Many Scottish players have played for the reds over the years with lots settling into the area,loose connections an old neighbour of mine Jimmy Scott played for dumbarton in 1951 ,Alex Rollo finished his career at Workington and striker Barry Diamond one of the first players I remember watching in 1980 was born in Dumbarton.  Shame the game is a Tuesday night but hopefully a few will make the long trip

Hello, if the match had been on a saturday it would have been easier for folk to go down, but couple that with us being in turmoil at the moment, with a crap manager, turnout may not be that good sadly.

All the best 👍

22 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

There are no Junior leagues here now.

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Tommy Muir signed for Annan. I thought Farrell would’ve gone in for him, given he signed him at Stranraer. I suppose he maybe did and he knocked us back.

It looks like he’s from down that neck of the woods so if we had wanted to sign him (I’m not convinced we did) it would’ve been a hell of a lot of travelling for him with us training in Glasgow. 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It looks like he’s from down that neck of the woods so if we had wanted to sign him (I’m not convinced we did) it would’ve been a hell of a lot of travelling for him with us training in Glasgow. 

"A clear failure by Dumbarton FC to house prospective players in the central belt. Farrell out." - FifeSons.

8 hours ago, Whiteside said:

It's not that long a trip to be honest. Easier to get to than some of the treks in the Scottish Leagues. 

I'm looking at heading down, I'll see how my work rota is.