Sons' sorrow

35 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Also, does Farrell’s interview mean we’ll be operating with a squad of 17?!

Maybe we’ll be relying on the exciting new youth setup, beyond that.

He said a few weeks ago we need to sign at least 10 players and he's signed 6 so I'd expect more than 2 to come in, and given the number of centre mids we have I would expect at least one of them to move on. We need another keeper, a left back, probably a winger and a striker as minimum. 

I was speaking with one of our players who have decided to seek pastures new as he was informed he couldn't be guaranteed football and that he was down the pecking order for left back  and that infact Greg 'has been stuck out in the Wylde 'was going to be first choice for left back this coming season due to his experience.      Speaking in depth it appeared he was given a raw deal last season and didn't feature much . Good luck to the young lad and wished him all the best .    Farrel hasn't got a clue , he should have gone down to the Renton football festival today for some coaching tips and recruitment .... I'm sure the 7/8 year old kids playing could fit right in to the Dumbarton team.      Will not be renewing my season ticket while that FRAUD is at the helm .   

I see we’ve listed MacLean as a striker on the OS. I don’t like that.

Also, I was speaking to one of the best players in this league today and he said Lynas is absolutely hopeless. He reckoned Blair could be decent, though, in contrast to what others have said, so make of that what you will.

Edited by FifeSons

37 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

I was speaking with one of our players who have decided to seek pastures new as he was informed he couldn't be guaranteed football and that he was down the pecking order for left back  and that infact Greg 'has been stuck out in the Wylde 'was going to be first choice for left back this coming season due to his experience.      Speaking in depth it appeared he was given a raw deal last season and didn't feature much . Good luck to the young lad and wished him all the best .    Farrel hasn't got a clue , he should have gone down to the Renton football festival today for some coaching tips and recruitment .... I'm sure the 7/8 year old kids playing could fit right in to the Dumbarton team.      Will not be renewing my season ticket while that FRAUD is at the helm .   

I assume you’re referring to Sam Muir who wasn’t anywhere near the standard required for League 1. Farrell probably deserves criticism for signing 3 fairly honking left backs but I wouldn’t describe Sam Muir’s situation last season as a “raw deal”.

Where has he ended up out of interest? 

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I assume you’re referring to Sam Muir who wasn’t anywhere near the standard required for League 1. Farrell probably deserves criticism for signing 3 fairly honking left backs but I wouldn’t describe Sam Muir’s situation last season as a “raw deal”.

Where has he ended up out of interest? 

Tbf, was he any worse than Wylde (who was dished out a 2 year deal)?

I’m quite tempted to go up to Workington to tell Faz what I think of him. The owners, the board and him are going to be the end of this club.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Tbf, was he any worse than Wylde (who was dished out a 2 year deal)?

Wylde was give an 18 month deal, despite not being good enough, but it still doesn’t mean Sam Muir was given a raw deal, deserved to start or should’ve been retained. Either way, Wylde played at left back about twice so it’s not like he was keeping Muir out the team.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Wylde was give an 18 month deal, despite not being good enough, but it still doesn’t mean Sam Muir was given a raw deal, deserved to start or should’ve been retained. Either way, Wylde played at left back about twice so it’s not like he was keeping Muir out the team.

I’d have probably kept Muir, tbh, but wasn’t devastated he went. He won’t be the difference while donkey brains is still in charge, anyway.

I see we’ve listed MacLean as a striker on the OS. I don’t like that.
Also, I was speaking to one of the best players in this league today and he said Lynas is absolutely hopeless. He reckoned Blair could be decent, though, in contrast to what others have said, so make of that what you will.
Blair has ability, he was at one of best academies in England (I know it's technically Wales) for 2/3 years & they paid money for him. He seems like one of those guys that would be good in U23 football though. The hussle bussle of league 2 he certainly was not a stand out & when we signed him we expected him to be due to his "pedigree"

I think a lot of things would need to align to see the best of him, i.e system, who he's next to etc but certainly don't see that coming from this dumbo team.

13 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Blair has ability, he was at one of best academies in England (I know it's technically Wales) for 2/3 years & they paid money for him. He seems like one of those guys that would be good in U23 football though. The hussle bussle of league 2 he certainly was not a stand out & when we signed him we expected him to be due to his "pedigree"

I think a lot of things would need to align to see the best of him, i.e system, who he's next to etc but certainly don't see that coming from this dumbo team.

Tbf he won’t be the difference in how we do this season. Im happy to give him a chance. I’d never boo or give abuse to anyone in a Dumbarton strip. The manger is a different ball game, for me, though.

As BBPF said, really weird that we seem to use FB above all other social media. Absolutely nobody uses it anymore. 
Then again, I suppose that is who this board and ownership appeal to.

Facebook is the most widely used social media platform by some distance

Sam Muir wasn't good enough for L1 or L2. I'm sure he's a nice kid, but he's a junior level player.

As for our signings, we're definitely going for a theme of mid 20s with L1/L2 experience and workmanlike rather than marquee. It remains to be seen if that's the right idea, but after last season's failed experiment of blending mid 30s marquee signings with teens, I'm happy to see a change of tactics in recruitment.

We'll absolutely need proper CFs though. If we go another full season again with "forwards" or converted right mids up top instead of natural strikers then we'll find ourselves in a boring, frustrating slog.

22 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Sam Muir wasn't good enough for L1 or L2. I'm sure he's a nice kid, but he's a junior level player.

As for our signings, we're definitely going for a theme of mid 20s with L1/L2 experience and workmanlike rather than marquee. It remains to be seen if that's the right idea, but after last season's failed experiment of blending mid 30s marquee signings with teens, I'm happy to see a change of tactics in recruitment.

We'll absolutely need proper CFs though. If we go another full season again with "forwards" or converted right mids up top instead of natural strikers then we'll find ourselves in a boring, frustrating slog.

I think we need to set the expectations low, and anything positive will be a bonus.  The truth is that we have regressed painfully as a club and as such we are now trading in the low-budget journeyman player market as opposed to what we would all wish to see.

The squad as it stands gives me real cause for concern, and I think it's a big leap of faith to expect anything other than another hard shift this season.  The club is currently existing, no more than that, and as someone has already observed that will not change until there is a complete reboot at all levels.  That task has already been recognised.

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Facebook is the most widely used social media platform by some distance

We have more than double the amount of followers on Twitter than we do on Facebook. Twitter has always been the better platform for football content and the club always used it well up until recently. Just one of many frustrations currently.

Catching up and I notice Ryan Blair has noted one of his reasons for joining as "I like playing in grass surfaces..." I think we'll need to improve the maintenance of the playing surface for it to be classed as a grass surface rather than mud and sand we had for most of last season.

Aye, it's about demographic with this stuff. Facebook has been largely abandoned by younger folk for twitter, instagram, tiktok and youtube. Folk still have profiles to stay in touch with family/friends but won't go there for their news or content. The thing for me is it's not difficult to co-ordinate across all of our platforms - there are literally apps and programmes that let you send stuff out across all platforms at the same time. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think we need to set the expectations low, and anything positive will be a bonus.  The truth is that we have regressed painfully as a club and as such we are now trading in the low-budget journeyman player market as opposed to what we would all wish to see.

The squad as it stands gives me real cause for concern, and I think it's a big leap of faith to expect anything other than another hard shift this season.  The club is currently existing, no more than that, and as someone has already observed that will not change until there is a complete reboot at all levels.  That task has already been recognised.

The owners don't have the best interests of the club at heart and the club chairman is living in a fantasy world. Until both of those things change then we're always going to have one eye on the trapdoor. The ownership situation is a massive problem for us, but there's a lot that our local club board could still be doing far better than they are. 

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Agreed.

The club is having it's turn on the turbulence rota. A look at the neighbours shows how well a club can be run, they're making strides on and off the pitch and their youth to first team pathway is excellent. But they had to go through years of misery to get where they are now and build back better to borrow a phrase from the English prime minister. A tale of two clubs.

Football is cyclical as someone said on here the other day.

The jubilee may not have been everyone’s cup of tea but fair play to them bringing in extra money.

Even though it’s not football related it get the name out there. People may mention to friends or relatives oh I went to Dumbarton’s ground for that. They may then come along for a game or might look to hire the space. Either way it’s a gateway to potentially more money and as long as it’s not costing the club then it’s a win all round.