Sons' sorrow

On 30/05/2022 at 13:48, Jan Vojáček said:

If you're wanting to reminisce about better times then I had a big chat with none other than Alan Adamson last week. It's a two page feature in tomorrow's Lennox and, if I do say so myself, it's a really interesting insight into the glory days of Bryan Prunty, Scott Agnew and Jim Lister. I think he quite enjoyed speaking about his time at DFC, and I certainly enjoyed telling him how much I enjoyed watching us win those playoffs.

It'll be up online later in the week too for those of you who are far away and have the patience to use the Record's website...

Right. You've all had time to buy a paper copy, so the Adamson feature is now online. Enjoy!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/alan-adamson-reflects-dumbarton-success-27138200

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Right. You've all had time to buy a paper copy, so the Adamson feature is now online. Enjoy!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/alan-adamson-reflects-dumbarton-success-27138200

Very nice work! It certainly brought back a lovely warm nostalgia of that league 1 campaign. 

Interesting to read about the board trying to stop the Lister signing. I'll admit at the time I thought it sounded like a terrible move but was more than happy to be proved wrong.

18 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I'm going to put my head above the parapet and say recruitment has been decent so far, and paired with the existing squad members I'm cautiously optimistic. L2 is a tight league of similar quality sides, so I don't think anyone will be a runaway leader. Success, failure or mediocrity will be hard fought and decided by consistency, and that's where Farrell will really be challenged.

I’m not so sure, I have some concerns if I’m being honest…

We have retained a good whack of a spine of a team who were absolutely horrendous last season. Long looks like a good signing but I don’t want Buchanan, Carswell or Lynch anywhere near our team. They don’t look to be going anywhere and I have a horrible feeling that Farrell could be planning on using Lynch as first choice right back with McNiff on the left. I think Love, McNiff and D Wilson would be decent enough squad players at this level if we were complimenting them with a few good signings but the names flying around don’t fit into that category at all and if anything make those 3 look like marquee signings.

You then have the other 2 year deals - McGeever should be fine but he’s been out all season injured, who knows if he will be the same player and/or not end up crocked again. McKee I’d normally be delighted with at this level but Farrell doesn’t have a clue how to use him and barely played him at all. C Wilson is another I think is a great player for this level but again Farrell has no idea how to use him and just completely froze him out after a couple of bad games instead of working out how to get the best out of him. MacLean again is probably too good for League 2 but not as a striker. Farrell seems absolutely convinced he is a striker and I’m concerned he may be leading the line for us, he’s far more effective out wide.

There’s plenty of time for signings to balance things out but at the minute we look slow with a fairly old team that’s peppered with guys I don’t massively rate/desperate to see the back of and there’s been nae mention of a proper striker which we desperately require asap. 

We have retained a good whack of a spine of a team who were absolutely horrendous last season. Long looks like a good signing but I don’t want Buchanan, Carswell or Lynch anywhere near our team. They don’t look to be going anywhere and I have a horrible feeling that Farrell could be planning on using Lynch as first choice right back with McNiff on the left. I think Love, McNiff and D Wilson would be decent enough squad players at this level if we were complimenting them with a few good signings but the names flying around don’t fit into that category at all and if anything make those 3 look like marquee signings.
You then have the other 2 year deals - McGeever should be fine but he’s been out all season injured, who knows if he will be the same player and/or not end up crocked again. McKee I’d normally be delighted with at this level but Farrell doesn’t have a clue how to use him and barely played him at all. C Wilson is another I think is a great player for this level but again Farrell has no idea how to use him and just completely froze him out after a couple of bad games instead of working out how to get the best out of him. MacLean again is probably too good for League 2 but not as a striker. Farrell seems absolutely convinced he is a striker and I’m concerned he may be leading the line for us, he’s far more effective out wide.
There’s plenty of time for signings to balance things out but at the minute we look slow with a fairly old team that’s peppered with guys I don’t massively rate/desperate to see the back of and there’s been nae mention of a proper striker which we desperately require asap. 
Agree with this. There is nothing to suggest these guys we have signed are going to do anything to improve us (with the exception of the GK). We should probably be building a team around young Wilson but we won't, we will bench him, play maclean up front and fire balls at him from 50yds away. Carswell is the biggest issue for me, he's been around too long stinking the place out, for me is a major part of the problem and if he is sticking around then I hope Farrell straps him of the captaincy at least.

It’ll just be more of the same next season. We’ll still see a ridiculous number of individual errors and be a shambles defensively. The team he assembles will be no better than last year.

The guy couldn’t even make us competitive in the playoffs against the side that finished 4th in League 2. That was with a side he assembled on a decent enough League 1 budget.

The best I’m hoping for is that we’ll be far enough away from the trapdoor, but we’re certainly more likely to finish last than first.

I don’t know how anyone could be anything other than bricking it about next season.

Edited by FifeSons

6 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I share your concerns, but I've decided to try out optimism as a new thing.

24 minutes ago, optimistic said:

looks like mcniff will be at centre hall, if I’ve heard right, that a left back is incoming 

That’ll be Jordan Armstrong. Barely kicked a ball last season, doesn’t sound like a massively exciting one.

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

That’ll be Jordan Armstrong. Barely kicked a ball last season, doesn’t sound like a massively exciting one.

Just to clarify mate I made that one up. It felt believable and made me feel warm and fuzzy inside but feel it isn't fair to continue with that any longer. I am a new man since that trio of signings last night including Galactico Bryson.

Enjoy yer Ally Loves and Martin McNiffs all the same guys and have a lovely weekend.

looks like mcniff will be at centre hall, if I’ve heard right, that a left back is incoming 

Not sure if I mentioned it above, but he played Centre Back for us for the second half of the season looked steady enough.

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

Just to clarify mate I made that one up. It felt believable and made me feel warm and fuzzy inside but feel it isn't fair to continue with that any longer. I am a new man since that trio of signings last night including Galactico Bryson.

Enjoy yer Ally Loves and Martin McNiffs all the same guys and have a lovely weekend.

I'd maybe just hold off on getting carried away! I remember there were a few (Stenny and Sons fans) thought you guys would be title contenders last pre-season after signing guys like Nat Wedderburn and Ross Forbes. Needless to say, I'm not sure the season went as well as you guys hoped?

That being said, I'd have loved to unveil a signing like Bryson! 😂

Out of interest, how did the former sons get on last season? I see Thompson has already left to join Stirling Albion...

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

I'd maybe just hold off on getting carried away! I remember there were a few (Stenny and Sons fans) thought you guys would be title contenders last pre-season after signing guys like Nat Wedderburn and Ross Forbes. Needless to say, I'm not sure the season went as well as you guys hoped?

That being said, I'd have loved to unveil a signing like Bryson! 😂

Out of interest, how did the former sons get on last season? I see Thompson has already left to join Stirling Albion...

Trust me no one is getting carried away here. Tongue firmly in cheek regarding Galactico Bryson. I've seen all these names before and it doesn't usually end well but let's see how we go. The other two signings in Yates and Sewell are probably more exciting to be honest in terms of their style of play.

Nat won a few player of the year awards and was generally very good. When the games played at his pace he's a joy to watch.

Thommo is clearly a very good player but I'm not sure it just didn't quick click here. Obviously missed a large chunk of the season with injury after taking a shocker of a tackle at Cowdenbeath, which never helped. He could well turn it on still at Stirling as he still has some magic left for sure.

Forbes was so poor. Even set piece deliveries were not good enough which you would take as a given. I would hope we are in the process of trying to move him on but it could prove difficult. He shouldn't get a look in for us next season.

We've signed Ryan Blair, who was with East Fife last season. I can't say I remember much about him, although I think he took a few good corners against us.

He sounds not dissimilar to McKee and Wilson, as a midfielder with good long range passing as his most prominent attribute. So quite how we fit three players like that in the same team is anyone's guess.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5365