Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Funnily enough victim of his own success is a line that plays a big role in that article.

I genuinely think he's one of the best managers we've had in terms of recruitment. His first signing was Pat Walker - and what a masterstroke that proved! He had a superb eye for a player when you look at his signings; Prunts, Aggy, Kevin Nicol, Alan Lithgow, Jamie Ewings, Craig Dargo, Jim Lister, Chris Turner, Andy Graham and Garry of course.

He was also the manager who brought through the likes of Nicky Devlin and Tony Wallace, he played McNiff regularly for the first time and got Jon McShane firing in a way nobody really has since. He also had no fear playing 16-year-old (or was he 17 by that point, I forget?) Ryan Finnie in the playoff final. Who looked like a future Scotland star at the time.

Even one of his biggest flops is now a Premiership regular - Jordan White.

He was probably out of his depth in the Championship. But he left a major legacy at DFC - and he wasn't scared to give young players a chance which, given we were in a relegation battle when he came in, was commendable. 

What's he doing now out of curiosity?

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Walked past QPR’s ground today and there was quite a lot of people queueing up for season tickets. Can’t imagine there’s anything more than tumbleweed down at the rock.

Not this week anyway.

Closed yesterday for the bank holiday (that was postponed til the end of the week), closed tomorrow for staff training and closed Friday for the Jubilee.

We don't make it easy for folk to turn up and give us money do we? Should be open as often as possible, including at least 2 midweek evenings per month, during the summer.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Not this week anyway.

Closed yesterday for the bank holiday (that was postponed til the end of the week), closed tomorrow for staff training and closed Friday for the Jubilee.

We don't make it easy for folk to turn up and give us money do we? Should be open as often as possible, including at least 2 midweek evenings per month, during the summer.

It's just as well I read this, there was a supplier from Lanarkshire due thro tomorrow to deliver 150th merchandise - I'll need to alert him and rearrange a date in November.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's just as well I read this, there was a supplier from Lanarkshire due thro tomorrow to deliver 150th merchandise - I'll need to alert him and rearrange a date in November.

They've changed the previous story. It's now "open, but staff training will be taking place".

Originally it was closed for staff training. Facebook post announcing it as closed on wednesday is still up:

281835916_5270577589669495_6803161636134

4 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Anyone know how ST sales are going?  Has anyone bought one who originally said they wouldn't?

I've not done so yet but will probably concede and just get one eventually. Won't be doing usual shirt sponsorship etc. 

Edited by PWL

No response from the club from my email. They can't be that skint if they're willing to chuck money away. 
The club's financial year ends today according to companies house so we might find out soon.

Didn’t someone say a while ago that the woman who deals with the emails (or at least used to) , the general manager, I think, is really good pals with Farrell and actually had a big say in his appointment? Apologies if I've misremembered that.

Its pretty poor from the club, though, not to even bother with a cursory "sorry to hear that, we hope to see you back soon".  Its not like we have a particularly big fan base.

Edited by FifeSons

7 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Didn’t someone say a while ago that the woman who deals with the emails (or at least used to) , the general manager, I think, is really good pals with Farrell and actually had a big say in his appointment? Apologies if I've misremembered that.

To be fair, I don't think any of us criticised the appointment at the time. And we were all delighted at the pre season signings in stark contrast to the previous last minute Duffy exit trial squad fillers.

And the decent start to the season had me looking forward to mid table mediocrity/sneaking a play off spot. 

Alas.....

1 hour ago, PWL said:

To be fair, I don't think any of us criticised the appointment at the time. And we were all delighted at the pre season signings in stark contrast to the previous last minute Duffy exit trial squad fillers.

And the decent start to the season had me looking forward to mid table mediocrity/sneaking a play off spot. 

Alas.....

Don't disagree with any of that. However I do question how staff at the club currently view his performance. There's nobody really there with football knowledge to question how he's doing and all you've got then is staff members saying he's brilliant because he's a good guy to work with. 

11 hours ago, PWL said:

Alas.....

I criticised the appointment on here. I was happy enough with the signings, though.

I still think he should’ve been able to get a lot more out of them. If he could organise a defence, we might have stayed up.

Edited by FifeSons