Sons' sorrow

The price was never a sticking point for me, the board is. They could've sold these for the return of a glass cheque and I still wouldn't have bought one until there are board room changes. 

Good idea with the young sons though, if I'm being fair. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The price was never a sticking point for me, the board is. They could've sold these for the return of a glass cheque and I still wouldn't have bought one until there are board room changes. 

Good idea with the young sons though, if I'm being fair. 

I get why you are saying that but realistically what sort of board room changes would you expect? You're not going to get anyone willing to buy their way on and anyone with a bit of knowledge is going to be very wary given the ownership situation.

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Here's decision time for a lot of people - the season ticket renewal Social Media posts have just dropped.

1927709979_Screenshot_20220516-100756_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0ff28af090946bf8836f1170d65798e5.jpg

Bit disappointed to see the website referring to us as the fifth oldest club in Scotland

11 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I get why you are saying that but realistically what sort of board room changes would you expect? You're not going to get anyone willing to buy their way on and anyone with a bit of knowledge is going to be very wary given the ownership situation.

The current nodding dogs on the board are not what we need in respect of our owners. John Steele was far from ideal as chairman but one thing he was good at was fighting Brabco's bullshit. It seems none of the current board are worried about where our owners are taking us, indeed they are actually excited at the plans, we need that to change immediately. Again though, just because there may be no blatantly obvious alternative doesn't mean I should just shut up and pay up. 

It was interesting at the dinner on Saturday night to be reminded of the purchase of DFC in the late 1960's by Hutchison Engineering and how the stewardship of the club under the Chairmanship of owner Robert Robertson produced arguably the club's golden period of the last 125 years.

It was a very successful partnership of owner, boardroom and playing staff, and is in stark contrast to the last decade and more in which remote majority shareholders have attempted to mine profit from speculative land development, with the football club becoming the vehicle for it.

The ownership issue is fundamental here, and my main concern is that despite all available evidence the club BoD appears to still have confidence in Cognitive Capital as per the statement of last Sunday.

Just now, The Moonster said:

The current nodding dogs on the board are not what we need in respect of our owners. John Steele was far from ideal as chairman but one thing he was good at was fighting Brabco's bullshit. It seems none of the current board are worried about where our owners are taking us, indeed they are actually excited at the plans, we need that to change immediately. Again though, just because there may be no blatantly obvious alternative doesn't mean I should just shut up and pay up. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of that but i just don't see where an alternative is going to come from.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It was interesting at the dinner on Saturday night to be reminded of the purchase of DFC in the late 1960's by Hutchison Engineering and how the stewardship of the club under the Chairmanship of owner Robert Robertson produced arguably the club's golden period of the last 125 years.

It was a very successful partnership of owner, boardroom and playing staff, and is in stark contrast to the last decade and more in which remote majority shareholders have attempted to mine profit from speculative land development, with the football club becoming the vehicle for it.

The ownership issue is fundamental here, and my main concern is that despite all available evidence the club BoD appears to still have confidence in Cognitive Capital as per the statement of last Sunday.

Robert Robertson was way ahead of his time. Not only did he attempt to buy a place in the top division by buying out another club he also threatened to make Sons the first franchise club by moving them to Cumbernauld

I really want to renew my season ticket but the Board/Owners have to convince me that they have a real commitment to the continued future of Dumbarton FC. The future seems worryingly vague. The invisible men need to emerge from the shadows and convince us face-to face of their best intentions and their real passion for the club, I don't want to withold my pension and make team-building more difficult but the way things are right now I'm just not feeling enough passion from the top of the house. What about the promise to be "submerged in the community"?  Can we assume real plans for a 151st year?...... all very worrying.... Come on guys give us some warm feelings!

It's a shame that Farrell is such a poor tactician, as it seems that his recruitment and ability to attract players to the club and sell his dream to them is really good.

In all honesty I don't hate the guy but he is not the right person to be in charge of a team on match days.

I wouldn't mind having him in a footballing director kind of role at the club and to have someone else managing the players. Although, there's no way we have the spare budget to do something like that.

I’m sincerely hoping Buchanan is one of the 2 year deals who’s leaving, I think he’s a massive problem. He was the one real constant in that awful defence last season, there was actually a game or two when he was either suspended or injured and we looked far more solid with a makeshift CB partnership. 

I’d be happy to see Carswell go as well, I don’t rate him as a player and I don’t rate him as a captain. There’s something about him I find really hard to take to. He’s been stinkin the place out for too long now.

I’m sincerely hoping Buchanan is one of the 2 year deals who’s leaving, I think he’s a massive problem. He was the one real constant in that awful defence last season, there was actually a game or two when he was either suspended or injured and we looked far more solid with a makeshift CB partnership. 
I’d be happy to see Carswell go as well, I don’t rate him as a player and I don’t rate him as a captain. There’s something about him I find really hard to take to. He’s been stinkin the place out for too long now.
Fully agree about Carswell. I reckon he's a big part of the problem, stinking the place out is a good way of putting it. I said it before but he's a piss poor captain and hides when it gets tough!

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Robert Robertson was way ahead of his time. Not only did he attempt to buy a place in the top division by buying out another club he also threatened to make Sons the first franchise club by moving them to Cumbernauld

Like many successful businessmen Robertson didn't always get it right, but by God he made a difference to the club on and off the park.  And as he was never shy of seeking publicity I suspect the two stunts you refer to were just that, publicity stunts, like the 'signing' of Johann Cruyff and the 'Third Force In Scottish Football' wind-up.

51 minutes ago, super-son said:

It's a shame that Farrell is such a poor tactician, as it seems that his recruitment and ability to attract players to the club and sell his dream to them is really good.

In all honesty I don't hate the guy but he is not the right person to be in charge of a team on match days.

I wouldn't mind having him in a footballing director kind of role at the club and to have someone else managing the players. Although, there's no way we have the spare budget to do something like that.

He’s quite similar to Aitken in that regard. Aitken brought some great players in. Dom Thomas right before he was sacked, for instance.

Credit where it's due I think the young sons membership sounds pretty good all round and hopefully can bring through the next generation of sons fans.

Season ticket prices are also reasonable as well I would say although that's not necessarily the biggest issue this off-season 

23 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hopefully he's coming our way although I pessimistically don't really see it. Can't imagine him moving his young family to join Del at Killie or going to Dons rivals Dundee or Dundee United either after 18 years service. Saying that it's massive wage cut, albeit part time, to join his fellow ex-Dons Logan, Fyvie, Mitch, Reynolds at Balmoral.

Quite liked Brett Long at Peterhead and at East Fife before that so think that's a decent signing for the Sons. Certainly a significant upgrade from Sam.

Sonkur looks an absolute unit btw. Never seen him play. 

Brett Long is a decent goalie. Disappointed to see him go.

Good luck to him.