Sons' sorrow

Did we not end up having to fork out anyway after it went to a tribunal?
I think we did and that's why he was on an amateur contract. I could be misremembering though. I'd also like Annan to have some glory some day for the reasons bbpf mentioned.

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our supporters never fail to amaze me, some of them are genuinely the thickest folk I’ve ever come across. If you took the average IQ from folk posting on that Facebook group, experts would have to start a study on what’s in the water in this town to cause the birth of so many pig brained lunatics in the one area.

The lack of footballing knowledge amongst them is fairly frightening.

Not to mention, the one person they actually don’t like is Ian Murray - the guy who undoubtedly did the best for us in my lifetime!!

6 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If that is indeed the case Farrell really needs to stop building expectations and tarting things up to sound better than the are. First of all we had his “joint 2nd” patter and now this. 

“Joint 2nd” was absolutely peak Farrell. I think it’s the most entertainment I’ve had from Dumbarton FC this season.

Him also admitting in the FB interview that everyone who says he’s not right for the job is correct was also good.

Edited by FifeSons

8 hours ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

7 hours ago, microdave said:
8 hours ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

I think we did and that's why he was on an amateur contract. I could be misremembering though. I'd also like Annan to have some glory some day for the reasons bbpf mentioned.

Annan wanted 15k for him and we were forced to cough up 5k at a tribunal. We signed him on the amateur contract to try and scumbag our way around paying them what they were due.

Other clubs were put off signing him as Annan would be due compensation, the figure at that time was still unknown with Annan thought to have demanded as much as £15k.

The Sons signed him on amateur terms, presumably in an attempt to avoid paying the compensation, but were still forced to cough up a figure believed to be £5k at an SFA tribunal.

That’s from an article I found after he signed for St Mirren.

I'm surprised the walking football team hasn't been described as a pathway to the first team yet. I'm all for youth development but when Celtic are signing players at aged 7 and 8 from Renton Craigandro what is the point? 

Surely the point is that we are reaching out to the wider football community and creating a link that will in future create either first team players or fans! I take on board PL’s comments regarding Club Academy football but that costs money that lost clubs don’t have, hence the relatively small number of clubs operating through CAS. I think the latter is achievable though if the club are building relations with the community. Surely that and other community initiatives should be applauded?

The above doesn’t detract from the shambles on the first team football side, but there’s a sense at the moment that absolutely everything is negative and the club deserve both barrels on everything. 

Anything the club are doing to strengthen community relations should be applauded imo. It’s what we’ve failed to do for past generations and it’ll arguably have a more realistic  benefit longer term than the mythical stadium extravaganza on Renton Road.

14 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Anyone had a reply to their Email from the club ?

One of my colleagues in work said he got an email back, just saying they were sorry that at this time he was unwilling to renew and hopefully they see him back at the rock in the future. 

by all accounts it didn't really address any of the points he made in the email but I suppose a reply is better than silence. 

I have yet to get an email back myself from the one I sent...a few other waiting too 

1 hour ago, microdave said:

That was poor from us.

It was just as poor from Annan tbf. Asking for £15k for a boy they had signed for 2 seasons was ridiculous and basically forced Todd out of football as no club at the level he was at could pay that. The fact the SFA tribunal determined £5k shows they were at it. If they'd brought Todd through their youth system I could understand it but he spent 8 years at Carlisle before joining them. 

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It was just as poor from Annan tbf. Asking for £15k for a boy they had signed for 2 seasons was ridiculous and basically forced Todd out of football as no club at the level he was at could pay that. The fact the SFA tribunal determined £5k shows they were at it. If they'd brought Todd through their youth system I could understand it but he spent 8 years at Carlisle before joining them. 

Lowest of the low, slagging a team who treated us with nothing but dignity and respect. You could learn a thing or two from Annan Athletic FC.

The thing I hate most about the happy-clapping morons in our support is the way they jump on anyone who dares to express a negative opinion about the club. They make out you're not a real fan etc, its really poor stuff.

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Well that's underwhelming.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5332

We're going to just signa bunch of jobbers who Farrell is pals with, aren't we?

I don’t mind that signing tbh. I quite liked him during his first spell, he wasn’t perfect but he had a bit about him. I’ve no idea how he’s done since then mind you but he should add a bit of creativity to the midfield (assuming he’s not morphed into some defensive powerhouse).

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t mind that signing tbh. I quite liked him during his first spell, he wasn’t perfect but he had a bit about him. I’ve no idea how he’s done since then mind you but he should add a bit of creativity to the midfield (assuming he’s not morphed into some defensive powerhouse).

Fair enough. Maybe this is his level. Be interested to see what the Rovers fans think of him.

Yeah, underwhelming at first... but will be far from the worst signing we make. Wasn't great first time around but that was a much higher level and he was young so has had time to develop a bit.

Willing to give him a chance and see where he is at.