Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our supporters never fail to amaze me, some of them are genuinely the thickest folk I’ve ever come across. If you took the average IQ from folk posting on that Facebook group, experts would have to start a study on what’s in the water in this town to cause the birth of so many pig brained lunatics in the one area.

The lack of footballing knowledge amongst them is fairly frightening.

To be fair, I think pretty much every club has either a single club forum or Facebook group which seems to just become an echo-chamber for those who seem to struggle with constructive thinking in the support which in turn empowers them to think that their absurd opinions are in anyway factual.

On a separate note, I've done a bit of reading up over your thread this past season and it is absolutely ridiculous what your owners are doing to your club. I hope you can bounce back eventually but more importantly, can chase these charlatans out of your club. I'm not sure how realistic or feasible it is in the immediate future to do so but no club should be able to be ripped apart by these opportunists. I've always enjoyed my visits to The Rock and hope to be able to return.

Didn’t Elgin turn down a 6 figure sum for Hester at the start of the season? I really don’t have high expectations for our new signings if I’m being honest and I’d be astounded if we sign anyone near the level of Hester.
Doesn't Hester have off field issues still surrounding him also? Could be signing a player you never get to see play. Of course that is the case for any player as they might get a bad injury for example.

Doesn't Hester have off field issues still surrounding him also? Could be signing a player you never get to see play. Of course that is the case for any player as they might get a bad injury for example.
Yup, here's the story:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/courts/2945685/hester-betting-allegations-court/

46 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
19 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
Didn’t Elgin turn down a 6 figure sum for Hester at the start of the season? I really don’t have high expectations for our new signings if I’m being honest and I’d be astounded if we sign anyone near the level of Hester.

Sounds like an ideal farrell signing

32 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

From the Stevie Farrell interview, My understanding is line about the "proven league 1 and league 2 goalscorer hitting double figures for the past 4 years" is a bit misleading.

I assume the lad in question has scored perhaps double figures in all competitions, which include some sort of Countyshire Cup where they've put 4 past Ballachulish Boys Club, rather than scoring double figure league goals. 

I assume the lad in question has scored perhaps double figures in all competitions, which include some sort of Countyshire Cup where they've put 4 past Ballachulish Boys Club, rather than scoring double figure league goals. 
I think double figures in the last 4 years sums it up better than double figures for the last 4 years.... Happy to be proven wrong tho.

Money can't be that tight if we're paying for two youth sides now. 
It's glorified Renton/ DU youth sides playing in the P&D set up. The likelihood of any of the players playing in those sides coming through will be zero to none. At u-18 level if u had any sort of footballing ability that meant potentially u were going to be playing for a league 2 side. u would already be on the books of a club or set up with that opportunity. At the very least you would be playing in the u-20 development league. Not sure why we aren't trying to put a team in there!

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think double figures in the last 4 years sums it up better than double figures for the last 4 years.... Happy to be proven wrong tho.

If that is indeed the case Farrell really needs to stop building expectations and tarting things up to sound better than the are. First of all we had his “joint 2nd” patter and now this. 

3 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:
Money can't be that tight if we're paying for two youth sides now. 

It's glorified Renton/ DU youth sides playing in the P&D set up. The likelihood of any of the players playing in those sides coming through will be zero to none. At u-18 level if u had any sort of footballing ability that meant potentially u were going to be playing for a league 2 side. u would already be on the books of a club or set up with that opportunity. At the very least you would be playing in the u-20 development league. Not sure why we aren't trying to put a team in there!

This was the part I didn't really get, why a u17 and u18 and nothing else. Surely one of those and the u20s would have at least provided a bit more of an age range?

This was the part I didn't really get, why a u17 and u18 and nothing else. Surely one of those and the u20s would have at least provided a bit more of an age range?
It sounds a bit of a farce, it will be Dumbarton FC in name only. Its a way for DU or Renton to attract players for their set ups by using the Dumbarton name and offering the chance to step up (which won't happen) and the club to say "look at us we have a youth set up in the community". I doubt we will be providing anything for them including coaches. If I was an aspiring young footballer in the area I would be going to Clydebank, great set up, great coaches, great pathway. We will have a 2nd rate u-17 & u-18 team playing at tontine or the common. The point in a youth set up is potentially to provide players who can step up, this is not going to happen (unless we continue to plunge the pyramid)
Sorry for being negative about it but being involved and seeing grassroots week in week out I can see what it is.

30 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

It sounds a bit of a farce, it will be Dumbarton FC in name only. Its a way for DU or Renton to attract players for their set ups by using the Dumbarton name and offering the chance to step up (which won't happen) and the club to say "look at us we have a youth set up in the community". I doubt we will be providing anything for them including coaches. If I was an aspiring young footballer in the area I would be going to Clydebank, great set up, great coaches, great pathway. We will have a 2nd rate u-17 & u-18 team playing at tontine or the common. The point in a youth set up is potentially to provide players who can step up, this is not going to happen (unless we continue to plunge the pyramid)
Sorry for being negative about it but being involved and seeing grassroots week in week out I can see what it is.

I don't think there's any need to apologise or feel you're being negative if you have a knowledge how this should work and you're pointing out fair criticisms. 

At first from just seeing the headline I thought it sounded like an interesting idea but as it's just basically a boys club team playing in a local league in Dumbarton tops, then as you say it seems as if all it may achieve is a bit of publicity. My hope is that it develops and grows over time but I won't hold my breath

3 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Edinburgh City promoted.

I was hoping Annan would make it up after how they treated us on trophy day and after the passing of Gordon Lennon. Shame we repaid them by stealing Josh Todd on an amateur contract, thus doing them out of the small fee they were due for him.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I was hoping Annan would make it up after how they treated us on trophy day and after the passing of Gordon Lennon. Shame we repaid them by stealing Josh Todd on an amateur contract, thus doing them out of the small fee they were due for him.

Did we not end up having to fork out anyway after it went to a tribunal?