Sons' sorrow

What I find most obscure about some of the two year deals is Greg Wylde. 

Faz was quick to point out he never knew Greg and hadn’t worked with him at all before, after we were suggesting that on here…..yet someone has sanctioned him getting a two year gig? 

sums us up 

44 minutes ago, microdave said:
3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
How will we know if he’s good? 
I’d far rather he was gone tbh, even if he’s a great coach. I don’t want him near the team and if him staying as coach means he’ll play some games next season then get him tae f**k. 

By seeing players improve over the course of a season. To be clear, I wouldn't have offered him a playing deal of any sort but I've no problem with him being a coach. Of course, I might change my mind on that if he doesn't look like he's making a difference.

If we’re operating with a reduced budget I’d rather we didn’t piss some of that away on hiring untested coaches who were integral to our relegation but each to their own!

I wonder if Farrell still reads this forum. He must have a seriously big ego to carry on when he realises we unanimously want him gone.

As for the board, how can they be willing to put the future of the club at risk for the sake of one individual? Can only hope the season ticket sales put the fear of God into them.

Edited by FifeSons

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If we’re operating with a reduced budget I’d rather we didn’t piss some of that away on hiring untested coaches who were integral to our relegation but each to their own!

That’s a good point. We’re constantly told how skint we are, yet we’re dishing out 2 year deals and hiring unnecessary coaches…

That's a fair point.

I'm beginning to wonder if Farrell is being allowed to completely do his own thing here.  For example I'd hate to think that Pat Boyle has been told that his game time is now limited but here's a coach title to make up for it.  To announce this four days after our last game seems reactive rather than planned.  Is the Football Director involved at all ?

Out of post-season boredom, I trawled back through some of Farrell’s old interviews from when he was at Stranraer. First question after a defeat was met with the “I take full responsibility” line 🤦‍♂️ ETA just watched a bit further and “7 cup finals” also made an appearance, along with “it’s no over, regardless of what some people will say”. He then proceeds to call out individual players for missing chances.

Here’s the interview if anyone wants to waste several minutes of their life Click.

I was also speaking to a L2 player recently who said that Stranraer team were absolutely rotten and he was really surprised Farrell managed to get a move to L1.

Edited by FifeSons

9 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Why did I think big Josh was on loan?

I think he was, but his contract will have ran out with us and his club down south I think, hard to tell cause he’s not been in for future chat yet 

Finally got round to facing P&B again... what a clusterfuck of a season that was!

Not too happy about most of the guys retained to be honest. Lynch, McKee, Wylde, Carswell and Buchanan can all go as far as I am concerned. They won't because they will all be aware that they aren't going to get interest from any other clubs, due to their dreadful performances this season and/or the fact they are just finished.

Wilson has so much potential and if we can develop him a bit he will come on leaps and bounds. My concern is that we stagger his development again and he contributes next to nothing next season.

Orsi is a player who always gave his all and looked up for it. But lacked quality quite often. I also feel he just isn't a striker but offers a bit more on the wing. Hope dropping a league will let him be more effective.

Maclean is a great player especially if he keeps his head down and doesn't get drawn into silly things. I think he may have attracted interest from a few of the other league 1 clubs if he wasn't signed up. Happy and confident he will be good in the league below.

The big issue we have is the management team who are coaching the guys. Things won't change and a losing habit is very difficult to stop unless you make the big decisions at the top end, IMO.

22 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Delighted to see the back of Paton. p***k and shite.

No surprises in the released list. Not sure I've seen enough application from Oyinsan to merit a new deal. Syvertsen would need to prove his fitness first, for me.

Having a number of the squad already retained is a double edged sword. On one hand it's less rebuilding and settling etc. On the other, it's hard to break the losing habit. Plenty of teams have gone down and down again, or at least down and stayed down.

Called it.

When Josh first arrived he gave us a badly needed presence up top and looked like he could be the answer to our striker issue. Unfortunately he got injured and just looked a but uninterested as the season rumbled on. Not the worst but not offering him a deal is the correct decision. 

His hold up play was actually pretty decent but we seemed to insist on shelling balls up towards him which just didn’t suit him at all. In that 2nd game against Edinburgh City I actually felt sorry for him, pretty much every single time one of our defenders got the ball they just aimlessly punted it up the park.

4 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Tam Brindley released by Killie. One of those who looked alright at times under Duffy depending on where Duffy's tombola chose to play him on the field on any given day.

Aye, and Chris Hamilton playing very well in midfield this season on loan at Arbroath, in contrast to his time here where he became frustrated and eventually anonymous before Hearts withdrew him.

It goes to prove the old adage that it's easier to look a decent player in a decent team than a poor one.

I was never convinced by Josh. Wasn't particularly technical. Didnt use his size and strength particularly well. The injury clearly didn't help, but he wasnt great at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, turning his marker and then going for goal or being a big battering ram up front and causing havoc in the opposition box. Given the number of clubs he's had, I also doubted that he would have stayed even if we had offered him a deal.