Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Are you/we moving backwards or other teams progeessimg quicker..

Our first season in L1 we played east fife. Im like right here we go, we stole a 1-1 draw and that was a wake up call for me

Why?! I thought my lot were bigger and better than eaat fife and i was completely wrong

Sad facts were both L2 clubs compared to likes of Montrose. Airdrie. Qots and much bigger club budgets like peterhead. Kelty and QP. .

Last night result looked inexucable but maybe winning a few games in L2 better than pissing into rhe wind in L1..

Good luck Saturday. Couple of early goals and you never know

I think there's a fair bit of truth in this. Football is cyclical and not that long ago we were riding high in the Championship whilst Arbroath and Montrose were slogging it out at the wrong end of League Two. Chuck in the arrival of Cove and Kelty, plus big-spending Queen's Park and you've got an order that's shaken up a fair bit. Looking around I'd say ourselves, Clyde, Peterhead and East Fife are probably fairly interchangeable with the likes of Forfar, Stirling Albion and so on. We've similar supports and are probably in a similar market for players (hence the number who float between our respective sides).

With the right managerial appointment (a la Montrose and Arbroath) that can change of course. 

On the point about our managers, I think you can always judge how a manager is remembered by where he leaves the club.

Jim Chapman's tenure ended disastrously. But I'll always look back on it fairly fondly because, ultimately, he took over with us ninth in the Third Division and left us in the Second Division. Likewise Alan Adamson, who took over with us bottom (iirc) of the Second Division, and left us bottom of the First. Ian Murray took us from bottom to seventh in his final season. And is comfortably the best manager I've seen at the Rock. He brought a real professionalism to the place.

Stevie Aitken had a decent first season. A disastrous first-half to his second season, followed by a brilliant second-half. Then a poor 2017-18, and an absolute nightmare in 2018-19. He left with us 9th in the Second Division (where we were the bookies' title favourites) - having taken over us seventh in the Championship.

Duffy came in with us 9th. And left with us 9th. After a two full seasons he didn't really bring about any progress and leaving when he did was the right time. Faz is now staring at taking us down. Arguably there hasn't been a real buzz about the club at all since the back end of 2016-17. And that's not a nice situation to be in. If we do go down (and Faz leaves) then it's absolutely vital the board make the right choice for a replacement. To just have a team capable of challenging for a our first top half finish in any division in almost a decade would do wonders for the support imo.

Our first season in L1 we played east fife. Im like right here we go, we stole a 1-1 draw and that was a wake up call for me
Why?! I thought my lot were bigger and better than eaat fife and i was completely wrong
Sad facts were both L2 clubs compared to likes of Montrose. Airdrie. Qots and much bigger club budgets like peterhead. Kelty and QP. .
Last night result looked inexucable but maybe winning a few games in L2 better than pissing into rhe wind in L1..
There were some in our support who thought being relegated from the championship would result in more wins. And we've been kicking about the bottom of L1 since then. And there's nothing to suggest the same won't be happening next year except it'll be L2.

9 hours ago, microdave said:
10 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

There were some in our support who thought being relegated from the championship would result in more wins. And we've been kicking about the bottom of L1 since then. And there's nothing to suggest the same won't be happening next year except it'll be L2.

I think everyone's missing a vital point here.  In the Murray and Aitken years we had bampot club owners but Boards of Directors with people like the late Gilbert Lawrie, Alan Jardine and Alan Findlay who had the business experience, strength of character and vitally contacts in the game required to run a part-time football club.  Even the firework that was Les Hope had spent time previously at Firhill.

Fast forward and we now have bampot owners with a capital 'B' and a four person rump of a Board, only one of whom has significant football experience.  That alone adversely distinguishes us from just about every other lower division club in Scotland and explains a great deal of the shit we are currently in.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

When he left us he made some really snidey comments about the club. 

What was it he said again - I remember him saying stuff but can't find anything on it.  Reason I ask is he tweeted me last night saying he never badmouthed the club but I couldn't send him anything to prove he is a wee diddy liar.

Was he not saying stuff on the radio too?

Murray went about his move to St Mirren in a really disrespectful way. Told the club repeatedly that he wasnt interested, hadn't applied and that his agent was just getting an idea of whether or not he could go for that level of job in the future. St Mirren then contacted us asking for permission to talk to our manager.

With Aitken it wasnt so much comments about the club as comments about one particular director. Never mentioned him by name, but Aitken's comments involved fan influence and complaining that it was fans who got him sacked.

17 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

What was it he said again - I remember him saying stuff but can't find anything on it.  Reason I ask is he tweeted me last night saying he never badmouthed the club but I couldn't send him anything to prove he is a wee diddy liar.

Was he not saying stuff on the radio too?

It was all on the radio. I think he specifically called out the trust for having too much influence in the boardroom. Which is ironic because the trust member on the board at the time was the one in favour of keeping Aitken on. I’m sure it’ll have been talked about in Sons Sorrow at the time.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

It was all on the radio. I think he specifically called out the trust for having too much influence in the boardroom. Which is ironic because the trust member on the board at the time was the one in favour of keeping Aitken on. I’m sure it’ll have been talked about in Sons Sorrow at the time.

I never heard it, but I believe he went in pretty hard on Off The Ball to the extent that a Sons fan who posts here phoned the BBC to complain and was later given airtime to put another side to the story.

44 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I never heard it, but I believe he went in pretty hard on Off The Ball to the extent that a Sons fan who posts here phoned the BBC to complain and was later given airtime to put another side to the story.

This rings a bell with me.  If anyone can find the old podcast link if it is still available let me know so I can go back to him.

2 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

This rings a bell with me.  If anyone can find the old podcast link if it is still available let me know so I can go back to him.

Nae luck.

1475967237_Screenshot_20220505-154636_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5fa1cd7108da234abeb4048f1cecfbef.jpg

Bet if you instagrammed Cowan, told him you like Engelbert Humperdink, and asked him to send you a copy, he'd do it.

4 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Amazing reply.

Thick as mince.

A lesser spotted Dunfermline fan…brave of you just testing out the league one form before next season? 

forgot, you lot actually know it quite well

23 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No, the last two seasons have been descent.  Freefall is going through a division without touching the sides.

We've done that before. Two seasons in a row, except we were saved from the final plummet by there being no relegation from the bottom tier then.

(Freefall isn't a good description of our plight anyway. Technically freefall is when you feel you're weightless. We are far from feeling weightless. More like being "dragged down by the stone".)

We get pumped 4-1 in the most important game of the season last night and ‘Big Eric’ is posting a Union Flag on Twitter tonight.

Total clown. Please get this guy out our club along with the rest of the staff ASAP.

Gregg Wylde also at it. Incredible.

Edited by FifeSons

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

We get pumped 4-1 in the most important game of the season last night and ‘Big Eric’ is posting a Union Flag on Twitter tonight.

Total clown. Please get this guy out our club along with the rest of the staff ASAP.

Gregg Wylde also at it. Incredible.

You can’t really give them grief for posting something like that after the club they clearly support reaches a European cup final. 

however 

the rest of the absolute guff and shite he posts on there is reason enough