Sons' sorrow

29 minutes ago, Greenmachine said:

Alloa were  just a bunch of cloggers.

In the game in which Celtic committed more fouls than Alloa? Just count yourself lucky you weren't playing Clydebank. 

Edited by Waspie

On 17/04/2022 at 20:04, Jan Vojáček said:

Here's a nice wee stats anomaly courtesy of the Sonsarchive and @microdave

Every single outfield player who featured for us yesterday has scored at least once this season. 14 players in total.

Last season (albeit in 22 games) we scored just 14 goals. And in previous seasons we've had regulars without goals to their name (Rico, Kyle Hutton, Cammy Ballantyne and, going further back, James Creaney, Paul Nugent, Michael Dickie and so on). So I'm guessing, although can't say for certain, that that's possibly quite a rare thing to happen?

That's an interesting stat. Of our 14 outfield on Saturday, four have not scored: two are loaners, two are squadies. The rest including Cal Gal are quite good!

On 18/04/2022 at 09:47, BallochSonsFan said:

The manager's job should be under consideration as soon as the play-offs are over. Regardless of whether or not we stay up. Get the play-offs out the way and if we're recruiting then we know what league we'll be playing in. That will dictate the candidates we'd be likely to attract.

Manager is only one part of our current problems though. I'm more concerned by our lack of leadership at board level and our fantasist owners. There's a massive disconnect between the supporters, the club board and the ownership. If we don't address that then I can see us losing more fans regardless of what league we're playing in next season because fans don't like being taken for mugs. They don't like  the lack of engagement, the constant negativity about our future and the woeful fare we've been served this season.

Could our fans pick the chairman out in a line-up? What are his views on this season? On the football? On the More Rooms/4 Architects sponsorship fiasco? On the continued uncertainty over our owners and their plans for the club? There's a far bigger problem at Dumbarton than whether or not Farrell is relegating us this season. Relegation would be bad. Staying up is no endorsement of Farrell as our manager. Either way, next season's league probably isnt even in our top 3 problems right now.

It matters. Going down would further reduce income by quite a bit…..a dent in season ticket sales, reduced pay at the gate, lost hospitality and sponsorship revenue. 

You can’t of course downplay the dire effect of the ownership situation, but given our board’s only strategy appears to be muddling through on a break even basis, the drop into league 2 is another big step towards flicking off the light switches. 

6 hours ago, Robertsons said:

It matters. Going down would further reduce income by quite a bit…..a dent in season ticket sales, reduced pay at the gate, lost hospitality and sponsorship revenue. 

You can’t of course downplay the dire effect of the ownership situation, but given our board’s only strategy appears to be muddling through on a break even basis, the drop into league 2 is another big step towards flicking off the light switches. 

We'd cut our cloth accordingly. The football would be worse than it currently is. Crowds would be down. But we'd cut our cloth accordingly. Relegation wouldn't necessarily be fatal to us. It would be exceptionally difficult, but it's something that we can manage as a club.

The prospect of Andy Hosie and Henning Kristofferson defaulting on their financial obligations to Pendragon absolutely could be fatal and would be nothing short of an existential crisis.

7 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We'd cut our cloth accordingly. The football would be worse than it currently is. Crowds would be down. But we'd cut our cloth accordingly. Relegation wouldn't necessarily be fatal to us. It would be exceptionally difficult, but it's something that we can manage as a club.

The prospect of Andy Hosie and Henning Kristofferson defaulting on their financial obligations to Pendragon absolutely could be fatal and would be nothing short of an existential crisis.

I’m not so sure about the virtues of cutting our cloth given the recent need to 25k crowd fund to prevent going under. Yes if we’ve been mortgaged to the hilt and the owners were to default that’s a crisis and probably curtains.  
Ultimately everything does go back to the ownership situation but I’m not relaxed about cutting our cloth in the division below or the inability of the board to demonstrate a shred of leadership in a what’s been a pitiful past two seasons. 

I’m not so sure about the virtues of cutting our cloth given the recent need to 25k crowd fund to prevent going under. Yes if we’ve been mortgaged to the hilt and the owners were to default that’s a crisis and probably curtains.  
Ultimately everything does go back to the ownership situation but I’m not relaxed about cutting our cloth in the division below or the inability of the board to demonstrate a shred of leadership in a what’s been a pitiful past two seasons. 
The crowdfunder was two years ago when we had absolutely no income due to the league stopping in mid March. BSF is correct when he says we'll cut our cloth. We've survived numerous relegations over the years by doing just that. Which is probably why we've only gone straight back up once in eight attempts.

Do we know what the Pendragon repayments are like? Is it a monthly repayment or are they waiting for some sort of land deal going through before they get their money (plus interest) back?

23 minutes ago, microdave said:

The crowdfunder was two years ago when we had absolutely no income due to the league stopping in mid March. BSF is correct when he says we'll cut our cloth. We've survived numerous relegations over the years by doing just that. Which is probably why we've only gone straight back up once in eight attempts.

Do we know what the Pendragon repayments are like? Is it a monthly repayment or are they waiting for some sort of land deal going through before they get their money (plus interest) back?

I’ve no doubt we will cut our cloth. Would say though that league 2 is a different environment to what it once was…, as a couple of well kent clubs have found to their cost in recent seasons.  

I’ve no doubt we will cut our cloth. Would say though that league 2 is a different environment to what it once was…, as a couple of well kent clubs have found to their cost in recent seasons.  
No doubt about it. The pathway to the Lowland league gives me the shivers. Nobody really knows what our team could look like next season if we end up going down and how we'd perform. Imo, it's too early to be predicting the end of spfl football for us just yet.

39 minutes ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Robertsons said:

No doubt about it. The pathway to the Lowland league gives me the shivers. Nobody really knows what our team could look like next season if we end up going down and how we'd perform. Imo, it's too early to be predicting the end of spfl football for us just yet.

We’re all as well getting on board now with the reality that we’ll probably end up in the Lowland league at some point, and possibly lower still. 

We’re all as well getting on board now with the reality that we’ll probably end up in the Lowland league at some point, and possibly lower still. 
I did see that they're asking guest clubs to apply to play there next season. Maybe we should stick in an application and just bypass L2.

2 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Very sad news this, and especially for those of us who recall 'Johann' as a stylish and talented midfield player in a very decent Sons team of the late 1970's.  I well remember his second-half penalty equaliser at Firhill in March 1978, only for Thistle to deny us a second Scottish Cup semi-final in two years.  That decade saw some very good ex Old Firm players arrive at Boghead - eg Charlie Gallagher, Davie Wilson, Willie Wallace, Donald Watt, Pat McCluskey and Graham Fyfe.

28 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

It’s probably been posted to death but when I see Kieran McGuire tweeting stuff I get a bit concerned 

https://twitter.com/kieranmaguire/status/1517406851201179648?s=21&t=H3ZHrQ9Ze0AJdfrUmuVPxg

Everyone here is concerned except what is left of the club's Board of Directors because their heads are buried too deep in the sand.

4 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Someone on the FB page alleging a secret buyer is interested in moving us to CROY!!!

Im guessing pure nonsense but given it's DFC anything might be possible.

Anyone know anything?

It'll be somebody thinking about what might happen following Clyde's decision to leave Broadwood.

I doubt if it's something that's happening. Clyde only just made their announcement about vacating Broadwood. Thats not to say that depending on what our owners have planned for Youngs Farm (if they're even trying to keep that going) or the current site (and how that impacts on their own plans) that it would never happen. It's not impossible to see a scenario where we move "temporarily" to Broadwood whilst Kristofferson and Hosie sell the rock and try to find somewhere cheap in the area to put together a new ground.

Not something I'd be worried about immediately, but also not something I'd be writing off as impossible.