Sons' sorrow

6 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

You do realise that Peterhead have already beaten us three times this season ?

Aye, but I was looking at the recent games.  If we'd won our recent head to heads against they 2 we'd have 32 points, peterhead 25 and east fife 20.  Arguably we'd be feeling safe.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

Aye, but I was looking at the recent games.  If we'd won our recent head to heads against they 2 we'd have 32 points, peterhead 25 and east fife 20.  Arguably we'd be feeling safe.

But we didn't, and never looked like winning and we're not feeling safe, so I'm not really getting your point.

15 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

You'd honestly want one of the current shower who got us into this mess to suddenly be put in charge?

It's an odd kind of cognitive dissonance that has you criticising the suggestion of a senior player getting the job on these grounds, while you are arguing for the person at the head of the current shower who assembled it and is more responsible than anyone else for getting you into this mess to remain in charge.

I’ve said before that 32 points ( 2 wins) could be enough for 9th place. That leaves East Fife needing 3 wins and possibly a draw IF we stay ahead on goal difference. Hard to see us getting the 2 wins as things stand, but it’s a slim chance, and warrants the throw of the dice of a senior player in charge to motivate and galvanise the team. 

The board patheticly offering cheap deals for fans to attend the relegation battle isn’t going to keep us up.  Sling me a ton and I might consider attending but even if it was free entry I wouldn’t go. They can ram it. That’s about the extent of their efforts - “Here maybe if we let c***s in for a tenner that will keep us up”. Get these pretenders so far to f**k.

Out of interest does has anyone met Colin Piechniczek? Does anyone know what his role actually is? I thought he was supposed to be the football guy on the board but I’m not sure anyone has even clapped eyes on him since the announcement that he was joining.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's an odd kind of cognitive dissonance that has you criticising the suggestion of a senior player getting the job on these grounds, while you are arguing for the person at the head of the current shower who assembled it and is more responsible than anyone else for getting you into this mess to remain in charge.

It really isn't.

We don't have time to look for someone outside of the club, appoint them and expect them to make a difference. That would mean that the alleged quick fix is promotion from within. I just don't believe that anybody currently at the club is any better an option than Farrell. They're all bad options. We don't need to throw money away by sacking Farrell and promoting somebody who is no better. If it was January then sacking Farrell is worth it. There's enough time to recruit a new manager and for him to work with the squad.

Right now? I don't believe that there would be a queue of miracle workers out there who would want the job and I don’t believe that any of the current squad, or Farrells assistant would improve things. There's a desire from fans for the club to do something. To do anything. Unfortunately we're past the point where we can reasonably expect to recruit a new manager of any kind of ability and nobody at the club looks to be a better option than Farrell. It's not Farrell because he's the guy capable of saving us. Unfortunately it's Farrell because it's too late in the season to recruit better and nobody currently at the club is a better option. It's Farrell until the end of the season by unhappy default.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We don't need to throw money away by sacking Farrell and promoting somebody who is no better.

So I assume from that you will be happy for Farrell to remain in place for next season as well? Because I can’t for the life of work out why it would be hellish more expensive to punt him now than in the summer. 

I’m also fairly astounded that you believe just sticking with the same shite is a better option than trying quite literally anything different. I’m not even sure who we bring in needs to be a “miracle worker” all they have to do is motivate the players and hope that we manage to get a few positive results. We don’t need fancy tactics and formations.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

So I assume from that you will be happy for Farrell to remain in place for next season as well? Because I can’t for the life of work out why it would be hellish more expensive to punt him now than in the summer. 

I’m also fairly astounded that you believe just sticking with the same shite is a better option than trying quite literally anything different. I’m not even sure who we bring in needs to be a “miracle worker” all they have to do is motivate the players and hope that we manage to get a few positive results. We don’t need fancy tactics and formations.

We can adjust budgets in the summer. We can't do that now.

5 figure sum unpaid by the sponsors. Lost revenue from the restricted crowds in dec/Jan. Sacking Farrell and McKeown. Combined could put a £60K hole in our planned budget.

You don't need to pay the guy the money he's due the day you sack him. There's no reason we can't relieve him of his duties now and work out the settlement in the summer. If we're really as skint as some suggest then just keep paying him his weekly wage until we can pay him off when budgets can be adjusted. There might not be evidence that a senior player will be better but we've won about 2 games in 6 months so it can't exactly get worse, we're divebombing to 10th.

If he had any respect for the club he’d fall on his sword.  It’s nothing personal, he’s given it a good go and it hasn’t worked.  

If he stays it’ll get hostile and he’ll follow the path his mentor went down.

Unless he walks, Farrell will be the manager through to the end of the season at least. There's not a sweet hope that this club will be dynamic enough to make arrangements for the final 6 games that involves a different option at the helm. We're relying on blind luck and the shortcomings of others if we are to remain in League 1. We're most likely fucked.

Edited by George Parr

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Unless he walks, Farrell will be the manager through to the end of the season at least. There's not a sweet hope that this club will be dynamic enough to make arrangements for the final 6 games that involves a different option at the helm. We're relying on blind luck and the shortcomings of others if we are to remain in League 1. We're most likely fucked.

We may still take something out of this season.  I reckon we must be getting close to whatever is the record for conceding goals within five minutes in consecutive games.  It's an incredibly hard statistic to achieve but we're currently pissing it.

Let's be honest, he isn't gonna walk. Who would? He has a contract, he's entitled to stick around and make the club honour that. If we want rid its up to the club to get rid. 

I'm not convinced a senior player would be a good idea either, none of the current bunch have done anything to suggest they are leaders in any way shape or form. If that was the case we would see a bit of fight from them in a Saturday, currently we get nothing. Oh, apart from our Captain, our leader, being petulant to refs and getting himself sent off! If that's the leaders we have then no thanks! 

On 21/03/2022 at 19:46, sonsism said:

Barry Ferguson walked a few weeks back and Alloa are already out of the shit they were in and pretty much safe.

Ferguson is on a different level of hopeless to Farrell. We have a number of really decent League 1 players and just by Ferguson not being there we were likely to start picking up points again. Dumbarton might well get a bounce from punting Farrell, but the squad still isn't very good and I'm not sure it's a given you'd quickly climb the league. Might still be enough to keep you up right enough but I'm not sure the Alloa comparison is the best. 

15 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Ferguson is on a different level of hopeless to Farrell. We have a number of really decent League 1 players and just by Ferguson not being there we were likely to start picking up points again. Dumbarton might well get a bounce from punting Farrell, but the squad still isn't very good and I'm not sure it's a given you'd quickly climb the league. Might still be enough to keep you up right enough but I'm not sure the Alloa comparison is the best. 

That's a very fair post in terms of the squad strengths, but I think there may now be direct parallels with the Manager/squad dynamics.  When a Manager starts name-checking players in a negative way it doesn't usually end well.