Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As much as Joe McKee has been massively below par this season if anyone can give me a reason as to why yon Hutchison starts in central midfield before him I’d love to hear it. The lad is honky tonk.

Even if McKee stinks up the park for 90 minutes you’re probably going to get a few decent deadball chances from him.  I’d definitely take an underperforming McKee over most of the midfield.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

Theres not an issue with 31 individual errors as such, it's the mentality and how you react to that mistake.

His response this far has been to burn that player and sign another, now he cant and he's left looking at the bench wondering who's minded to knock their pan in or be a match winner for him and the club, answer is no one.  That lies with his management throughout the season.

That sounds extremely Barry Ferguson-esque. As does the manager saying they'll take full responsibility then singling out a player for criticism a couple of minutes later. When a team makes constant "individual" errors over a long period of time it has to come back to the management.

East Fife really didn't show much against us today to suggest they'll catch you but it only takes one result, same with Peterhead above you though. Doesn't sound positive unless you change managers though.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

That's quite an interview.  The constant references to individual mistakes are one thing, but to claim that those apart there 'was nothing in the game' is both an utter nonsense and is totally disrespectful to every Dumbarton fan who watched that ninety minutes.

Let's be clear here, Falkirk were utterly mediocre but from the third minute onward they were in a winning position and comfortably saw the game out -any other interpretation is IMO delusional.  Dumbarton did not register a single meaningful shot on goal and Robbie Mutch did not make a save worthy of note.    Kieran Wright did not make many either but a combination of a pretty toothless Falkirk team playing on 75% power saw to that.

I wonder what version of the game our Board of Directors watched today.  That could be the real worry.  

Wheels have come off. Managers interview was an unpleasant watch. Stevie Farrell looks broken and has resorted to publicly blaming players.   Players don’t have a voice in this but their nervy, mistake riddled, and uncoordinated display paints a picture that they ain’t on the same page as the manager. We’ve had months now of tinkering with personnel and apparently positive work on the training ground. In reality confidence is shot and it sadly shows each week.

Only our board can end this and it’s high time they acted. At the same time a good look in the mirror wouldn’t go amiss. 

Edited by Robertsons

Bit weird that Farrell's not been given the bullet yet, particularly due to the desperate rhetoric he's been dealing in for about a month now. If your team is making so many errors leading to goals, then the last thing you should be doing is publicly bodying them, risking complete disillusion and putting the fear of god in them when it comes to making further blunders. It did come across as a bit of a strange hire last summer given his average-at-best spell with Stranraer, so I can't say I'm too surprised it's wound up like this. For all Peterhead's struggles, they seem to pull the odd result out the bag. On the other hand, it's hard to see where Dumbarton's next points are coming from, especially when a pretty rancid East Fife kept them at arm's length last week.

19 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Bit weird that Farrell's not been given the bullet yet

Given we have a board room full of yes men and woman who have absolutely zero clue about football and are more interested in strutting around on game day like wannabe VIPs I don’t think you’ll find many surprised Sons fans. These characters don’t have a scooby how to run a football club.

I have it on fairly good authority that football gaffering ability wasn’t massively considered in the recruitment process. The general manager (why the hell she was even involved in it is beyond me) wanted someone she got on with and Farrell ticked all the boxes. 

I’m not even confident he’ll get the bullet when he takes us down.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That concerns me too.

Any other club would surely have gotten rid of him by now, and his comments tonight should have sealed it. We always hear about how we can’t afford to get rid of him, but we all know if the board made the decision, he’d be gone, regardless of that.

29 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Bit weird that Farrell's not been given the bullet yet, particularly due to the desperate rhetoric he's been dealing in for about a month now. If your team is making so many errors leading to goals, then the last thing you should be doing is publicly bodying them, risking complete disillusion and putting the fear of god in them when it comes to making further blunders. It did come across as a bit of a strange hire last summer given his average-at-best spell with Stranraer, so I can't say I'm too surprised it's wound up like this. For all Peterhead's struggles, they seem to pull the odd result out the bag. On the other hand, it's hard to see where Dumbarton's next points are coming from, especially when a pretty rancid East Fife kept them at arm's length last week.

It was an incredibly underwhelming appointment at the time. He hadn’t done anything remotely impressive to deserve it. His Stranraer outfit looked even worse than Duffy’s gang in the playoffs. But strangely, the appointment was met with almost universal optimism on here.

14 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The general manager (why the hell she was even involved in it is beyond me) wanted someone she got on with and Farrell ticked all the boxes. 

Frank 'wherez ra birds' McAvennie on title stripping - Page 2 - The  Champions' Den - Rangers Media

14 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If they'd any sense they'd launch him post-haste and give the gig to one of the senior players until the end of the season, if nobody else fancied it. Relegation is by no means a foregone conclusion with East Fife (on today's evidence) also a gang and a pretty average cluster of L2 clubs vying for the play-offs (albeit Annan are hitting form at the right time). The prospect of any kind of an uptick in morale and the adoption of an approach which doesn't involve shoehorning as many centre-backs into the starting XI as possible is surely worth rolling the dice at this stage.

6 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

It was an incredibly underwhelming appointment at the time. He hadn’t done anything remotely impressive to deserve it. His Stranraer outfit looked even worse than Duffy’s gang in the playoffs. But strangely, the appointment was met with almost universal optimism on here.

Obviously you guys will know better than I, but from the outside looking in I think a lot were (justifiably) won over by his previous connection with the club, the manner in which he spoke and carried himself and also the speed with which he assembled a squad, all of which are a recipe for optimism. It's incredible how far south things have gone after a frighteningly good first quarter, one which had me pre-heating the oven to gas mark egg-on-my-face after asserting that Dumbarton would be juking it out near the bottom despite absolutely demolishing us on the opening day.

Edited by the_bully_wee

What I cannot forgive is the red card count.
The manager needs to get on top of that and has not.
Tbf, we've completed 27 out of 30 league matches with 11 men still on the park. There's plenty other things we can criticise him for, like playing players out of position, not having a balanced squad and just tonight chucking his players under the bus.

32 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Given we have a board room full of yes men and woman who have absolutely zero clue about football and are more interested in strutting around on game day like wannabe VIPs I don’t think you’ll find many surprised Sons fans. These characters don’t have a scooby how to run a football club.

I have it on fairly good authority that football gaffering ability wasn’t massively considered in the recruitment process. The general manager (why the hell she was even involved in it is beyond me) wanted someone she got on with and Farrell ticked all the boxes. 

If he does take us down and the board doesn't act then folk will walk away and season ticket sales will bomb, and I'll be one of them.  Farrell is on a contract for next season but like any business faced with a problem situation surely the board can look to negotiate a termination to get someone else in.