Sons' sorrow

Time for the Manager to go, it’s that simple. 

I think in this case using the ownership and board situations are just excuses for the team.

I don’t believe we had the biggest budget in the league but also don’t think the smallest.

Farrell came in and as far as we all know he got the players he wanted and was backed by giving a few players 2 year contracts. The first 10 games or so we looked great and then from then on guff. The players have to take responsibility but for me it all falls at the manager feet.

Our discipline has been shocking.

Some players are sadly clearly done (Boyle) yet continue to be played.

Ramsey looked like a real player at the start of the season now he looks like a shadow of himself.

Attitude after loosing a goal, real school boy stuff.

our “senior” players are only that by age. Not one is showing it with experience.

our game plan and management seems non existent.

That interview with Farrell is just sad. He looks like a broken man with no Idea what to do. If he doesn’t have the gumption to go now then the board have the step up.

I haven't watched his interview cause it'll just make me more raging but did he actually say you can't coach not conceding or not conceding early goals?

Duff ball was absolutely eye bleeding to watch but there's proof in there that you can drill organisation into a poor side.

6 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

I haven't watched his interview cause it'll just make me more raging but did he actually say you can't coach not conceding or not conceding early goals?

Duff ball was absolutely eye bleeding to watch but there's proof in there that you can drill organisation into a poor side.

Aye, "something you can't coach is losing goals in the first 3 minutes". Goes on to say players don't have the desire to close down shots and prevent goals, nor do they have the desire to get on the end of crosses and score goals at the other end. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, "something you can't coach is losing goals in the first 3 minutes". Goes on to say players don't have the desire to close down shots and prevent goals, nor do they have the desire to get on the end of crosses and score goals at the other end. 

The players right under it.

giphy-12.gif

At one point yesterday Stanger played a ball from the half way line over the head of Stokes and out for a bye kick,  Farrell turns around in frustration and shouts about passing the ball properly.  Stanger is a kid we've signed from the senior leagues because geggan failed and he lost confidence in Lynch.  

You could argue he's misused his budget and then failed to get the best from, or improve the players.  We re at the arse end if the season and I cant think of a player who has got better over the season.

2 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

At one point yesterday Stanger played a ball from the half way line over the head of Stokes and out for a bye kick,  Farrell turns around in frustration and shouts about passing the ball properly.  Stanger is a kid we've signed from the senior leagues because geggan failed and he lost confidence in Lynch.  

You could argue he's misused his budget and then failed to get the best from, or improve the players.  We re at the arse end if the season and I cant think of a player who has got better over the season.

Your right, there has been very little player development. Just “this one doesn’t work there so I’ll either move him to a new untried position, replace him or freeze him out” 

the only player who I have changed my opinion on is ramsbottom. He kept the two clean sheets at home to east fife. And for me he’s better than Wright. 

The players we have should be better than they've been showing. Thats partly down to the manager and partly down to the players.

Farrell deserves a lot of criticism. I think he's handled Callum Wilson poorly and its clear that the player has very little confidence right now. We've struggled with finding a formation and line-up that has consistently worked for us. Paddy Boyle was a terrible signing. As was Andy Geggan. I can understand why Faz wanted them in the dressing room, but they were huge gambles that didnt pay off. I'd have Sam Muir ahead of Boyle every time because I think there's a Daniel Harvie type improvement in him that Farrell has failed to pursue. I think that Joe McKee is another player who has been badly managed this season and is another one who doesnt look like he has the confidence he needs to really contribute. Up front? It's been names from a hat rather than any clear plan. I'm not convinced that Onyison is the option we needed, although his injury has robbed us of the chance to find out for sure.

But Farrell is also right that the players need to take responsibility. If they're not blocking shots then you have to ask why? Why does there appear to be so little fight in them? An early goal shouldn't be a game changer. Going 1 down in the first few minutes of a game isnt acceptable, but it also shouldn't be terminal. 85 minutes is enough time to get back into a match. What we've seen this season is the heads going down when that first goal goes in regardless of when it's scored. We lose the first goal and we simply look a beaten side. Players chucked it a long time ago. They're not playing for Farrell and that's a massive problem. They're not playing for themselves and thats an even bigger problem. Assuming we do go down, is there anybody in our team who would be confident of getting a contract with another League One club? If for no other reason than self interest and looking at the next contract, I'd expect the players to show far more professional and self pride. Our players have been a disgrace this season. Absolutely no bottle and no pride.

Folk wanting Farrell gone now? Its not going to happen. Absolutely no chance. We don't have the money for a pay off and we don't have a board with the football connections to bring in a decent alternative at short notice. He may well go in the summer, but it'll depend on his contract and how much it would cost to sack him. I doubt he'll walk unless a better offer came from somewhere and this season will have done nothing to encourage better offers for his services. The board may well look at his performance with Stranraer last season and feel that he's proven in League 2 as a manager who can get a team to the play-offs. Fans arguing that the board room and ownership malaise is no justification for sticking with Farrell? You underestimate just how much of a mess we're in off the park.  The club board is a shambles and the owners will be content with that. Sinking the club might not be plan A, but it certainly wouldn't upset them if it happened.  Their return would be significantly less than their first choice move to Youngs Farm, but it would give them some kind of return and they'll do absolutely nothing to prevent it from happening.

There are lots of things going on right now. Farrell is a significant problem but he isnt the sole problem and potentially he isnt even the biggest problem. We may well go down and that'll jointly be on Farrell's inept management of the team and his players absolutely gutless performances all season. The introduction of the pyramid structure is also a threat as there's no longer any comfort in being part of tier 4. All of those things considered? I'd still be looking at the reason why Farrell won't be challenged by the board and why the owners won't care about relegation. There's no one thing that fans should be focusing on right now. It's everything. It's the football. It's the management. It's the ownership. You can't separate them.

20 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Stainger is 21. He's not a teenager. I wasnt happy with the signing as he's not a natural right back and has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's capable at this level. But if Farrell is telling his players to play in a particular way and they're not doing it then he absolutely should be bollocking them. If Stainger has been told to play it on the deck, but is deciding to launch long balls forward, then there's a problem. Farrell can only do so much on the training ground and before a game. If players aren't following instructions then they deserve to be bollocked. There are players in this Dumbarton side who look to be phoning in their performances. They look like they downed tools long ago and are neither playing for the manager nor playing for themselves.

Managers ultimately carry the can but that doesnt excuse players simply giving up. Too many Sons players look like they chucked it weeks ago. A big part of the blame sits with those players.

Can I ask why we can't afford to sack Farrell now but probably will be able to in the summer? 

This line gets trotted out every time we have a discussion about moving a manager on but nobody knows what it takes to sack Farrell. I know in the past managers have been due 3 months wages as a pay off. All depends on what's written in the deal. So, if we can't afford to sack him then it's another big tick in the "shambles" box for this board, but if we can't afford to sack him now I fail to see how we can afford it in the summer after relegation is confirmed. 

25 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Stainger is 21. He's not a teenager. I wasnt happy with the signing as he's not a natural right back and has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's capable at this level. But if Farrell is telling his players to play in a particular way and they're not doing it then he absolutely should be bollocking them. If Stainger has been told to play it on the deck, but is deciding to launch long balls forward, then there's a problem. Farrell can only do so much on the training ground and before a game. If players aren't following instructions then they deserve to be bollocked. There are players in this Dumbarton side who look to be phoning in their performances. They look like they downed tools long ago and are neither playing for the manager nor playing for themselves.

Managers ultimately carry the can but that doesnt excuse players simply giving up. Too many Sons players look like they chucked it weeks ago. A big part of the blame sits with those players.

I fully agree with your previous post BSF about the off field problems. On young Stainger though I think its unrealistic to expect an inexperienced player at this level to have an impact in a struggling team. What is noticeable is how quiet most of our experienced players are during a game. Little positive encouragement or helping steer the less experienced through the game. I think most people expected under Farrell that we would at least have a team that worked as a tight unit and battled their way through games. Instead we’ve got a collection of individuals. 

If we wanted to get rid of Farrell we could. The board just have absolutely nae clue what they are doing. They have zero clue about football and are just yes men/women. Get the lot of them to f**k, I’m sick of seeing them swaning around the Rock on matchday with their sense of self importance. 

1 hour ago, SANDYSON said:

Your right, there has been very little player development. Just “this one doesn’t work there so I’ll either move him to a new untried position, replace him or freeze him out” 

the only player who I have changed my opinion on is ramsbottom. He kept the two clean sheets at home to east fife. And for me he’s better than Wright. 

Signing Kieran Wright to replace Ramsbottom is just about the only thing Farrell has got correct.

Lol 

Looking at yesterdays line up

stanger couldn’t get a game at Stirling in lowland. Bronsky couldn’t get a game in league 2. Boyle came from lowland league. All 3 not good enough for league 1. Is it any wonder we struggle and that was our defence 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Can I ask why we can't afford to sack Farrell now but probably will be able to in the summer? 

This line gets trotted out every time we have a discussion about moving a manager on but nobody knows what it takes to sack Farrell. I know in the past managers have been due 3 months wages as a pay off. All depends on what's written in the deal. So, if we can't afford to sack him then it's another big tick in the "shambles" box for this board, but if we can't afford to sack him now I fail to see how we can afford it in the summer after relegation is confirmed. 

We probably won't be able to in the summer either. We'll have further instalments of SPFL money and we'll have season ticket money. The cash to sack him may well be there. Unfortunately it would impact on our budget for next season. Unless we've got a sound termination clause in his contract, we'd need to pay him the rest of his contract.

2 hours ago, Robertsons said:

I fully agree with your previous post BSF about the off field problems. On young Stainger though I think its unrealistic to expect an inexperienced player at this level to have an impact in a struggling team. What is noticeable is how quiet most of our experienced players are during a game. Little positive encouragement or helping steer the less experienced through the game. I think most people expected under Farrell that we would at least have a team that worked as a tight unit and battled their way through games. Instead we’ve got a collection of individuals. 

He's 21. If the manager has told him to pass the ball to a midfielder in front of him but he's deciding to hoof it forward then he shouldn't be on the park. If he can't follow the manager's instructions then he shouldn't be there.

48 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He's 21. If the manager has told him to pass the ball to a midfielder in front of him but he's deciding to hoof it forward then he shouldn't be on the park. If he can't follow the manager's instructions then he shouldn't be there.

And there’s been a lot more wrong with the team all season that has little to do with a few ill chosen passes by someone who has played a handful of games.