Sons' sorrow

Glad to see the sponsorship issue is again in the press. I believe the last time our board were unhappy this had become public knowledge. It will be interesting to see if any progress has been made since the beginning of the year in ensuring this money will be paid and when. The board, in the first press article, said they were disappointed with the situation so I’d fully expect them to have progressed the matter with the company concerned. While I can appreciate confidentiality requirements mean some details can’t be divulged a bit of clarity on the matter isn’t much to ask. The previous chairman said we were on the brink last year so the sponsorship money isn’t a trifling amount and transparency over real concerns is the least we should except 

Anyone fancy a wee targeted social media campaign against Moreroom? 
The c***s haven't paid a penny and I'm sure we can all see they never had any intention of doing it. It's theft. The owners of this company are very visible on the likes of twitter and I'm sure they wouldn't like constant negative PR about their business. Sure they'll probably block folk when things get said but if enough Sons fans keep at it then it might create problems for them. Genuinely can't think of anything else we could effectively do but I'm all ears for other ideas. 
The club board are apparently disappointed there's been no money recieved. Is there anyone there bothering to question it or are they just shrugging their shoulders and saying "ah well"? If they haven't paid, remove their name from the stadium and the shirts immediately. Go public that they can't be trusted. Instead we sit there and do f**k all and guess what? Next summer it'll be the fans asked to help make up the shortfall through various head frying fundraising exercises.

I get your point completely but what could the board really do. They can write to more room, they could instruct solicitors to write and when that is ignored the only option is to sue. That in effect would be the owners suing themselves. There is no way they would allow the directors to raise such an action. They would be removed immediately if they tried it As to what they could do I have no idea

4 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I get your point completely but what could the board really do. They can write to more room, they could instruct solicitors to write and when that is ignored the only option is to sue. That in effect would be the owners suing themselves. There is no way they would allow the directors to raise such an action. They would be removed immediately if they tried it As to what they could do I have no idea

Suing may be futile but we could stop giving them free advertisments and remove their name from the shirts and stadium. We're talking about £30-40K, not a £100 player sponsorship, we can't just accept this surely. 

7 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

In the first instance it important issues are raised and , where relevant, given press coverage. If the owners are unhappy or annoyed so be it. They should not be given a free ride. I appreciate the board may feel unable to influence but I also don’t expect them to turn a blind eye. 

12 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

If you read my post above surely the Board could have carried out a simple check on this outfit before agreeing to any sponsorship deal.  Also, I was told that the existing sponsor was willing to continue but at a reduced rate but the Board bombed that out.  In hindsight it looks like 100% of say £20K turns out to be worth a lot more than 100% of f**k-all. 

33 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

If you read my post above surely the Board could have carried out a simple check on this outfit before agreeing to any sponsorship deal.  Also, I was told that the existing sponsor was willing to continue but at a reduced rate but the Board bombed that out.  In hindsight it looks like 100% of say £20K turns out to be worth a lot more than 100% of f**k-all. 

Given that C&G have been one of our best sponsors in my lifetime, not only in financial support for the club but in community involvement, it seems a bizarre decision not to give them some leeway on the fee. IMO they were the type of local businessmen we've been needing for years. 

50 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

Was this a board decision or was there influence from the owners on who the sponsor should be. 

The problem you'll have is that, if the sponsorship agreement was negotiated and made by people without the club's best interest's at heart, they could quite easily have negotiated a "you'll get £50k from us if Dumbarton win the title and a pig flies over The Rock on flag day" clause with a base rate of zero for some juicy free publicity. Hopefully these cowboys fail miserably and have to sell the club at a loss in six months! 

Yes they could have but my point was that maybe the board were not given any choice by our owners

Just to let everyone know that the Sons Supporters Trust has now written to the Planning Convener of West Dunbartonshire Council to enquire why a safeguarding clause in the previous West Dunbartonshire Local Plan which intimated that there could be no development of the existing football ground at Castle Road, other than on two adjacent parcels of land to the north of the site and for which planning permission has already been granted, until the club was re-housed in a similar facility in the local area, appears to have been omitted in the (latest) Plan 2 version of this document.  We have also asked who took this decision and why, and whether it can be restored.

In our opinion this could potentially be a very concerning situation for Dumbarton Football Club and to reinforce this point the letter references the experience of our Clydebank neighbours some twenty years ago.  We shall of course keep everyone posted on a response. 

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just to let everyone know that the Sons Supporters Trust has now written to the Planning Convener of West Dunbartonshire Council to enquire why a safeguarding clause in the previous West Dunbartonshire Local Plan which intimated that there could be no development of the existing football ground at Castle Road, other than on two adjacent parcels of land to the north of the site and for which planning permission has already been granted, until the club was re-housed in a similar facility in the local area, appears to have been omitted in the (latest) Plan 2 version of this document.  We have also asked who took this decision and why, and whether it can be restored.

In our opinion this could potentially be a very concerning situation for Dumbarton Football Club and to reinforce this point the letter references the experience of our Clydebank neighbours some twenty years ago.  We shall of course keep everyone posted on a response. 

That's a useful update, thanks.

2 hours ago, Robertsons said:

The prematch meeting with under 17s tomorrow….. credit due to everyone involved and the right approach to galvanising young supporters to back their team the right way. 

Refreshing to see a club approaching that part of your fan base in the way it is. 

Around our game with you a couple of weeks back I noticed a few comments about the young team so guessing there has been a couple of incidents with them? Have to say they really added to the atmosphere that day. 

Think the way Dumbarton are approaching it is first class - decent wee event to put on for them and I like the way they have worded involving the likes of the safety officer, especially when you compare with how the likes of Edinburgh City have dealt with it recently. 

They are our owners essentially. The Norwegians are the front of it but this Manchester based company are the architects who will be planning our stadium move (and thus generating a profit for the Norwegians, in their minds). We couldn't find a sponsor in the summer and they agreed to a stadium and shirt sponsor, but as far as a legally binding contract and breaches of that, I don't know. 

The club did have a sponsor, a sponsor that actually paid their dues, but this was knocked back on the promise of having a £50k offer from the Corruption Consortium. It was all puppet mastered by your man, who effectively runs the architects, the room company and cognitive. A bird in the hand……