Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

Can you give us some examples of games in which we were hard done by or unlucky, because I'm struggling to recall many ?

Well, yesterday "looks" like a tough one in the situation. Coming back from 3 down and then the 2nd sending off as we are in the ascendancy. Then scoring again. The 9 men etc. The Airdrie march likewise. Clyde we scored late on and then conceded later.

I didn't once say it is my opinion that we have been unlucky with lots of games this season. The point is that we have had too many almost results which basically means we have come up short. In a post last night I said we simply don't have the quality required and this is the main reason for it,  IMO. Trying hard when you aren't quite good enough may appear to some like we are almost there.

3 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Well, yesterday "looks" like a tough one in the situation. Coming back from 3 down and then the 2nd sending off as we are in the ascendancy. Then scoring again. The 9 men etc. The Airdrie march likewise. Clyde we scored late on and then conceded later.

I didn't once say it is my opinion that we have been unlucky with lots of games this season. The point is that we have had too many almost results which basically means we have come up short. In a post last night I said we simply don't have the quality required and this is the main reason for it,  IMO. Trying hard when you aren't quite good enough may appear to some like we are almost there.

Good reply, and I see where you are coming from but the old one about the league table not lying still applies.  And for every hard luck story there are a scraped win and a draw at Montrose and a fortunate draw versus Cove.

Unfortunately there has never been a point this season when we have looked like a settled team.

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

Good reply, and I see where you are coming from but the old one about the league table not lying still applies.  And for every hard luck story there are a scraped win and a draw at Montrose and a fortunate draw versus Cove.

Unfortunately there has never been a point this season when we have looked like a settled team.

I agree with this and in particular the part in bold. I think it was Jan who mentioned the amount of draws Clyde have. But it isn't just Clyde. Every other team (except East Fife) have picked up more of these wee points and that is 100% why we are sitting where we are in the table.

Between the Clyde game at home where we lost a lead and the Airdrie away game where we drew level and our 'keeper chucked one in we could be 3 points better off, above Peterhead and only a couple of points behind Clyde. Fine margins make big differences.

Just to weigh in on the Faz debate.

Has Faz / our season been bad enough to warrant a sacking? Probably.

Do I trust that the club are able to find a replacement better than Faz? No, absolutely not.

Ian Murray was a gamble and the appointment rode a fine line between genius and pure luck.
Stevie Aitken had been tipped for a move up the leagues, we were just the first club to take the punt.
Jim Duffy’s been around since before colour television and seemed a lazy and/or safe appointment.
Stevie Farrell has connections to the club and, again, seemed a lazy and/or safe appointment (and was allegedly the only candidate for the job).

Regardless of what happens this season and whether Faz sees out his contract or not, we seriously need to do a better job in our next managerial recruitment process. 

1 hour ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

Do I trust that the club are able to find a replacement better than Faz? No, absolutely not.

Ian Murray was a gamble and the appointment rode a fine line between genius and pure luck.
Stevie Aitken had been tipped for a move up the leagues, we were just the first club to take the punt.
Jim Duffy’s been around since before colour television and seemed a lazy and/or safe appointment.
Stevie Farrell has connections to the club and, again, seemed a lazy and/or safe appointment (and was allegedly the only candidate for the job).

Regardless of what happens this season and whether Faz sees out his contract or not, we seriously need to do a better job in our next managerial recruitment process. 

Interesting looking back. 
Murray paid the price IMO for making a big jump from us to a very ambitious St Mirren before he was ready. He brought a professionalism to us with proper pre-match routines and warm ups. It was a rollercoaster ride right enough

With Stevie I felt he was too focused on a bigger prize and it became a distraction. Stalling on signing his contracts and leaving things late on the squad building front. 

Jim Duffy operated with the thinnest squad I’ve seen since the old days of only 2 subs. We hardly had a bench some matches. Style of play gets criticism but we could use that solid defence this season.

I’ve no idea if Stevie Farrell was the only candidate or person sounded out by the board. No reason, however, that we couldn’t attract a number of decent candidates and appoint an exciting prospect. 

I’m led to believe we had a number of applicants for the job when Duffy left and one of them is a guy who I’d probably have taken over Farrell in the shape of Kevin Harper.

I was happy enough with the appointment at the time but I did have reservations, his CV was hardly impressive but he talked a good game and had conmections to the club. We had also just suffered years of Duffyball, some truly depressing transfer windows and 90% of the time Duffy just gave off the impression that he couldn’t be arsed, having someone who was enthusiastic felt like a breath of fresh air. His signings haven’t been bad, I’m sure everyone was happy enough with McGeever, Orsi, MacLean, McKee, Buchanan, Carlo and Carswell being part of this season’s squad which was complemented by some fairly promising looking players like Wilson, Duthie, Lynch and Muir. I was a wee bit worried by the amount of older guys we signed but Faz backed that up by claiming he brought them in for their winning mentality which made me think fair enough. Unfortunately he can’t get a tune out of many of these guys, or get them to compete as a cohesive unit when we know a lot of them are good enough for this level. 

There’s always a lot of chat about how skint we are but he’s been fairly well backed, the fact he managed to get guys like McKee, Buchanan, McGeever, Orsi and MacLean to committ to us on two year deals when they would’ve had offers elsewhere would back that up. Whilst it would be nowhere near the budget of the likes of QP, Falkirk and Cove he should be doing far better.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m led to believe we had a number of applicants for the job when Duffy left and one of them is a guy who I’d probably have taken over Farrell in the shape of Kevin Harper.

I was happy enough with the appointment at the time but I did have reservations, his CV was hardly impressive but he talked a good game and had conmections to the club. We had also just suffered years of Duffyball, some truly depressing transfer windows and 90% of the time Duffy just gave off the impression that he couldn’t be arsed, having someone who was enthusiastic felt like a breath of fresh air. His signings haven’t been bad, I’m sure everyone was happy enough with McGeever, Orsi, MacLean, McKee, Buchanan, Carlo and Carswell being part of this season’s squad which was complemented by some fairly promising looking players like Wilson, Duthie, Lynch and Muir. I was a wee bit worried by the amount of older guys we signed but Faz backed that up by claiming he brought them in for their winning mentality which made me think fair enough. Unfortunately he can’t get a tune out of many of these guys, or get them to compete as a cohesive unit when we know a lot of them are good enough for this level. 

There’s always a lot of chat about how skint we are but he’s been fairly well backed, the fact he managed to get guys like McKee, Buchanan, McGeever, Orsi and MacLean to committ to us on two year deals when they would’ve had offers elsewhere would back that up. Whilst it would be nowhere near the budget of the likes of QP, Falkirk and Cove he should be doing far better.

As a rule of thumb I don't like bringing players back as most times it ends in a failure to rerun history - a player's previous performance record is no guarantee of a repeat.  In that respect we took quite a punt regarding Bucky, Pat Boyle, Andy Geggan and Joe McKee and it has not been too successful.  

Another problem has been the fringe players.  Wilson, Orsi, Stokes and Muir have a total of only a few hours football between them in the last couple of months and it really shows; Calum Wilson in particular has suffered badly.

My biggest concern has been despite recently bringing in fresh players nothing has been done to address the long-problematic left back situation.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Another problem has been the fringe players.  Wilson, Orsi, Stokes and Muir have a total of only a few hours football between them in the last couple of months and it really shows; Calum Wilson in particular has suffered badly.

I agree. Instead of getting them playing he has just chosen to completely freeze them out.

Wilson is 18 and has shown he clearly has talent, he’s a confidence player who has had every last bit of it drained out of him. There’s certain ways of managing young guys with minimal experience and completely freezing them out doesn’t strike me as the best way of getting the best out of what is a talented, albeit hugely inexperienced player. Whilst his performances dipped after he initially burst onto the scene I do have a lot of sympathy for him, I think a better manager could have got him back to form. 

17 hours ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

You could go back a lot further. I would suggest that Billy Lamont was the last manager we really 'recruited'. Between then (1990) and Ian Murray we had eleven managers. Of them eight were ex-players. the other three were Alan Adamson (at the club when appointed), David Winnie (a first time gamble) and Brian Fairley (came from the juniors). Of those eleven not one is a manager today.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

You could go back a lot further. I would suggest that Billy Lamont was the last manager we really 'recruited'. Between then (1990) and Ian Murray we had eleven managers. Of them eight were ex-players. the other three were Alan Adamson (at the club when appointed), David Winnie (a first time gamble) and Brian Fairley (came from the juniors). Of those eleven not one is a manager today.

And the '90 Billy Lamont was a re-hire.

A lot of good conversations, but on a football record as a manager he has no right to still be in a job. Who do we replace him with lve no idea. Just like board didn't when they appointed Farrell. 

Anyone fancy a wee targeted social media campaign against Moreroom? 

The c***s haven't paid a penny and I'm sure we can all see they never had any intention of doing it. It's theft. The owners of this company are very visible on the likes of twitter and I'm sure they wouldn't like constant negative PR about their business. Sure they'll probably block folk when things get said but if enough Sons fans keep at it then it might create problems for them. Genuinely can't think of anything else we could effectively do but I'm all ears for other ideas. 

The club board are apparently disappointed there's been no money recieved. Is there anyone there bothering to question it or are they just shrugging their shoulders and saying "ah well"? If they haven't paid, remove their name from the stadium and the shirts immediately. Go public that they can't be trusted. Instead we sit there and do f**k all and guess what? Next summer it'll be the fans asked to help make up the shortfall through various head frying fundraising exercises.

33 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

How did you end up with a Manchester based company as your main sponsor?

27 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Can't say I've ever seen a situation like this before. Surely a binding contract was signed which non-payment of funds would breach? Does this company have any discernible links to the latest questionably-intentioned owners?

They are our owners essentially. The Norwegians are the front of it but this Manchester based company are the architects who will be planning our stadium move (and thus generating a profit for the Norwegians, in their minds). We couldn't find a sponsor in the summer and they agreed to a stadium and shirt sponsor, but as far as a legally binding contract and breaches of that, I don't know. 

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Anyone fancy a wee targeted social media campaign against Moreroom? 

The c***s haven't paid a penny and I'm sure we can all see they never had any intention of doing it. It's theft. The owners of this company are very visible on the likes of twitter and I'm sure they wouldn't like constant negative PR about their business. Sure they'll probably block folk when things get said but if enough Sons fans keep at it then it might create problems for them. Genuinely can't think of anything else we could effectively do but I'm all ears for other ideas. 

The club board are apparently disappointed there's been no money recieved. Is there anyone there bothering to question it or are they just shrugging their shoulders and saying "ah well"? If they haven't paid, remove their name from the stadium and the shirts immediately. Go public that they can't be trusted. Instead we sit there and do f**k all and guess what? Next summer it'll be the fans asked to help make up the shortfall through various head frying fundraising exercises.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoreRoom4

Their twitter account. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

They are our owners essentially. The Norwegians are the front of it but this Manchester based company are the architects who will be planning our stadium move (and thus generating a profit for the Norwegians, in their minds). We couldn't find a sponsor in the summer and they agreed to a stadium and shirt sponsor, but as far as a legally binding contract and breaches of that, I don't know. 

That's mental stuff; I wonder how long it'll take these chancers to realise that there's a reason others have failed to pull the fast one they're trying. Hopefully you guys can find a sympathetic benefactor and pursue fan ownership or something similar (without following the Clyde model of fans being able to strongarm a board into objectively horrendous actions) before making any move on your own terms. 

12 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoreRoom4

Their twitter account. 

And here is the website

https://moreroom.com/

Now, this is a customer based business so I find it odd that there is not one Trustpilot review or client testimonial anywhere to be seen on the website.  Perhaps that explains why at 10th August 2021 the Capital and Reserves listed on Companies House stood at £17,421, ie less than the proposed sponsorship of DFC. 

Looks like we have become the first club in history to be sponsored by fresh air.