Sons' sorrow

I might be wrong in this but I would say the majority of our kit sales come from supports who “just buy one every year” and the collectors. 

That being the case I don’t see why the club don’t just pick a design and keep it for 2/3 years minimum and just change the sponsors each year, if needed. Constantly changing designs every year is a modern fad that works for big teams in most cases but I just don’t think it works for smaller teams.

1 minute ago, Sons Fan said:

I might be wrong in this but I would say the majority of our kit sales come from supports who “just buy one every year” and the collectors. 

That being the case I don’t see why the club don’t just pick a design and keep it for 2/3 years minimum and just change the sponsors each year, if needed. Constantly changing designs every year is a modern fad that works for big teams in most cases but I just don’t think it works for smaller teams.

I'd have classed myself as a collector before (I have every one we've worn home and away from 08/09 to 18/19) but even I've cut back. I've got both from last season, which I liked, but which were also a donation to the club really to help through Covid. I don't have either from 19/20 (which were both awful) and I've got the away one from this year, but won't bother with the home.

25 minutes ago, super-son said:

Does anyone know who is actually responsible for choosing the kit designs each year?

It's been unanimous on here what the fans want as the teams kit but hugely ignored. I know it has come down to pricing etc but it would be interesting to know if they have any idea how much the fans have disliked the kit options in the last few seasons.

Alan Findlay used to do it up until he left, not sure who is doing it now. 

I really, really hope we're not trying to be fancy next year. A clean, simple, retro design is all anyone wants. 

6 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

I’m a prime example of buying a kit when we release a decent one. I don’t ever wear a top to games or in any other scenario in life tbh but I like buying one when it’s a nice one.

The last time I bought one was in 2014. That tells you all you need to know about the quality of kit we’ve been producing in recent years. Some real honkers, especially since the relegation.

If the anniversary ones have silhouettes on them they will be getting patched as well. Gimmicky, gift shop pish really isn’t my bag.

I'm presuming our replica kit sales need to be break even or as close to as possible hence we use the most basic catalogue efforts any pub team can also order.  Even the badge is iron on nowadays. 

Just another issue with owners not willing to pump any meaningful cash in and only here to make money on property. 

My greater concern is the pitch. For first time ever, I wish we had plastic. But that would take significant investment so ain't happening. 

1 hour ago, PWL said:

I'm presuming our replica kit sales need to be break even or as close to as possible hence we use the most basic catalogue efforts any pub team can also order.  Even the badge is iron on nowadays. 

Just another issue with owners not willing to pump any meaningful cash in and only here to make money on property. 

My greater concern is the pitch. For first time ever, I wish we had plastic. But that would take significant investment so ain't happening. 

Yes, plastic for me too, albeit I arrived at that conclusion some time ago. Broadwood was a decent surface for us last Saturday and significantly better than the current situation at the Rock.

I’d rather not plastic, but if we did switch to an Astro pitch at least make sure it’s a decent one. The likes of Livingston and Kilmarnock’s pitch’s (plus many more) are horrific and don’t allow much decent football at all. Falkirk’s stands out as the best I can think of.

But then again I’d rather we stick with grass. We’ve fcked the pitch up this year by making some bad decisions - next year we must get them right.

Upto 500 k then rent out to local sides to make money back it’s actually quite a smart investment only reason why I do t think it’s been done as of yet is because their no point investing it until they actually know where they are going to be in the next ten years

Upto 500 k then rent out to local sides to make money back it’s actually quite a smart investment only reason why I do t think it’s been done as of yet is because their no point investing it until they actually know where they are going to be in the next ten years

Will allow the club an all weather to train on and do t have to fork out fees to toryglen

1 hour ago, PWL said:

It's only a couple quid extra for embroidery but I suppose it does eat into the margins.

I suspect the biggest advantage is the speed at which you can heat transfer the badges on your blanks for late signings.

I genuinely believe it’d be harder to attract players if we’re training in Dumbarton instead of Glasgow

20 minute drive their and back? Some players if they are winding down stay in west end and players like oyinsan rents cheaper here than it is in Glasgow
Was watching tifo football on grass pitches some amount of work and money goes into them to try keep it good all year probably been bad this season more so because it’s getting played on every week with rangers b and our side playing on it

Personally I think Andy will be a terrific manager.

However, Alloa's manager not being Barry Ferguson is probably the bigger aspect here. Sacking a clearly unpopular manager who is well out of his depth normally has (or at least should have) a galvanising impact on players.

That being said, if we play anything like we did in the first-half at Broadwood then Alloa could have Jurgen Klopp in the dugout on Saturday and we'd still win.

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Personally I think Andy will be a terrific manager.

However, Alloa's manager not being Barry Ferguson is probably the bigger aspect here. Sacking a clearly unpopular manager who is well out of his depth normally has (or at least should have) a galvanising impact on players.

That being said, if we play anything like we did in the first-half at Broadwood then Alloa could have Jurgen Klopp in the dugout on Saturday and we'd still win.

Our experience with promoting to manager from within the the team wasn't a success......

Mark Clougherty.

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve nae idea how true this is but I’m hearing the tops may have a silhouette in the background. I sincerely hope this isn’t the case. 

Simple and classy is the route we should be going down.

A silhouette of the rock combined with the traditional white strip with black and gold bands COULD be an amazing look

24 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

A silhouette of the rock combined with the traditional white strip with black and gold bands COULD be an amazing look

Personally I think silhouettes (such as the Loch Ness strip that was praised by a notorious crackpot on the Facebook group) look tacky as hell. I’d be fairly gutted if we chose something like that over a clean, classic design for such a massive occassion. I find it extremely gimmicky and cheap looking but that may just be me. If we wanted to stick something like thar onto a random away top then fair enough, but for a big anniversary strip I’d rather completely avoid it.

I’m also hoping the badge that was used on the OS was simply a Microsoft Paint job they knocked up quickly for the article and not the actual badge we’re using.