Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Johnny Red said:

You’re actually hilarious, when the comedy night come back at the rock please come down for the open mic night. Your opening gag could be “so I have a wife and a PhD”…..that’ll bring the house down.

You bet bring it on 

educate you lot of dumb asses

22 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Great picture. Was the yellow section to the right side closed off or Dundee didn’t take up the tickets?

Might have needed to leave that section for Dundee staff and for access to the area away teams are using in place of the usual dressing room.

Aside from all the fun and games about who did and didn't smile at who, I'd quite like a wee reflection on where we're heading for the rest of the season.

I've been impressed by Faz this month. He's identified the areas where we've needed improvements (the defence, and a focal point striker) and he's addressed those issues. Will the players who he's brought in be good enough to fire us up the table? That remains to be seen. But I don't think one Sons fan would disagree with the positions he's recruited in. Especially with other clubs seemingly struggling a wee bit to add bodies this month (albeit with plenty of time remaining).

It's probably easy to forget how quickly Faz assembled a squad. I know I'm certainly guilty of overlooking that fact.

He was appointed on May 29 with just Ryan McGeever signed. We played our first friendly against East Kilbride on June 22, and in that time he released near enough an entire squad and signed a new one. It was never going to be perfect, but it feels like he's identified that and fine tuned the areas in need.

Turning our season around is still a big ask. Joshua Oyinsan might flop, Stephen Bronsky might prove that League Two is his ceiling, Adam Hutchinson might be the new Kirk McKnight and Gregg Wylde might be the player he was for Clyde. Who knows. But I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things now than I was at the end of December.

In the last two games it's felt like we've had a much better balance between defence and attack. Carlo Pignatiello has been a big part of that, and Gregor Buchanan has looked much more like himself.

In midfield Paul Paton has been superb, and Joshua has finally given us the focal point in attack we've needed. Ross MacLean benefitted from that against East Fife, and I thought Conner Duthie was tremendous yesterday.

In fact I really don't have a bad word to say about Duthie at all this season. 10 months ago he was out of football entirely. A forgotten man serving the last few months of a ban. Now he's looking like a really good, direct League One attacker. If he could add a few more goals to his game (and he gets in terrific positions) then he could be vital between now and the end of the season. I've really liked what I've seen from him as he's gone from bench warmer to one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I know the wee bams ruined things with their pyro and bricking of the bus. But it was superb to see the stadium with a bit of atmosphere about it yesterday too. I've missed that. Hopefully an upturn in form over the next few weeks can bring back a bit of noise to the place.

Tl;dr version: Faz has signed players in important positions and hopefully they can be what is needed to turn our season around.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Aside from all the fun and games about who did and didn't smile at who, I'd quite like a wee reflection on where we're heading for the rest of the season.

I've been impressed by Faz this month. He's identified the areas where we've needed improvements (the defence, and a focal point striker) and he's addressed those issues. Will the players who he's brought in be good enough to fire us up the table? That remains to be seen. But I don't think one Sons fan would disagree with the positions he's recruited in. Especially with other clubs seemingly struggling a wee bit to add bodies this month (albeit with plenty of time remaining).

It's probably easy to forget how quickly Faz assembled a squad. I know I'm certainly guilty of overlooking that fact.

He was appointed on May 29 with just Ryan McGeever signed. We played our first friendly against East Kilbride on June 22, and in that time he released near enough an entire squad and signed a new one. It was never going to be perfect, but it feels like he's identified that and fine tuned the areas in need.

Turning our season around is still a big ask. Joshua Oyinsan might flop, Stephen Bronsky might prove that League Two is his ceiling, Adam Hutchinson might be the new Kirk McKnight and Gregg Wylde might be the player he was for Clyde. Who knows. But I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things now than I was at the end of December.

In the last two games it's felt like we've had a much better balance between defence and attack. Carlo Pignatiello has been a big part of that, and Gregor Buchanan has looked much more like himself.

In midfield Paul Paton has been superb, and Joshua has finally given us the focal point in attack we've needed. Ross MacLean benefitted from that against East Fife, and I thought Conner Duthie was tremendous yesterday.

In fact I really don't have a bad word to say about Duthie at all this season. 10 months ago he was out of football entirely. A forgotten man serving the last few months of a ban. Now he's looking like a really good, direct League One attacker. If he could add a few more goals to his game (and he gets in terrific positions) then he could be vital between now and the end of the season. I've really liked what I've seen from him as he's gone from bench warmer to one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I know the wee bams ruined things with their pyro and bricking of the bus. But it was superb to see the stadium with a bit of atmosphere about it yesterday too. I've missed that. Hopefully an upturn in form over the next few weeks can bring back a bit of noise to the place.

Tl;dr version: Faz has signed players in important positions and hopefully they can be what is needed to turn our season around.

I think it’s safe to say if we play anything like we did yesterday then we will be absolutely fine this season. 

It also looks like big Joshua has some pace when he feels like it. Just looks lazy elsewhere sometimes but I won’t be too harsh as it was only his second game 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Jan, I love that your a glass half full kinda person, but I worry that, with where we have been heading and where we are, I worry test worry test little more than 'fine tuning' is needed to change things.

For the sake of Sons, I hope its me that's wrong.

46 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Jan, I love that your a glass half full kinda person, but I worry that, with where we have been heading and where we are, a little more than 'fine tuning' is needed to change things.

For the sake of Sons, I hope its me that's wrong.

I've been really optimistic in that post. But I honestly don't think we're far away. Despite what feels like an endless run of poor form.

In the first-half of the season the only team I've seen outclass us has been Queen's Park. Twice. Although Falkirk were also very good in the 3-0 game at the Rock in October. We could've taken something from both Cove games, should've taken something from Airdrie with eight men and have beaten Montrose (albeit I think they are a tremendous team, and at the level we should be aspiring to reach). Those will be your top five come May. We aren't getting near them, but we also aren't incapable of taking points off them.

Around us, East Fife are in a really bad situation and we've beaten them twice. Based on the games so far I'd say there's very little between pre-January Sons and Peterhead/Alloa and Clyde. We've taken four points from Alloa and Clyde, and none from Peterhead.

This month Peterhead have seen Josh Mulligan recalled, and Alloa have seen Euan Henderson recalled. Both could obviously return, but if they don't then that will weaken them.

We've scored 29 goals this season. The same as Peterhead, one more than Alloa, and four more than Clyde. If we can keep scoring at that rate, but stop conceding Danny Baker Own Goals and Gaffe video-worthy efforts at the other end then I can't see there being much between any of those sides come May.

Put it this way, I feel a lot better about our chances of avoiding the bottom two positions at this stage of this season than I did last year. 

I think our next three games will be very difficult to get anything from. 4 points from those would be a big achievement. The best I reckon we can hope for, is that the teams around us don't pick up many more points than us in that time.

The run of games starting with Clyde away will no doubt be absolutely massive for our chances of avoiding the dreaded play-off.

Edited by FifeSons

Any more word on Wright being back from injury? I think Jan had quoted Faz as saying they'd hoped 7-10 days out, which would make him available for next week?

We could do with getting Ramsbottom out of the starting lineup pronto.

Edited by FifeSons

10 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4d766a908234b3b2dc42f8314b684a43.jpeg😍😍

Great picture. A couple of questions lads. As a streaming customer on Saturday, and having just seen the highlights on the 'The Scottish Cup' youtube channel there was a substantial difference in quality between the two. Also the highlights package was obviously taken from the opposite side of the stadium for one thing, but they were much closer and seemed more focused on the action. Anyone know why the difference?

Also given the great setting of your stadium why not have the stand on the opposite side in order to exploit that tremendous view? There must be some logic as to that decision, is the ground not suitable for a stand on the other side.

Anyways it wasn't a red, and I've never seen Cammy Kerr play anything up like that as it's not his style. And as for the other incident I guess it was a penalty by the letter of the law, not a big fan in general of how that law is applied. You deserved a to get us into extra time at the very least.

I hope you get above Alloa and Clyde and send one of them into the playoffs instead of yourselves.

Edited by CanadianDee

2 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

Great picture. A couple of questions lads. As a streaming customer on Saturday, and having just seen the highlights on the 'The Scottish Cup' youtube channel there was a substantial difference in quality between the two. Also the highlights package was obviously taken from the opposite side of the stadium for one thing, but they were much closer and seemed more focused on the action. Anyone know why the difference?

Also given the great setting of your stadium why not have the stand on the opposite side in order to exploit that tremendous view? There must be some logic as to that decision, is the ground not suitable for a stand on the other side.

Anyways it wasn't a red, and I've never seen Cammy Kerr play anything up like that as it's not his style. And as for the other incident I guess it was a penalty by the letter of the law, not a big fan in general of how that law is applied. You deserved a to get us into extra time at the very least.

I hope you get above Alloa and Clyde and send one of them into the playoffs instead of yourselves.

1. BBC provided their own camera and camera operator for their highlights. Our streaming service is provided via an AI camera in the stand. System is provided by a firm called Pixellot. It was a way for Scottish clubs to offer streaming during the pandemic without the need for skilled camera operators and people with a lot of technical skill. It's a web interface for things like graphic overlays and a basic front end for taking payments. THe Pixellot system met a pressing need for clubs. It has some serious flaws. There's a now infamous incident at another club where the camera mistook a bald linesman for the ball and spent much of the game tracking it. It can struggle to find the ball and track it from time to time and that can mean missing key incidents. Ultimately it is what it is. Most clubs in our professional hockey league now stream games and it's a better service for the £15 a game that they charge. Human operated cameras with good resolutions (Except Nottingham - they're pish). Unfortunately its not really possible for lower league clubs to easily call on the skills needed for that. A handful of clubs can. Most can't, unless you can potentially do something with a local college/university or have fans with the appropriate skills.

2. There were plans to build a 2nd stand. Never happened. Money and local fan demand being 2 of the main reasons. There probably wasnt a good option down there for a single stand. If it had been build on the opposite side and was facing the rock then it potentially creates a wind tunnel. As it is, the pitch gets little protection from the weather and ti's open to wind and rain anyway.

2 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

The stream is through a camera package mounted in the main stand. It tracks the ball as it moves round the pitch. Don’t quote me on the name of it but I believe it’s pixellot? 

As for your question about the stand facing the castle. This was originally how it was to be built however I think some bird animal lovers objected against for protection of wildlife on the castle? Sounds bizarre but I’m sure that’s the reason. 

soft penalty, but as you say letter of the law it is. As for Cammy Kerr I’ve always thought he looked like a bit of pellet but he’s outdone himself on the play acting. 

4 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

1. BBC provided their own camera and camera operator for their highlights. Our streaming service is provided via an AI camera in the stand. System is provided by a firm called Pixellot. It was a way for Scottish clubs to offer streaming during the pandemic without the need for skilled camera operators and people with a lot of technical skill. It's a web interface for things like graphic overlays and a basic front end for taking payments. THe Pixellot system met a pressing need for clubs. It has some serious flaws. There's a now infamous incident at another club where the camera mistook a bald linesman for the ball and spent much of the game tracking it. It can struggle to find the ball and track it from time to time and that can mean missing key incidents. Ultimately it is what it is. Most clubs in our professional hockey league now stream games and it's a better service for the £15 a game that they charge. Human operated cameras with good resolutions (Except Nottingham - they're pish). Unfortunately its not really possible for lower league clubs to easily call on the skills needed for that. A handful of clubs can. Most can't, unless you can potentially do something with a local college/university or have fans with the appropriate skills.

2. There were plans to build a 2nd stand. Never happened. Money and local fan demand being 2 of the main reasons. There probably wasnt a good option down there for a single stand. If it had been build on the opposite side and was facing the rock then it potentially creates a wind tunnel. As it is, the pitch gets little protection from the weather and ti's open to wind and rain anyway.

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

The stream is through a camera package mounted in the main stand. It tracks the ball as it moves round the pitch. Don’t quote me on the name of it but I believe it’s pixellot? 

As for your question about the stand facing the castle. This was originally how it was to be built however I think some bird animal lovers objected against for protection of wildlife on the castle? Sounds bizarre but I’m sure that’s the reason. 

soft penalty, but as you say letter of the law it is. As for Cammy Kerr I’ve always thought he looked like a bit of pellet but he’s outdone himself on the play acting. 

Historic Scotland raised objections to the stand facing the Castle/Rock, therefore we had to build facing away.  Fortunately Loch Lomond National Park Authority didn't take the same stance, or we'd've been fucked.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I knew about pixellot, I guess I was more wondering why if there was good video coming from the other side they couldn't just use the good feed for the ppv delivery. Probably some good reason. It was weird when I watched the highlights and saw crystal clear shots from much closer up than how I remembered watching the game.

A bit of a shame about the stand as that would be some way to watch a game. Thank you for the response.

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Thank you, yes it's pixellot. I understand the benefit for many clubs and idea behind it. Just confused as I outlined in previous post.

Interesting stuff about the stand. Over the years I've probably seen Dundee play away in 20 different venues, but have never made it to Dumbarton.

Cammy may look like a pellet, but that's not his game usually. 

11 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Any more word on Wright being back from injury? I think Jan had quoted Faz as saying they'd hoped 7-10 days out, which would make him available for next week?

We could do with getting Ramsbottom out of the starting lineup pronto.

I didn't hear anything from Faz to suggest he won't be back this weekend. So, unless his groin flares up in training again, I'd imagine he should be fit for the Cove game.

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Historic Scotland raised objections to the stand facing the Castle/Rock, therefore we had to build facing away.  Fortunately Loch Lomond National Park Authority didn't take the same stance, or we'd've been fucked.

I never really understood that reasoning from Historic Scotland.

”Nope, we mustn’t give the fans anything nice to look at during the game”.