Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

It's illegal to stream for fans abroad?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing - you suggested we flog a season ticket together with a VPN to fans so that those fans can watch the game no matter where they are? Under normal black out rules you can't do that, officially. If you're just suggesting we sell season tickets to fans who are actually abroad then they don't need a VPN. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're proposing - you suggested we flog a season ticket together with a VPN to fans so that those fans can watch the game no matter where they are? Under normal black out rules you can't do that, officially. If you're just suggesting we sell season tickets to fans who are actually abroad then they don't need a VPN. 

It could be coincidental that we choose to have a VPN "sponsor" for streaming games to those "abroad"

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, I'd have thought the authorities would have something to say about that.

There's nothing illegal about it. It's just against the terms and conditions agreed with Sky. It is, however, impossible to police. The SPFL oversight is always overstated. The SPFL is the clubs and from my understanding of the generally older and technically naive guys in charge; either noone has their finger on the pulse or if they do they keep quiet because it benefits them, at least relatively.

The TV deals were the main income in a sponsor less SPFL and still now a majority of the prize money, This might seem a mad stance to take by burning your own income source but the reality is the teams with bigger supports will strengthen compared to the smaller teams and especially teams like mine and yours.

A team like Rangers who, credit to them, were miles ahead of everyone on streaming at the beginning of the pandemic probably lose out to TV deals. Tinfoil hat time, when Rangers oppose 10 other Premiership sides to not have fans in the stadium its because they're number one at streaming and the rest will hurt a lot more than they will.

On 18/01/2022 at 15:12, the snudge said:

Perhaps if the club sold the season ticket to "abroad" fans with a link to an affiliated VPN perhaps a "sponsor" then this would be a happy medium rather than lose much needed income.

Cynical, and I presume something that the SPFL would crack down on if everyone was doing it, though I take on Board what Leo is saying about Hibs and Rangers. It's pretty disgraceful if they are getting away with that.

On 18/01/2022 at 18:18, GordyBrow said:

Perhaps there could be a more expensive “season ticket with streaming” option going forward? This would allow those in my situation to mainly stream, but attend the odd game when possible, but dissuade locals from taking that option. Granted that doesn’t offer any provision for away fans to stream a match and it’s probably less viable to have a higher single match streaming price than the pay at gate price.

23 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I'd be delighted if we did this and would happily pay a premium. The streams have been a Godsend for me.

This is not within Dumbarton's remit to offer though. If the pre-pandemic conditions return then you can't do that.

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

There's nothing illegal about it. It's just against the terms and conditions agreed with Sky. It is, however, impossible to police. The SPFL oversight is always overstated. The SPFL is the clubs and from my understanding of the generally older and technically naive guys in charge; either noone has their finger on the pulse or if they do they keep quiet because it benefits them, at least relatively.

Do you think you could split that hair any thinner? No, it's not "illegal", nobody's going to jail for it, but it is contrary to SPFL rules and potentially liable to get clubs fined.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Do you think you could split that hair any thinner? No, it's not "illegal", nobody's going to jail for it, but it is contrary to SPFL rules and potentially liable to get clubs fined.

There's a large difference between illegality and breaking a contract. Which perhaps coincidentally is why I made the distinction.

the generally older and technically naive guys in charge; either noone has their finger on the pulse

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is not within Dumbarton's remit to offer though. If the pre-pandemic conditions return then you can't do that.

That I am aware of, I was however putting forth a hypothetical for this post-pandemic. I honestly think a return to the ban on streaming would be incredibly short-sighted and that there’s probably a solution which can be reached which keeps people turning up at games but services remote fans better.

Turning away from all this exciting VPN chat for a second, I spoke to big Josh after the game - and you can read what he had to say here. He's an instantly likeable character I have to say. Right away he was having a bit of a joke and a laugh, although the fact he drove from Eastbourne and signed for us without even having somewhere to stay is complete madness :lol:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/meet-josh-oyinsan-paul-pogba-25997934

8 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

There's a large difference between illegality and breaking a contract. Which perhaps coincidentally is why I made the distinction.

There really isn't. I don't think Moonster or anyone else was suggesting Dumbarton would end up in Court over it. Your literal response to "illegal" is needless. It's not allowed. Period. That others may be tacitly encouraging it doesn't make it right. What you are suggesting is the equivalent of saying it's fine to speed on the roads as long as there are no speed cameras, the police haven't put a patrol car there and others are doing it.

1 hour ago, GordyBrow said:

That I am aware of, I was however putting forth a hypothetical for this post-pandemic. I honestly think a return to the ban on streaming would be incredibly short-sighted and that there’s probably a solution which can be reached which keeps people turning up at games but services remote fans better.

Not sure I agree. I guess it depends how much you feel lower league clubs might be handicapped in attracting fans by the ability of floating fans to stream Rangers and Celtic games (and other bigger sides) rather than attend their local club. Scotland's not that big a country and the vast majority of clubs (outwith the Highlands,, Aberdeenshire and a couple of clubs like us in the South) are within an hour's drive of one another. Domestically, if people are interested in 90% of Dumbarton's games then they can go. Unless they are watching AT work or genuinely housebound then streaming's not adding much. You need to remember there's a downside as well as an upside. For every fan who might stream a game they otherwise wouldn't go to you have to factor in the ones who might have gone but won't because they can stream Dundee United v Rangers instead.

And frankly football needs fans at matches. It shouldn't be moving towards empty stadia and a watching tv audience. That diminishes the atmosphere and ultimately the product for both those attending and those playing. Different if grounds are packed out anyway but that's not the case outside two obvious clubs. Streaming is an encouragement not to attend matches. It's handy and, due to my domestic circumstances in the last couple of years taking me from a "go every week" fan to one that can only attend 1 in every 2 away games roughly, I've made good use of it. But as much as it may benefit me at the moment I'm far from convinced it's a good thing for Scottish football to encourage longer term.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There really isn't. I don't think Moonster or anyone else was suggesting Dumbarton would end up in Court over it. Your literal response to "illegal" is needless. It's not allowed. Period. That others may be tacitly encouraging it doesn't make it right. What you are suggesting is the equivalent of saying it's fine to speed on the roads as long as there are no speed cameras, the police haven't put a patrol car there and others are doing it.

Your argument is that I should take a figurative stance on what is 'illegal' ? The difference could easily be contrasted by Queen of the South last year:

It was very illegal to let George Galloway and family to spectate at the height of tier 4 restrictions. This was signed into law.

While it was against the SPFL rules,  not allowing access for the club's website and forbidding visiting clubs to film in last year's championship, it was certainly not "illegal."

Hope this helps illustrate. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Turning away from all this exciting VPN chat for a second, I spoke to big Josh after the game - and you can read what he had to say here. He's an instantly likeable character I have to say. Right away he was having a bit of a joke and a laugh, although the fact he drove from Eastbourne and signed for us without even having somewhere to stay is complete madness :lol:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/meet-josh-oyinsan-paul-pogba-25997934

FairPlay to the man for driving up for training, hopefully he’s a good addition…I didn’t realise he actually work for adidas as the body double lol in my mind it was that bootleg version of Jamie vardy you see on soccer am as a wind up haha 😂 

hopefully some news about bronsky and the chap they want to get in on loan tonight from training? 

14 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

FairPlay to the man for driving up for training, hopefully he’s a good addition…I didn’t realise he actually work for adidas as the body double lol in my mind it was that bootleg version of Jamie vardy you see on soccer am as a wind up haha 😂 

hopefully some news about bronsky and the chap they want to get in on loan tonight from training? 

:lol: Nope, he's actually paid to play Paul Pogba in adverts. A bit bizarre, but here we are.

I'd hope so RE the signings. Faz certainly seemed quite confident Bronsky would be coming in, so I'd imagine we're just waiting on the final paperwork and signing photos being cleared up. Same, hopefully, goes for the loanee. I'd imagine that'll be Faz's January business done if those two get tied up this week.

[emoji38] Nope, he's actually paid to play Paul Pogba in adverts. A bit bizarre, but here we are.
I'd hope so RE the signings. Faz certainly seemed quite confident Bronsky would be coming in, so I'd imagine we're just waiting on the final paperwork and signing photos being cleared up. Same, hopefully, goes for the loanee. I'd imagine that'll be Faz's January business done if those two get tied up this week.
Isn't Bronsky cup tied though, so won't be available until next week?

3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:
24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:
emoji38.png Nope, he's actually paid to play Paul Pogba in adverts. A bit bizarre, but here we are.

Isn't Bronsky cup tied though, so won't be available until next week?

He will be, aye. As is Gregg Wylde. So the defence will need a reshuffle this weekend regardless of who we bring in.

I'm not actually quite sure what Faz will do. I'd probably be more comfortable to see Carsy bumped back to centre-half than us start with Lynch and Buchanan together again.