Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The 3pm blocking rule is so easy to get around it’s barely even an issue these days, with a click of a button you can gain access no bother. I’ve been watching streams from away games for years now. If those streams weren’t available I still wouldn’t be attending in person so it’s ultimately a bit of extra cash for those clubs offering it.

Well only if the other club actually bothers to film it for streaming. And only if you can be bothered / have the expertise required to set up a VPN.

Is it really the case that League 1 and 2 clubs are streaming overseas regularly? You presumably were in the Championship for long periods in which you were streaming previously where clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Thistle etc would have been doing so.

I think it's likely (but not certain) that our streaming at Palmerston will stop as soon as domestic streaming is banned again. We'll look at the numbers and see but I doubt we have enough potential overseas sales to make it worthwhile. The goalposts have moved from us not doing before in that the equipment and 'know how' is now there and wouldn't need an investment but I still doubt we'd sell more than 10 - 20 streams a week to non domestic. Likely to be more hassle than it's worth.

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well only if the other club actually bothers to film it for streaming. And only if you can be bothered / have the expertise required to set up a VPN.

Is it really the case that League 1 and 2 clubs are streaming overseas regularly? You presumably were in the Championship for long periods in which you were streaming previously where clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Thistle etc would have been doing so.

I think it's likely (but not certain) that our streaming at Palmerston will stop as soon as domestic streaming is banned again. We'll look at the numbers and see but I doubt we have enough potential overseas sales to make it worthwhile. The goalposts have moved from us not doing before in that the equipment and 'know how' is now there and wouldn't need an investment but I still doubt we'd sell more than 10 - 20 streams a week to non domestic. Likely to be more hassle than it's worth.

I’ve watched streams from Partick, Raith, East Fife and Falkirk in League 1 in recent years and when we were in Championship we had numerous clubs offering streams, albeit I attended much more away games back then, I still often watched via live stream. Like I said I don’t attend away games nowadays so if they don’t offer a stream I don’t watch the game and thus don’t give them any money. 

As for the expertise to set up a VPN - it really is extremely easy to do. You can use a free service like Hola which quite literally requires the click of a button to change your location. 

If we have the equipment in place already and if the volunteers are willing to continue setting things up then I’d hope we’d keep it in place. Even if we run it without commentary (which would be a shame given how good it is) I’d be happy enough. 

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ve watched streams from Partick, Raith, East Fife and Falkirk in League 1 in recent years and when we were in Championship we had numerous clubs offering streams, albeit I attended much more away games back then, I still often watched via live stream. Like I said I don’t attend away games nowadays so if they don’t offer a stream I don’t watch the game and thus don’t give them any money. 

As for the expertise to set up a VPN - it really is extremely easy to do. You can use a free service like Hola which quite literally requires the click of a button to change your location. 

If we have the equipment in place already and if the volunteers are willing to continue setting things up then I’d hope we’d keep it in place. Even if we run it without commentary (which would be a shame given how good it is) I’d be happy enough. 

I'm aware of East Fife, who had their own reasons for doing so which probably no longer exist. Falkirk are an unusual case remaining in league 1 as they do at the moment. Neither Raith nor Partick are in League 1 now (though Dunfermline may drop in and do so of course) I'd be genuinely surprised if this time next year more than 2 or 3 other clubs are continuing with streaming for foreign viewers outside the top division. The notion you'd be able to do so every away game is I suspect pie in the sky.

I think you under-estimate the degree to which people will actually put themselves out to obtain a stream. Whether it's "literally one click" (really?) or not I doubt many will do so if they are even conscious they can.

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm aware of East Fife, who had their own reasons for doing so which probably no longer exist. Falkirk are an unusual case remaining in league 1 as they do at the moment. Neither Raith nor Partick are in League 1 now (though Dunfermline may drop in and do so of course) I'd be genuinely surprised if this time next year more than 2 or 3 other clubs are continuing with streaming for foreign viewers outside the top division. The notion you'd be able to do so every away game is I suspect pie in the sky.

I think you under-estimate the degree to which people will actually put themselves out to obtain a stream. Whether it's "literally one click" (really?) or not I doubt many will do so if they are even conscious they can.

As a comete IT moron and someone who regularly chucks things if they become too IT complicated to set up, a free VPN like Hola could be operated by a monkey. 

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As a comete IT moron and someone who regularly chucks things if they become too IT complicated to set up, a free VPN like Hola could be operated by a monkey. 

Possibly, and we're all guilty of judging these things by our own standards, but I'm not entirely IT useless but I've never used a VPN in my life and despite having a genuine interest in football, I can't see me ever going looking for one to enable me to stream something I'm not meant to do anyway. My dad would look at me like I had horns in my head if I suggested he could stream something by using a "VPN". I think it's easy to underestimate the proportion of fans who genuinely have no idea such a thing can be done, let alone actually do it themselves.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

33 minutes ago, George Parr said:

In my view the blackout should only return and streaming discontinued once all (and i mean all) restrictions have been retracted. Until then streaming (domestic and abroad) should be permitted.

That's not in our own remit to decide though. The SPFL can decide, in line with commercial broadcast partners, the extent to which domestic streaming is allowed, but other countries can prevent the broadcast into their territories as suits. England have already long since re-activated the ban on streaming into there (on Saturdays). In reality it's unlikely any other country cares enough.

This last three weeks has shown exactly why it's important that streaming remained a fall back option for clubs but as society continues to open up, it would be a surprise if streaming isn't binned in the summer. Even if that's with grounds still requiring a vaccine passport to attend in person.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

In my view the blackout should only return and streaming discontinued once all (and i mean all) restrictions have been retracted. Until then streaming (domestic and abroad) should be permitted.

Your kidding yourself if you think all of these restrictions will ever be retracted 

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Possibly, and we're all guilty of judging these things by our own standards, but I'm not entirely IT useless but I've never used a VPN in my life and despite having a genuine interest in football, I can't see me ever going looking for one to enable me to stream something I'm not meant to do anyway. My dad would look at me like I had horns in my head if I suggested he could stream something by using a "VPN". I think it's easy to underestimate the proportion of fans who genuinely have no idea such a thing can be done, let alone actually do it themselves.

The number of people who know how to do these sort of things is only going to get bigger year upon year given how technology is with younger folk nowadays.

Firesticks are very common now also.  You can watch any championship game live every week, and Falkirk.  Occasionally some other lower league games will pop up. Vpn built in, all you do is turn the power on and select a channel.    Not great for the clubs financial pockets, but good for the wideo viewers.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

There were no restrictions which impinged on fans attending Saturday's game

The streaming has been invaluable on so many levels, but it can never compare to the live experience. 

That was brought home on Saturday when Gregg Wylde let fly from 30 yards - there is simply no way (even with an excellent commentary team) that people viewing his goal remotely could have imagined the shared experience those of us at The Rock felt.  In fact I would go as far as to say that it was possibly the biggest WOW! moment for Sons fans since Froxy's winner at Oswestry.

I have every respect for people who feel that they can't attend in person right now, but for others who can and are beginning to drift away I would encourage you to consider what you may be missing.

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I've no idea on the numbers who watch but, and I say this as someone obviously involved with the stream, I totally agree with your post. 

At the start of the season the stream was included in the ST, and that's fair enough given the Covid situation. Some people might not feel comfortable going to games, and there was always the threat of lockdowns and restrictions. 

For next season though I'd imagine (unless Covid changes) that the 3pm blackout will be back and that'll be the end of streaming for most clubs. It's probably hurting our away gates too; if you're an East Fife fan who hasn't seen them win away from home since God knows when are you going to spend the money and time associated with an away day, when you can stream it from home for £12?

I live in Fife and usually don't get to home games much so a season ticket doesn't usually make financial sense or me. For the past two seasons I have bought one precisely because of the streaming. In normal times I see many more away games than home ones which doesn't help DFC much except for my vocal support of the team. These past two seasons I haven't been inside an away ground nor bought an away stream. Continuing of streaming would obviously benefit me - and give the club my season ticket money - but perhaps not home attendances more generally.

I’m in a similar situation to various other people for whom a season ticket wouldn’t make sense were it not for the streaming. I live too far away from Dumbarton to make it to more than the odd home game, but have bought season tickets to access the streaming over the past two seasons. Personally I’d love for that to be able to continue, the club gets my money and I can watch matches I wouldn’t otherwise. 

Perhaps there could be a more expensive “season ticket with streaming” option going forward? This would allow those in my situation to mainly stream, but attend the odd game when possible, but dissuade locals from taking that option. Granted that doesn’t offer any provision for away fans to stream a match and it’s probably less viable to have a higher single match streaming price than the pay at gate price.

Edited by GordyBrow

8 hours ago, the snudge said:

Perhaps if the club sold the season ticket to "abroad" fans with a link to an affiliated VPN perhaps a "sponsor" then this would be a happy medium rather than lose much needed income.

I'd be delighted if we did this and would happily pay a premium. The streams have been a Godsend for me.

Speaking of which, I wonder how much we're charging for the Dundee game? I haven't seen the price anywhere yet.