Sons' sorrow

On 28/11/2021 at 17:38, Jan Vojáček said:

I know there were a few issues with the stream yesterday (although I never really know until people tell me for obvious reasons!). Thought it might be a good time to post this up again.

Basically Sarti is the only volunteer we have to cover the technical side of the stream. We put out an appeal in June but I don't think anyone came forward - so if we have issues and he can't make a game then we're effectively humped. 

It's similar with the Goal Cam. My brother isn't about at as many games this season (with his Bankies involvement) so we don't have anyone to run it. Hence it's not a thing - despite us having two perfectly good GoPros sitting about. We're obviously one of the few clubs left who don't do highlights anymore either.

Volunteering on the media side at DFC is time consuming. I won't deny that. And you can expect complaints from our fans about anything and everything they don't instantly love (especially after a defeat...). There are also plenty of SPFL rules to learn about what you can and can't do, and when you can post things. And there are a few clubs who love to be awkward about things. But if anyone has the skills (or fancies learning them on the job) then fire the club an email and offer to help out.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4947

I know from speaking to other clubs (namely East Fife and Airdrie) that they have cracking wee teams of media volunteers for highlights, streaming, post-match interviews with players and the manager and so on. It would be fantastic to have something similar to that at DFC. 

This kind of thing is right up my street but unfortunately I simply can't commit the time required to do it! Between balancing things I currently have on, gigs and having a young family it is near impossible for me to give up the time required. 

I studied media a few (good few now... 😢) years ago and I asked about getting a few of us involved at the time. There wasn't much response from the club and it didn't go anywhere really. But the whole thing itself would be invaluable to a student who is looking to gain hands on experience and maybe has to completely a project for a graded unit or other assessment. It ticks all of the boxes for sure.

14 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

A few weeks away from entering our 125th year & not a peep from DFC about any sort of celebration is pretty poor. 

Seriously late if we're planning on celebrating 125 years of DFC ;)

Anyway, there's plenty going on behind the scenes for that. The club's only 148 years old at the moment (23 December), so next season being our 150th year is when it'll be marked. The folk involved in it couldn't be any more passionate about the history of DFC. I've spoken to Jim McAllister about it basically every week for the past year or so and, as you can imagine, he's got some good stuff lined up.

It was mentioned before on the match thread that Farrell's position would be in question if we lost the next two. Honestly today's performance has me convinced he should go. Don't see the board making that decision though. 

I can't see Farrell turning this around. Either tactically or getting players in January. We are a shambles front and back, totally devoid of any confidence and fight, tactically clueless, the list goes on. 

Thanks for your efforts Stevie but this hasn't worked out. 

4 minutes ago, Sub-Keeper said:

It was mentioned before on the match thread that Farrell's position would be in question if we lost the next two. Honestly today's performance has me convinced he should go. Don't see the board making that decision though. 

I can't see Farrell turning this around. Either tactically or getting players in January. We are a shambles front and back, totally devoid of any confidence and fight, tactically clueless, the list goes on. 

Thanks for your efforts Stevie but this hasn't worked out. 

I think things look pretty ominous. 

1 win in 10, 2 draws, 5 points out of a possible 30. When was the last time we were embroiled in such a bad run of form? 

The biggest concern for me is that we just don’t look like turning things around at all. We can’t afford to replace the full defence in January, we need someone to coach them in the dark arts of defending and I’m not convinced Farrell would know where to start. 

I don’t think he’ll be sacked anytime soon, I don’t even know if it would be harsh to sack him at this stage, maybe it would. I don’t think his coaching staff are helping matters, none of them competed at a very high level (I think Farrell maybe only had one season outwith the junior leagues) and they just strike me as a bunch of guys who you could imagine pulling off cup shocks with Auchinleck Talbot or something. Maybe bringing in a young coach who’s played at a good level would help. I dunno.

Maybe Syvertsen will be available next weekend and bag a hattrick.

Today was another poor day in a run of poor days. Farrell will certainly be under pressure, but I think the reality of the situation is that it would be difficult to find somebody who'll do better. McGeever is a big miss for is, although his form when he was fit wasnt exactly brilliant. Neither Boyle nor Geggen are good enough these days. McKee hasnt been doing enough for us this season. Then there's the lack of a proper goal scorer. I thought that we might be able to get by with a spread of goals from our forwards and from McKee but that just isnt happening. For quite some time now we've been going into games expecting to struggle and as soon as we go behind then we look a beaten team. Maybe Faz isnt going to turn it round and the Clyde result today puts us under even more pressure. I just don't see how we make meaningful changes when the club seems to lack leadership and direction. I wouldn't trust the club to recruit a replacement for Farrell or to help him address some of the problems in the squad. I'd hope if nothing else that we could maybe bring in a couple of loans in January. Or that we're not paying Hopkirk during his time away from the game and that we can use that money elsewhere.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Today was another poor day in a run of poor days. Farrell will certainly be under pressure, but I think the reality of the situation is that it would be difficult to find somebody who'll do better. McGeever is a big miss for is, although his form when he was fit wasnt exactly brilliant. Neither Boyle nor Geggen are good enough these days. McKee hasnt been doing enough for us this season. Then there's the lack of a proper goal scorer. I thought that we might be able to get by with a spread of goals from our forwards and from McKee but that just isnt happening. For quite some time now we've been going into games expecting to struggle and as soon as we go behind then we look a beaten team. Maybe Faz isnt going to turn it round and the Clyde result today puts us under even more pressure. I just don't see how we make meaningful changes when the club seems to lack leadership and direction. I wouldn't trust the club to recruit a replacement for Farrell or to help him address some of the problems in the squad. I'd hope if nothing else that we could maybe bring in a couple of loans in January. Or that we're not paying Hopkirk during his time away from the game and that we can use that money elsewhere.

Short version: we’re fucked. Both on and off the park. 

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think things look pretty ominous. 

1 win in 10, 2 draws, 5 points out of a possible 30. When was the last time we were embroiled in such a bad run of form? 

The biggest concern for me is that we just don’t look like turning things around at all. We can’t afford to replace the full defence in January, we need someone to coach them in the dark arts of defending and I’m not convinced Farrell would know where to start. 

I don’t think he’ll be sacked anytime soon, I don’t even know if it would be harsh to sack him at this stage, maybe it would. I don’t think his coaching staff are helping matters, none of them competed at a very high level (I think Farrell maybe only had one season outwith the junior leagues) and they just strike me as a bunch of guys who you could imagine pulling off cup shocks with Auchinleck Talbot or something. Maybe bringing in a young coach who’s played at a good level would help. I dunno.

Maybe Syvertsen will be available next weekend and bag a hattrick.

The last time was from December 17 to March 18 when we picked up three points from thirty. The last time at this level was the start of the 2010/11 season when we got four points from the first ten games and resulted in Jim Chapman losing his job.

Geggan. Jobber of a hard man who’s out his depth

Boyle. Never good enough. Arrogance beyond belief and he’s defending is terrible. 

Paton. Ended up not being our worst player today but he doesn’t help matters in midfield. He offers nothing and is absolutely shite. 

Faz tactics are non existent. Just as well we start games with nothing cause if we could defeat ourselves I’m pretty sure we would. 

sury our board must be looking at Montrose as a prime example of what can be done with a bit of patience and making the right appointment. Montrose plan was clear today. Play out from the back and press high. A team filled with hard working young players who had a bit about them and a few experienced heads to keep them in check. They never panicked going 1-0 down and stuck with their approach something we can’t do. 

when we went 1-0 up it reminded me of Stevie aitken times unfortunately. “We are ahead so let’s just defend this”. Concede and then panic and resort to long balls 

Change is imminent hopefully. Otherwise we are fucked 

Firstly, Montrose deserved to win today for a variety of reasons, none of which need to be gone into here.

Secondly, this fixture threw into sharp relief the malaise which has afflicted DFC for the last decade, and which since May this year increasingly threatens the club's very survival.

I'm referring of course to the ownership situation, and it's ironic that our Norwegian 'owner' finally rolled up for a game today.  Where you and I saw footballers he probably saw shiny new houses and manicured gardens.

I say owner but it's obvious that he is merely playing Baldrick to his associate's Blackadder.  The latter is the guy whose business CV would stink out a skunk's toilet, and it is imperative that both must be stopped in their tracks, and very soon.  They currently preside over a rump of a Board and a Chairman who appears oblivious to reality.

Contrast that to today's visitors with their Board of committed local people fired with drive and ambition, a club who have rolled out a successful business plan and football structure under a bright Manager and whose progress has been steadily impressive.

By all means slag of this or that Sons player, Manager or performance but be assured that this club's problems are criminally deeper than any of that.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Just 386 there today. And I'm guessing that includes the free tickets for kids. I'd say there were 50 or so Montrose fans - so minus the kids and hangers on in the directors boxes etc you're probably look at around 200 in the home end. I can never remember a time where there has been so little energy around the club from the fanbase. Relegation, another relegation battle, lockdown, a woeful season of Duffyball only viewable on the stream and now a horrendous run of home form have sapped the life out of everyone. 

It almost feels like everything is playing into the owner's hands. Performances on the pitch have turbocharged a malaise around the club. People are drifting away, disinterested. And that's far more concerning to me than our woeful inability to defend. Although it's a pretty big worry too.

46 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Firstly, Montrose deserved to win today for a variety of reasons, none of which need to be gone into here.

Secondly, this fixture threw into sharp relief the malaise which has afflicted DFC for the last decade, and which since May this year increasingly threatens the club's very survival.

I'm referring of course to the ownership situation, and it's ironic that our Norwegian 'owner' finally rolled up for a game today.  Where you and I saw footballers he probably saw shiny new houses and manicured gardens.

I say owner but it's obvious that he is merely playing Baldrick to his associate's Blackadder.  The latter is the guy whose business CV would stink out a skunk's toilet, and it is imperative that both must be stopped in their tracks, and very soon.  They currently preside over a rump of a Board and a Chairman who appears oblivious to reality.

Contrast that to today's visitors with their Board of committed local people fired with drive and ambition, a club who have rolled out a successful business plan and football structure under a bright Manager and whose progress has been steadily impressive.

By all means slag of this or that Sons player, Manager or performance but be assured that this club's problems are criminally deeper than any of that.

Of course the ownership situation isn’t ideal but I’m not sure it directly impacts how Stevie Farrell has gone about his business. Given the two year deals handed out and the number of players who I’d guess will be on a decent enough wedge for this level (Carswell, Buchanan, Paton, McGeever, McKee, Orsi, MacLean etc) is fair to say he was fairly well backed in the summer with a decent budget. It certainly doesn’t impact on his starting 11, how he is coaching the players or hia tactics. 

I’m not saying we should be ignoring what is a very serious off the field situation but I’m loathed to use it as excuse when assessing how the manager is performing. If we were still trawling through the bargain bucket (like Jim Duffy chose to do) then I’d be more inclined to cut Farrell some slack.

The malaise around the place is very reminiscent of the second half of the 1990's. The air of defeat seems to be everywhere and I'm not sure how anyone can turn it around. We probably need to hit rock bottom before we can and I don't think we're there yet unfortunately. I think we'll definitely be playing L2 football in the next year or two.