Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Shame we didn't get an away trip to Sauchie. Part of the fun of drawing a team like that is going somewhere fans haven't been before.

Just checked where their ground is and I used to run past it all the time and had no idea it was there.

Anyone else feel that if we had an ever so slightly better/competent goalkeeper then we may be in a significantly better position in the league? I find that every other week I feel he could have done better in preventing us conceding a goal.

We have weaknesses throughout the team but I genuinely feel like this is the position where we made a biggest mistake in rushing to re-sign him. Fair enough shotstopper but an absolute bombscare and makes far too many mistake and wrong choices for me - like he did in costing us a point yesterday. 

9 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Anyone else feel that if we had an ever so slightly better/competent goalkeeper then we may be in a significantly better position in the league? I find that every other week I feel he could have done better in preventing us conceding a goal.

We have weaknesses throughout the team but I genuinely feel like this is the position where we made a biggest mistake in rushing to re-sign him. Fair enough shotstopper but an absolute bombscare and makes far too many mistake and wrong choices for me - like he did in costing us a point yesterday. 

I've got to agree with this, and the further worry is that his replacements don't inspire confidence either.

We all knew Ramsbottom was a liability, I was surprised Faz kept him but wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Its not worked out and I'd be looking for a replacement in the summer (can't see us doing anything there in January). Until then it's suck it and see. 

15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Something that was lost in yesterday's mayhem was that young Schiavone put in a very decent shift despite a buffeting which the ref almost totally ignored.

I thought Schiavone was excellent on Saturday. I’ve seen Dumbarton a few times now and I haven’t been too impressed with Orsi up front, most of the threat has came through the wide players but Schiavone looked a real step up on Saturday and lead the line really well. Due to injuries/COVID we haven’t been able to play Kerr and Fordyce together much but when they have played they’ve generally strolled it. Saturday was their poorest game as a pairing though, Kerr particularly struggled to deal with Schiavone throughout the game.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

I thought Schiavone was excellent on Saturday. I’ve seen Dumbarton a few times now and I haven’t been too impressed with Orsi up front, most of the threat has came through the wide players but Schiavone looked a real step up on Saturday and lead the line really well. Due to injuries/COVID we haven’t been able to play Kerr and Fordyce together much but when they have played they’ve generally strolled it. Saturday was their poorest game as a pairing though, Kerr particularly struggled to deal with Schiavone throughout the game.

I thought Schiavone was our best player. He lead the line exceptionally well for an 18-year-old making his first senior start. He's impressed me a few times off the bench too. Orsi has blown hot and cold so far, but Schiavone's showing on Saturday was every bit as good as the best Orsi has played for us (in the 5-0 v East Fife). He was strong, intelligent, unselfish and showed a few great turns of pace.

I also thought Carlo Pignatiello made a big different at right-back. His delivery into the box was a big step up on Edin Lynch's.

I've been thinking a bit about Saturday and (assuming everyone is fit who should be fit) then I'd like to see us go for something like this.

Ramsbottom

Pignatiello Lynch Carswell Boyle

McKee Paton

Duthie Stokes Wilson

Schiavone

I'm a wee bit concerned about the centre-halves. But that aside that team doesn't look horrendously weak given we're without one of our best players in MacLean and both first choice centre-halves. I'll be praying to the footballing gods that Ryan McGeever's knee can be healed this week.

Leaves us with O'Neil, Orsi, McKnight, Muir and Hopkirk on the bench. Assuming that the permanently injured Maley, Syvertsen and the non-existent Lamont don't reaapear.

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought Schiavone was our best player. He lead the line exceptionally well for an 18-year-old making his first senior start. He's impressed me a few times off the bench too. Orsi has blown hot and cold so far, but Schiavone's showing on Saturday was every bit as good as the best Orsi has played for us (in the 5-0 v East Fife). He was strong, intelligent, unselfish and showed a few great turns of pace.

I also thought Carlo Pignatiello made a big different at right-back. His delivery into the box was a big step up on Edin Lynch's.

I've been thinking a bit about Saturday and (assuming everyone is fit who should be fit) then I'd like to see us go for something like this.

Ramsbottom

Pignatiello Lynch Carswell Boyle

McKee Paton

Duthie Stokes Wilson

Schiavone

I'm a wee bit concerned about the centre-halves. But that aside that team doesn't look horrendously weak given we're without one of our best players in MacLean and both first choice centre-halves. I'll be praying to the footballing gods that Ryan McGeever's knee can be healed this week.

Leaves us with O'Neil, Orsi, McKnight, Muir and Hopkirk on the bench. Assuming that the permanently injured Maley, Syvertsen and the non-existent Lamont don't reaapear.

I'm hearing that McGeever's injury may not be a quick-healer.

Not convinced Wilson has made much of an impact in the last couple of games , doing alot of running about but not producing the goods.  Did nothing at Peterhead, nothing against Queens Park and looked like a little boy lost against Airdrie,  who were a physical side pushing him off the ball too easy.  Perhaps keep him for the second half against East Fife and bring him on once the games getting on . . 

47 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

Not convinced Wilson has made much of an impact in the last couple of games , doing alot of running about but not producing the goods.  Did nothing at Peterhead, nothing against Queens Park and looked like a little boy lost against Airdrie,  who were a physical side pushing him off the ball too easy.  Perhaps keep him for the second half against East Fife and bring him on once the games getting on . . 

No.