Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah I wasn’t entirely convinced he’d be interested either but maybe getting back in the dugout and getting a few wins with some good performances has encouraged him to get back into management full time. We have obviously improved although that wouldn’t have been hard after the previous incumbent and the main worry is how will he do over the summer when he has to bring players in.

No offence to Dumbarton but you’d hope that given we are full time with some more resources he might make a better hand of recruitment with us although if he starts fishing about non league teams and exit trial players I’ll be worried.

Almost our entire squad left after his first season as he apparently thought they were overpaid and gave them shite offers. We only kept Hutton and Carswell that season after our sponsors jumped in. I think Duffy is a bit behind the times in that respect, he'd go and get a guy heading out the game who will work hard for peanuts rather than getting players who will improve the team. We had £5K sitting in a managers fund and he never touched it whilst almost relegating us last season. I'm not sure a bigger budget will make a difference but we'll see.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm surprised he's moving back into management. I spoke to him a fair bit after he left us here and here and really thought that he'd be delighted to move into a background role. An academy director, assistant manager or whatever.

As others have said, Duffy will stabilise, improve and then things will stagnate and come to a natural end. Players will love him and give their all. But don't expect him to keep your good ones over the summer. And his recruitment isn't great at all. He loves bringing in players he feels he can improve, rather than players who will improve your team straight away.

It felt like his heart was maybe never fully in being our manager. He could be quite dour, the style of football ranged from poor to woeful and, at times, he felt quite disconnected from the club as a whole.

In saying all that he's fundamentally a decent guy and an absolutely excellent coach of defenders. He'll keep you up this season which, given the mess Hopkin left, is probably not a bad outcome. I hope he does well.

I've just seen a picture of a sharply dressed young man picking up an award for his (and his colleagues) work...well done sir!

52 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've just seen a picture of a sharply dressed young man picking up an award for his (and his colleagues) work...well done sir!

Cheers! The fact Paul McGinn liked my tweet about it meant more than the actual award, I won't lie.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Looks like we’re appointing Duffy permanently. How many of you would’ve thought his next job would be a league up when he left you?

Jim Duffy is responsible for 2 years of the most utterly depressing and brutal football I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching. When he took over from Aitken he inherited a squad that were the bookies favourites to win League 1 and he done well. At the end of that season he failed to negotiate a deal with about 90% of the squad and bar an intervention from our sponsors pretty much the entire squad would’ve walked. It came across like he was still operating in 1995 contract costs and couldn’t quite bring himself to offer players what they deserved.

He may well be a decent guy and no doubt he was working under some difficult circumstances (covid, heart attack etc) but this guy quite literally sucked the life out of our club and I’ve never been more delighted to see a gaffer leave than I was when Duffy left. Every comment in the press was negative pish and he couldn’t even be arsed attending any club event, including the player of the year awards do. Extremely poor stuff IMHO.

I hope for Ayr’s sake he’s decided he’s remotey interested in being a gaffer again. For me personally, he made watching Dumbarton an absolute chore and was the main factor in us being a bawhair away from plying our trade in League 2 this year. I’m not all that interested in wishing him well tbh. Every single one of his media pals will be quick to remind you how great of a manager he is, no matter how bad things are. That also gets boring pretty quickly.

I think he should’ve stuck to being part of a backroom team or moved into youth coaching. 

Jim Duffy appointed at Ayr and already Twitter is awash with supporters of clubs who have never actually had to support a Jim Duffy team proclaiming how good an appointment it is and how great a gaffer he is. 

Jim’s media friends have genuinely brainwashed every Scottish football supporter into thinking he’s the dugs danglies. Mental.

First quarter complete. Fifth in the league with 14 points from nine games. 16 scored. 16 conceded. 10 clear of bottom, three off top spot (although that could be six later today).

Given this is a brand new squad and given where we were last season I think I'd have bitten your hand off for that at the start of the year.

We are a bit dodgy at full-back and still could do with a striker who scores goals. But aside from that I'm pleased with where we are and, hopefully, with time on the training ground and the return of players like Paton and McKee to fitness we should get stronger.

I've absolutely no idea where we'll finish this season. The only team I've seen outclass us so far are Queen's Park. And the only teams I've seen us outclass would be Clyde and East Fife. It is such a cliché but it does feel like anyone can beat anyone on their day. But it's nice to enjoy watching us again (yesterday aside) and to look forward to a Saturday afternoon. The defeats now sting again too. Which definitely didn't happen in the last few months of last year.

I can't speak highly enough of Faz off the park either. He's highly professional, but also a real people person compared with Duffy. I've enjoyed getting to know him a bit - whereas Duffy was always very distant. Faz was even selling raffle tickets for charity at a Dumbarton coffee shop last week. That bit of community involvement is exactly what's needed at a club like us. And exactly the sort of thing that we've been missing since Aitken left.

The league is crazy this season. Just about any side can dish out a hiding one week and take one the next. It's exciting though. Duffys side from last season would be firmly bottom of the league in this league this term. 

I love watching us for the most part.

18 hours ago, microdave said:

14 points is our highest first quarter tally since 2008/09 when we got 16 points.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just to add to this, the 16 goals scored is our biggest since 2011/12 when we scored 18. The five first quarter highest tallies this century have been

19 2001/02

18 2011/12

17 2008/09

16 2021/22

15 2013/14.

If we can get a striker who can get 15 a season, we'd be in with a good chance of being back in the Championship next season imo. Having said that, it's good to see us not relying on one or two who'll get the goals. We've had ten different players score in the league so far(11 if we count Conrad Balatoni.)

Young Callum Wilson scoops the League 1 player of the month award for September and I’m absolutely delighted for him. 

He’s come to the club, won himself a deal as a trialist, took his opportunity when injuries cropped up and he looks to be flourishing under Faz and McKeown. He still has plenty to learn but it’s great to have an exciting young prospect on the books for once. His attitude and work rate are spot on but this guy also has natural ability. 

If I was the gaffer I’d be hounding the chairman to get a new deal on the table pronto.

Given some of the utter dross we've had on loan from Premiership clubs (most of whom were older than 18) I'm staggered that Hibs emptied Wilson. Maybe being punted has led to a change in attitude or maybe he's bulked up. But if that isn't the case then they must have some serious talent coming through.

If he keeps grounded and continues to play with absolutely no fear then he will have a terrific career. He's probably the most exciting young player we've had (e.g not a loan) since Nicky Devlin.

Ask and ye shall receive. Wilson tied down until summer 2023 thanks to the manager's fund cash.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5108

Terrific bit of business. He'll give the manager's fund a fair boost if he keeps his recent form up when he moves on.