Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, Bankies Alive said:

Cracking day for us on Saturday beating Dalkeith 7-0 in front of 820 paying fans.

Decent draw getting Elgin at home even though we’ll be underdogs.

Didn’t fancy playing you anyway,you’re going too well!!

I would absolutely love a Sons Bankies Scottish Cup tie. I’d 100% make the trip North of the border for that.

I’m too young to have a seen a derby (I think, but @lionel wickson will know for sure), so it would be a real collector’s edition for me.

13 hours ago, microdave said:

In this month's four four two, we feature at no.43 in a countdown of the 100 greatest British grounds.20210920_210159.jpg

It also features on pages 151, 152 & 153 in the recently published book 'British Football's Greatest Grounds - One Hundred Must-See Venues' by Mike Bayly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Footballs-Greatest-Grounds-Must-See/dp/1785316478

On 20/09/2021 at 21:04, microdave said:

In this month's four four two, we feature at no.43 in a countdown of the 100 greatest British grounds.20210920_210159.jpg

I quite fancy watching one of your games next month, however for the life of me I cannot work out how to buy a ticket? Is it pay at the gate or something? The information doesn't seem to be available on your website. 

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/

7 hours ago, G_&_T said:

I quite fancy watching one of your games next month, however for the life of me I cannot work out how to buy a ticket? Is it pay at the gate or something? The information doesn't seem to be available on your website. 

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/

It's pay at the gate aye.

4 hours ago, the snudge said:

I had a ball.

Same. Hospitality is obviously not what the club want it to be right now but it was a great day. Good to meet the legends and wee Eoghan Stokes patter was good. He says he'll be back in two weeks, which is good. Team spirit this year is off the charts compared to last year and long may it continue.

There seems to be a good camaraderie between the players. I could see that when they were coming into the stadium. They were genuinely happy and excited to be playing football. Good bit of dig in the team aswell. They fought hard and are fit. We won't go wrong this season with that in the squad.

Edited by the snudge

On 26/09/2021 at 00:58, The Moonster said:

Same. Hospitality is obviously not what the club want it to be right now but it was a great day. Good to meet the legends and wee Eoghan Stokes patter was good. He says he'll be back in two weeks, which is good. Team spirit this year is off the charts compared to last year and long may it continue.

What is the story with hospitality at the moment? You can't just book a table yet, like in pre-Covid times?

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Jeez, 25 quid for the bus for Peterhead away seems steep. No wonder they are struggling to fill it!

Vicious circle.

Bus costs are higher. Firms are facing higher costs for fuel, sanitising buses etc. They pass those costs on to anybody hiring. Also lower number of bus travelling fans so costs are undoubtedly pushed up. Higher costs and continued worries about covid? Fewer fans want to be on a bus for hours.

I've done some away games this season. I drove to them. Didnt go to Falkirk and I'm not going Saturday. I'll get the bus in the future, but right now I'm more comfortable going to any away games by car. I suspect a few are in the same position and when streaming is still an option then a 4 hour trip each way to Peterhead or a £12 webcast then fans are going with the webcast.

Not an easy time to be running an away bus and I've every sympathy with Gillie trying to get numbers to go.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Vicious circle.

Bus costs are higher. Firms are facing higher costs for fuel, sanitising buses etc. They pass those costs on to anybody hiring. Also lower number of bus travelling fans so costs are undoubtedly pushed up. Higher costs and continued worries about covid? Fewer fans want to be on a bus for hours.

I've done some away games this season. I drove to them. Didnt go to Falkirk and I'm not going Saturday. I'll get the bus in the future, but right now I'm more comfortable going to any away games by car. I suspect a few are in the same position and when streaming is still an option then a 4 hour trip each way to Peterhead or a £12 webcast then fans are going with the webcast.

Not an easy time to be running an away bus and I've every sympathy with Gillie trying to get numbers to go.

Whilst I do appreciate costs are higher than they once were, 25 quid still seems quite steep.

One thing I’ve never understood is why the people who run the supporters bus don’t run a smaller bus or a mini bus. Surely a big fancy Marbill or Wilson’s of Rhu coach costs far more to run than a minibus? Especially just now when they are struggling to fill and seem gutted by the prospect of having to fork oot for the train. You get guys locally who do that sort of thing on the side and I can’t imagine it would cost as much as a coach, my mates have booked mini buses for gigs and airport runs etc and I always remeber it being peanuts.

3 hours ago, George Parr said:

What is the story with hospitality at the moment? You can't just book a table yet, like in pre-Covid times?

You can book a table normally I believe but because the away team are using the chivas suite they can only squeeze 5 tables into the board room. On Saturday there was the legends table and another table with some folk from the Trust there as guests, the board were at another so probably only 2 paying tables there available. The food was really good I thought though, new caterers will see us well if that's the standard of fare on offer. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Jeez, 25 quid for the bus for Peterhead away seems steep. No wonder they are struggling to fill it!

Might be worth checking if you'll get a view of the game and a bit of cover before booking anything as well, given our experience up there.