Sons' sorrow

My first time watching us under Faz tonight and I’m pleasantly surprised. We’re not doing anything too fancy, just keeping it simple and largely keeping it on the deck. Duffyball this is not.

Edit: sorry, my fault.

Edited by GordyBrow

10 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

My first time watching us under Faz tonight and I’m pleasantly surprised. We’re not doing anything too fancy, just keeping it simple and largely keeping it on the deck. Duffyball this is not.

Edit: sorry, my fault.

You definitely jinxed that!

Aye we've knocked the ball about nicely and created a couple of good openings. McKee's delivery (as expected) proving our main threat.

It was a dreadful time to lose a goal though, and left-back is seriously concerning me. I'm just not convinced Muir is ready for this level yet. Despite his encouraging debut.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

You definitely jinxed that!

Aye we've knocked the ball about nicely and created a couple of good openings. McKee's delivery (as expected) proving our main threat.

It was a dreadful time to lose a goal though, and left-back is seriously concerning me. I'm just not convinced Muir is ready for this level yet. Despite his encouraging debut.

I don’t mind Muir going forwards. If he could either sit in a bit more or, ideally, get back fast when he loses the ball, that’d be nice though. He’s leaving Buchanan more than a little exposed so far.

9 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Being suggested over on the infamous Facebook page that Faz might not make it to the start of the season 😂

This competition is basically a set of friendlies for us. To not realise that and to not take into account the Covid situation is wild.

I stand by what I said earlier this is an encouraging performance overall. The big question is still who will score the goals for us, but we have more than enough about us to create chances even against stronger opposition.

3 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I stand by what I said earlier this is an encouraging performance overall. The big question is still who will score the goals for us, but we have more than enough about us to create chances even against stronger opposition.

I applaud your positivity but I’m really struggling to find any positives in this performance and if Jim Duffy was the man overseeing this game I reckon the knives would be out. We’ve created absolutely nothing and we don’t look particularly solid at the back. The lack of cutting edge in the final third continues to be a massive issue, despite us having a new manager and a completely new squad. 

I don’t want to be too critical given we have a young guy at left back who looks miles out his depth and we have 4 guys playing who have spent the last 10 days isolating/infected with covid but I’m definitely struggling to find many positives other than the fact we aren’t really hoofing it up the park. There were actually a couple of times I’d rather we’d have hoofed it and ended up playing ourselves into trouble.

Two things are clear after tonight - we desperately need a striker (or two) and we desperately need a left back. 

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I applaud your positivity but I’m really struggling to find any positives in this performance and if Jim Duffy was the man overseeing this game I reckon the knives would be out. We’ve created absolutely nothing and we don’t look particularly solid at the back. The lack of cutting edge in the final third continues to be a massive issue, despite us having a new manager and a completely new squad. 

I don’t want to be too critical given we have a young guy at left back who looks miles out his depth and we have 4 guys playing who have spent the last 10 days isolating/infected with covid but I’m definitely struggling to find many positives other than the fact we aren’t really hoofing it up the park. There were actually a couple of times I’d rather we’d have hoofed it and ended up playing ourselves into trouble.

Two things are clear after tonight - we desperately need a striker (or two) and we desperately need a left back. 

There is no question the squad is unbalanced and it will be difficult to please everyone in the dressing room.I'm hoping for some loan signings in the positions you mention with some of our squad maybe being loaned out.A LB and Striker are vital if we are to mount any sort of challenge this year.This LC is cash for the club ( wasnt it 20 k last year?)but other than that it is thoroughly depressing as every year we are unready to compete with a new squad being assembled in a month.

Was impressed with the sons tonight compared to last season. Atleast you seem to want to play football this season,realise there isn't a cutting edge but imo it was night and day from last season under Duffy when your main tactic was sending the 2 big centre halfs up at every opportunity..all the best for the season ahead.

I thought we were probably the better team in the first half yesterday and I feel if we'd made some better decisions in the final third we could've scored, one that springs to mind is when McKee had a 2 on 1 situation and shot from about 25 yards when he could've slipped in the wide player. I'm encouraged with how we try and play but there was a number of times last night the midfielders would get the ball, look up and see no one in front of them and have to turn back. With Orsi tending to drop deep to get involved it can leave us penned in a bit. If we can keep Orsi (or another striker) higher up the field and get guys like McLean, Hopkirk and McKee up in support I think we'll be fine.

Full back was the biggest worry. Muir has ability on the ball but positionally he's all over the place and Thistle were waltzing past him for much of the game - the second goal was laughable tbh and highlights that Muir isn't ready. Lynch is okay but lacks any real acceleration which made it easy for wingers to drop a shoulder and drag him out the game. I am hoping Faz will play Pignatiello at right back once Geggan, Paton and Carswell are all available and we need to hope Paddy Boyle isn't finished. I'd be inclined to get Muir out on loan and bring in another left back. Good to hear Faz plans on bringing in another striker though.

There were definitely parts of our game I enjoyed last night. We passed the ball well, built from the back and played through the lines. That's a pretty drastic change on last year's 'bypass the midfield entirely and feed off second balls' style.

I thought McKee, although clearly lacking a bit of fitness, whipped in some wonderful deliveries and almost sent both Hopkirk and Duthie in on goal - with only some sharp Jamie Sneddon goalkeeping and the freshly watered pitch denying a one-on-one situation. 

Hoppy looked lively and popped up everywhere, Pignatiello was spraying some lovely passes about and Carsy put in a good first-half shift.

Now, the negatives. To repeat my earlier fears, I'm really not convinced Sam Muir is ready for this level yet. I don't think he's a bad player at all on the ball, but his positioning is a bit wild. He gets caught up the park a lot and gave Ross MacIver and Ciaran McKenna the freedom of Firhill on quite a few occasions. Paddy Boyle won't be back for the start of the season now according to Faz, so hopefully some time on the training pitch can help coach his positional game a wee bit.

The other is the lack of a goal threat. Obviously we had two shots cleared off the line, and obviously we were playing against a good side from the League above. But when you have 55 percent possession you really should be creating a few more serious chances from open play.

I like Orsi based on what I've seen. He was also just back from Covid and battling a stomach bug tonight (was on the bog for the whole of half-time according to Faz!) But he needs someone who is a bit more of a natural goalscorer up there with him. 

FWIW I think we have some very good creative players and I think we'll create chances in League One. It's just taking them that worries me.

Faz said he's going to add one more to the squad, and that'll be a striker. So fingers crossed he's got some sort of Chris Kane-esque Premier League loanee kicking about.

As an aside as well, Faz mentioned that we asked the referee before the game for a water break..my car was showing 27 degrees when I arrived and I was roasting up the back of the shady stand. The referee refused the request and Carsy went off at HT feeling dizzy and sick. Seems a bizarre thing to turn down. I don't think either set of players would've grumbled about getting two minutes for a breather and some hydration.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Is this someone just letting off steam or are they claiming to have insider knowledge ?

Not someone, the knickerwetter-in-chief spouting shite as usual. 

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I haven't been on there in a while, I'll need to pop over to catch up now.

Post was 

Sooner this is over the better, manager might not survive our league start at this rate *angry smiley*

After being described as a "hauf wit" by @sarti pooh he edited it down to

Sooner this is over the better *angry smiley*

It's not there any more as after getting hounded by a few more people, he's deleted it (or @optimistic deleted it to save his riddy)

He had the cheek to snap back at Sarti, slagging him for not being able to spell half-wit, but unsurprisingly for a hawf wit (which is being generous) he got put in his box pretty sharpish.

It's not there any more as after getting hounded by a few more people, he's deleted it (or [mention=21014]optimistic[/mention] deleted it to save his riddy)
He had the cheek to snap back at Sarti, slagging him for not being able to spell half-wit, but unsurprisingly for a hawf wit (which is being generous) he got put in his box pretty sharpish.

Must have riddied himself, [emoji85][emoji85]

6 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There were definitely parts of our game I enjoyed last night. We passed the ball well, built from the back and played through the lines. That's a pretty drastic change on last year's 'bypass the midfield entirely and feed off second balls' style.

I thought McKee, although clearly lacking a bit of fitness, whipped in some wonderful deliveries and almost sent both Hopkirk and Duthie in on goal - with only some sharp Jamie Sneddon goalkeeping and the freshly watered pitch denying a one-on-one situation. 

Hoppy looked lively and popped up everywhere, Pignatiello was spraying some lovely passes about and Carsy put in a good first-half shift.

Now, the negatives. To repeat my earlier fears, I'm really not convinced Sam Muir is ready for this level yet. I don't think he's a bad player at all on the ball, but his positioning is a bit wild. He gets caught up the park a lot and gave Ross MacIver and Ciaran McKenna the freedom of Firhill on quite a few occasions. Paddy Boyle won't be back for the start of the season now according to Faz, so hopefully some time on the training pitch can help coach his positional game a wee bit.

The other is the lack of a goal threat. Obviously we had two shots cleared off the line, and obviously we were playing against a good side from the League above. But when you have 55 percent possession you really should be creating a few more serious chances from open play.

I like Orsi based on what I've seen. He was also just back from Covid and battling a stomach bug tonight (was on the bog for the whole of half-time according to Faz!) But he needs someone who is a bit more of a natural goalscorer up there with him. 

FWIW I think we have some very good creative players and I think we'll create chances in League One. It's just taking them that worries me.

Faz said he's going to add one more to the squad, and that'll be a striker. So fingers crossed he's got some sort of Chris Kane-esque Premier League loanee kicking about.

As an aside as well, Faz mentioned that we asked the referee before the game for a water break..my car was showing 27 degrees when I arrived and I was roasting up the back of the shady stand. The referee refused the request and Carsy went off at HT feeling dizzy and sick. Seems a bizarre thing to turn down. I don't think either set of players would've grumbled about getting two minutes for a breather and some hydration.

I've no idea what the temperature was at Stair Park on Saturday but the referee certainly allowed a water break in both the first and second half. As you say, it would seem odd for either team to be against it.

3 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

I've no idea what the temperature was at Stair Park on Saturday but the referee certainly allowed a water break in both the first and second half. As you say, it would seem odd for either team to be against it.

It was the same with ourselves at East End Park. And I'm convinced it was hotter last night. My car had shown 27 degrees on the way to the game.

I'm not really sure if it's just a case of a referee wanting to stamp down his authority, or if he genuinely didn't think it was necessary. But it seemed a bit of an odd one. You'd think him and his assistants might've wanted one too!

3 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

Wonder what he would’ve done if both teams just took advantage of a stoppage in play and stopped for couple of mins. Couldn’t book everyone could he?

He sounds like a bell end tbh given the temps.