Sons' sorrow

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes.............. if you move your stadium to England.

If you plan on leaving it where it is then no, not currently. You can have up to 2,000 supporters in Scotland but 1m social distancing is still required inside a Scottish football ground till at least August 9th. Which will clearly limit Dumbarton's capacity to something like one quarter of the stand capacity whatever that is (500ish?). Mask wearing is still theoretically required. Whether anyone will actively enforce it is another question but probably depends how zealous your safety officer is. I expect socially distanced entry times will remain till August 9th too. 

500 would be just about every home fan I'd imagine. I'm not going to rant about these existing restrictions but all they are doing is hurting clubs now, 500-800 folk at a Dumbarton-Airdrie game is not going cause an outbreak that overwhelms anything other than this message board. If these aren't gone on August 9th (or before) then we've lost the fucking plot and these emergency powers which were handed to the government last year should be revoked immediately. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Mark Lamont. 

Has Faz lost his fucking marbles?

We ran out of current midfielders to sign, so instead have signed a retired one.

I'm guessing he's the player Faz spoke about who was on honeymoon the other week. We have plenty of guys now capable of putting decent balls into the box. And one natural striker - who some Morton fans reckoned was better as a winger.

I wonder if we could see Hoppy being used more as a striker now? I thought he was excellent in the first-half against Stenhousemuir and wouldn't be averse to pairing him up with Orsi.

2 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Is he not at Alloa?

Different Mark Lamont. We've signed the one we had before, who hasn't played football in 2 years. If he's the guy Faz said was on holiday too then it shows he wasn't even looking to get back into football given he'd fucked off abroad right when he would be training. 

Duthie, McLean, Syvertsen, Hopkirk and Orsi are all capable/better suited to playing on the wing. We have no player on the books known for playing up front. I honestly can't get my head around this signing at all.

I’m not impressed with that signing in the slightest. He hasn’t kicked a ball since 2019 and the last thing we need is another midfielder.

Faz seems to have changed his approach as summer has progressed. He appears to be just chucking deals at anyone now and the more deals he chucks around the less chance we have of bringing in the 1 or 2 quality additions (preferably strikers) that the squad desperately requires. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Am I right in saying Faz released him from Stranraer when they were in this division?

It's baffling on just about every level and I'm not sure why we're making baffling signings when it's clear what the squad needs. 

He left at the end of 2018-19 and moved down south with work I think? I'm sure I remember updating the transfer thread at the time with it.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

He left at the end of 2018-19 and moved down south with work I think? I'm sure I remember updating the transfer thread at the time with it.

Makes a bit more sense if that's why he's left football but his time out, his lack of preseason and the fact he plays a position we're well covered in keeps this in "baffling" category. 

From your chats with Faz, do you think he feels we still need another striker? I'll be honest, I don't think Syvertsen or Hopkirk are the answer as a 9 and I'm a bit worried if Orsi gets injured. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Makes a bit more sense if that's why he's left football but his time out, his lack of preseason and the fact he plays a position we're well covered in keeps this in "baffling" category. 

From your chats with Faz, do you think he feels we still need another striker? I'll be honest, I don't think Syvertsen or Hopkirk are the answer as a 9 and I'm a bit worried if Orsi gets injured. 

I didn't expect us to sign anyone today, so he can be quite good at not giving stuff away!

He considers Orsi and Syvertsen as out and out strikers. I know that for sure though. Orsi, imo, has a lot of similar qualities to Calum Gallagher - so if he could adopt SeaGal's qualities of being able to sclaff the ball in from four yards 14 times a season then that would be most welcome. 

Syvertsen is clearly a seriously talented player. But you saw on Saturday that he'll drop deep or run the channels. He's not an out and out #9 (not yet at least). 

I suspect we'll play a 4-2-31 (or variation on it), so maybe the hope is that Orsi can chip in with goals - but so too can the guys around him; be that Duthie. Maclean, McKee, Syvertsen, Stokes, Lamont, Hopkirk or whoever. There are a good range of options.

Based on Saturday's showing, and with McKee still to return, I'm not horrendously concerned about us going forwards just yet. Especially compared with last season. Although a natural striker would be most welcome. My main worry for now is left-back. Paddy has missed all of pre-season, is 34 and was in the Lowland League last year. And Sam Muir, the poor kid, looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights at EEP. We have literally nobody able to cover there as far as I can see.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

50 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I suspect we'll play a 4-2-31 (or variation on it), so maybe the hope is that Orsi can chip in with goals - but so too can the guys around him; be that Duthie. Maclean, McKee, Syvertsen, Stokes, Lamont, Hopkirk or whoever. There are a good range of options.

4-2-31 will give us a fighting chance of a score draw in each game, tbh.