Sons' sorrow

7 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

How many fans are we letting into the rangers colts games?  Some rangers fans think they will be getting 2000.

Not a chance 

"We" won't be letting anyone in. Rangers are renting the ground and I assume will be responsible for ticketing/stewarding.

In any case, if any Rangers fan thinks anywhere near 2,000 are turning up for a fucking colts game then they need their head checked. 

18 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20210714-125558_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210714-125615_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bill Heaney seems very happy to accept Mr Sweeney's version of events given the allegations in the article which are made against Mr Hosie. I am sure that Bill knows the defamation laws so he must be very sure of his position

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's easier to for dodgy people to do dodgy things with football clubs. There's little regulation to protect clubs specifically as important community assets and by the time the dodgy character has done their dodgy deeds then it's too late for the football authorities to start talking about fit and proper people. We really need better protection for football clubs in the UK.

I'm happy to be contradicted on any of this, but it is my understanding that the SFA is generally content to accept the recommendation/approval  of the clubs themselves; in other words the clubs can effectively be marking their own homework.  That may be OK in most cases but the presence of Andy Hosie in Dumbarton's affairs is far from perfect, such is his business track record.  Unfortunately it appears that the same Mr Hosie has apparently been the main source of funding for the club until recently which probably explains why the club Board has kept very quiet, presumably hoping it all goes away.  That may now no longer be a realistic option, never mind any failure of management.

As for Heaney, for an experienced journalist he has broken one of the golden rules - HE has become as much the story as the shitstirring article he wrote.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's easier to for dodgy people to do dodgy things with football clubs. There's little regulation to protect clubs specifically as important community assets and by the time the dodgy character has done their dodgy deeds then it's too late for the football authorities to start talking about fit and proper people. We really need better protection for football clubs in the UK.

It’s happened to a serious amount of British clubs in recent times. Off the top of my head: Bolton, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Livingston, Darlington, Bury, Boston, Stockport, Rangers.

Edited by FifeSons

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

"We" won't be letting anyone in. Rangers are renting the ground and I assume will be responsible for ticketing/stewarding.

In any case, if any Rangers fan thinks anywhere near 2,000 are turning up for a fucking colts game then they need their head checked. 

Lucky if 10% of 2000 show up

Bill Heaney seems very happy to accept Mr Sweeney's version of events given the allegations in the article which are made against Mr Hosie. I am sure that Bill knows the defamation laws so he must be very sure of his position
Hopefully, he is becoming sloppy (sloppier [emoji848]) in his old age, doesn't think his blog needs to be as accurate as a newspaper article, and someone sues him.

Or perhaps that's what you are suggesting/hoping too?!

1 hour ago, mike rankine said:

Hopefully, he is becoming sloppy (sloppier emoji848.png) in his old age, doesn't think his blog needs to be as accurate as a newspaper article, and someone sues him.

Or perhaps that's what you are suggesting/hoping too?!

The article states that Hosie stole £2,000,000. That is a serious allegation and I am surprised that Bill Heaney is simply prepared to accept someone's word on that before publishing. Unless he knows more of course. I would also be surprised if he thought that he didn't have to be so careful because it is not a print newspaper or if he didn't realise the significance of such an allegation.

Sweeney's suggestion that Hosie "stole" money. It sounds like an annoyed investor venting his frustration about the Bet Butler collapse. Probably just ill chosen words. Sweeney isn't going to admit that Hosie conned him out of £2million by selling him a worthless investment opportunity. Nobody wants to admit that they were duped for that amount of money. Something Heaney should be careful about though. 

A few things that stood out for me last night… I thought the two young guys done well, both looked confident on the ball, neither of them hiding. Wilson had a couple of wild efforts but I don’t mind him having the baws to have a dig from range. I thought in general we looked far better going forward than what we’ve been used to in the last few years and it was refreshing to watch a Dumbarton team try to play actual football. Duthie was once again involved in everything and I have high hopes for him this season.

I do think we look a bit unfit though, I appreciate we were missing a fair whack of players, including arguably 4 starters, but we tired badly from about the 50th minute. Hopefully that’s just a one off given the situation. Geggan in particular looked a couple of yards off the pace from the start.

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A few things that stood out for me last night… I thought the two young guys done well, both looked confident on the ball, neither of them hiding. Wilson had a couple of wild efforts but I don’t mind him having the baws to have a dig from range. I thought in general we looked far better going forward than what we’ve been used to in the last few years and it was refreshing to watch a Dumbarton team try to play actual football. Duthie was once again involved in everything and I have high hopes for him this season.

I do think we look a bit unfit though, I appreciate we were missing a fair whack of players, including arguably 4 starters, but we tired badly from about the 50th minute. Hopefully that’s just a one off given the situation. Geggan in particular looked a couple of yards off the pace from the start.

I got the feeling from speaking to Faz at the end that Geggan was only playing because of our lack of bodies. He mentioned that he wasn't 100 percent fit, but that he wanted to play. I think Maclean would've came off after his knock too if things had been a bit more normal. Hopkirk and Stokes both tired too - but they've been in isolation for 10 days, so won't have trained much recently. 

In better news, the Covid four will be out of isolation on Friday and apparently they are all fine. Felt it a wee bit at first, but seem to be on the road to recovery. Obviously going from a week in the house to the pitch at East End Park is a big ask - but it should lift a wee bit of the pressure from last night.

Totally agree on the young guys. Inexperience caught out Muir for the winner, but on the whole I was delighted with his performance. He looked confident on the ball and a threat going forward. I saw flashes of Daniel Harvie with the way he took on players before whipping balls in. He hadn't met any of his teammates until last night - so fair play to him. That can't be easy for anyone, let alone an 19-year-old making his SPFL debut.

At half-time Chris said to me that wee Callum Wilson was playing like Iniesta! He was absolutely superb. His passing was excellent, the way he took players on was good to see and he looks incredibly useful at picking up possession, quickly wheeling away from his man and finding a pass. He looked done in after about 70 minutes and started making mistakes, but considering he didn't kick a ball for the whole of last season I'm guessing that will have been his first 90 minutes since playing for Hibernian U16s around March 2020 time. Which is mad.

I think we might get a bit of a pasting at EEP on Saturday to be brutally honest. But heading into the league season I'm still upbeat. Last night was a good game to watch. It was nice to see two teams who wanted to win it after a season of Duffyball.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I was quite pleasantly surprised by Muir, I wasn't expecting much from him but he looked comfortable on the ball, got forward and delivered 2 or 3 great crosses. He lost Thommo at the goal but at 19 years old there looks to be plenty to work with there. Wilson looked good in the first half then fell out of the game, he made a poor mistake right before being subbed by dithering on the ball but again, plenty to work with. He's not scared to play a difficult ball, which may help and hinder us over the season but I'm fine with that. 

I'm not too concerned about fitness right now - we're still in preseason, it was a warm, clammy night last night and we barely had a squad together. I do agree that Geggan looks a tad sluggish though. I was a wee bit concerned with Stokes last night too, his delivery was largely terrible from set pieces and he seemed to want an age on the ball any time he got it. He's been up here for a year now and still doesn't appear to have gotten to grips with the pace of the game which concerns me a little. He did play a lovely pass out to Hopkirk in the second half which probably should have ended in a goal, so hopefully he can show a bit more going forward. 

I thought Carswell looked back to his old self in the friendlies but last night he was largely poor, allowed Michael Moore to wind him up and resorted to booting folk before being led down the tunnel in a rage. Moore is clearly a walloper and he has no right to brand anyone else "fucking hopeless" given his half arsed performances in a Sons shirt but Carsy as captain needs to hold his shit together. Any word on Boyle and Paton? Could really do without those two guys missing much more training, and maybe if Paton is sitting waiting to get his chance it would focus the mind of Carswell. 

Edited by The Moonster

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Try this....it's a Word doc in Open Document Text format.  If it doesn't open try saving it as another format. 

DFC Ownership Statement July 21.odt 85.99 kB · 9 downloads

Dear Sons Fan,

In common with several other recipients, the Sons Supporters Trust was recently emailed by a private individual resident in Spain.  The content of the communication made reference to historic financial agreements involving named individuals, which are being suggested may have important and meaningful locus to the recent purchase of the majority shareholding in Dumbarton Football Club by Cognitive Capital Limited.

Furthermore, we note that a very reactive and in places debatable interpretation of the content of this email was recently posted on a locally-edited website run by a local journalist. For the record, the Trust will not be responding directly to the article until we have further clarity from the Club and/or owners. We will of course keep our membership and the wider support base informed of any developments as and when possible. 
We would however also intimate the following.  Any claimed activity, historic or current, financial or personal, which risks infringing the good reputation or financial probity of Dumbarton Football Club must be investigated thoroughly and if necessary dealt with through due process. 
As such, we would expect the DFC Board of Directors now to examine rigorously the claims of this individual to ascertain if they have any substance and foundation in truth, and if so to act accordingly. Only in that way can the football club and everyone involved with it move forward with confidence. The Sons Supporters Trust stands ready to assist in any way that we can to assist that process.

Best wishes,
Sons Supporters Trust Board

40 minutes ago, Third Son from the Rock said:

Is Heaney on his third or fourth draft of yon story? (or should that be no-story)?

He's been willing Dumbarton FC out of business for decades.

Well done Concerned Fan on calling Heaney out and not letting him off the hook until he reasons out why this will put DFC out of business.