Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Carlo only played once for us last season, at right back. Stranraer fans said that’s where he played for them as well and were pretty complimentary about him.

It appears we’re deploying him in central midfield whilst playing a backup centre back at right back. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

If you move the cursor off the screen does it not disappear? Certainly does for me.
No there's something funny about it. It used to work fine but I was having the issue when selecting a different resolution quality other than 'auto'. Unable to get rid of the overlay and start recording button.

Bit of a disjointed performance tbh, to be expected with so many trialists I suppose. Good game for fitness but a lot of mistakes. I have no real idea how any of the trialists may fare in League 1, will need to trust the judgement of the management team there but I'm hoping there may be a couple more loans coming in to give some quality to the side, someone to challenge out wide and a striker are now a must for us, we're pretty set everywhere else. 

Also, I watched something incredible from us today. We took kick off, played it back to the defence and tried to build an attack through short passes. No gang of players charging forward from the half way line, hoofing the ball long and out for an opposition throw in within 3 seconds of the game kicking off. I nearly cried tears of joy. 

Bit of a disjointed performance tbh, to be expected with so many trialists I suppose. Good game for fitness but a lot of mistakes. I have no real idea how any of the trialists may fare in League 1, will need to trust the judgement of the management team there but I'm hoping there may be a couple more loans coming in to give some quality to the side, someone to challenge out wide and a striker are now a must for us, we're pretty set everywhere else. 
Also, I watched something incredible from us today. We took kick off, played it back to the defence and tried to build an attack through short passes. No gang of players charging forward from the half way line, hoofing the ball long and out for an opposition throw in within 3 seconds of the game kicking off. I nearly cried tears of joy. 
That tactic absolutely infuriates me. It's extremely rare we ever win anything from doing that.

Although I've noticed alot of bigger teams also do this in the EPL etc. Must be some reason for it but no idea what. I much prefer just keeping possession at kickoff.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To use what is now an old-fashioned football term, the trio of Ronnie Curran, Bobby Johnstone and Hughie Harra remains the hardest half-back line I've ever seen in a Dumbarton team.  Those of us of a certain age have many fond memories of these times.

Thank you for sharing! X

6 hours ago, cremola foam said:

No photos I am afraid but saw them play him play as a boy.

Sorry for your loss and thanks for stirring happy memories.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To use what is now an old-fashioned football term, the trio of Ronnie Curran, Bobby Johnstone and Hughie Harra remains the hardest half-back line I've ever seen in a Dumbarton team.  Those of us of a certain age have many fond memories of these times.

2 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

Good run out for us today.

Some bizarre refereeing from our old favourite Calum Scott.Keeper comes out and wipes out McPherson and he gives a drop ball to Dumbarton.

Good luck for the season ahead.

Agreed on a good run out and with the ref. Felt he was too quick to blow. 

We def need some reinforcements upfront as we are a bit light.

2 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Agreed on a good run out and with the ref. Felt he was too quick to blow. 

We def need some reinforcements upfront as we are a bit light.

I'm not going to panic as the league cup games are pretty much friendlies. We've got 27 days to find a striker 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It was typical pre-season fare for the most part but things at least livened up in the second half.  This was my first sighting and the guy who impressed me most was substitute Calum Wilson who had a wee look of the Billy Gilmours about him - what's the story there ?  Elsewhere the Carlo fella was solid enough, as was Lynch who looks the son Stevie Gow never knew he had.  Duthie, McLean and Orsi were quiet and we definitely need a centre forward presence.

The Bankies were well organised and industrious and had the shot which clattered the post gone in it may have been a different story.  I have total respect for that club and wish them every success this season - I'd love this fixture back on a competitive basis 

17 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I'm not going to panic as the league cup games are pretty much friendlies. We've got 27 days to find a striker 

Agreed no panic needed. I assume we are waiting on either someone not getting a FT deal so dropping down or a loan from a bigger team.

it’s great to see we seem to have a solid spine in Ramsbottom, McGeaver, Buchanan, McKee, geggan and carswell

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It was typical pre-season fare for the most part but things at least livened up in the second half.  This was my first sighting and the guy who impressed me most was substitute Calum Wilson who had a wee look of the Billy Gilmours about him - what's the story there ?  Elsewhere the Carlo fella was solid enough, as was Lynch who looks the son Stevie Gow never knew he had.  Duthie, McLean and Orsi were quiet and we definitely need a centre forward presence.

The Bankies were well organised and industrious and had the shot which clattered the post gone in it may have been a different story.  I have total respect for that club and wish them every success this season - I'd love this fixture back on a competitive basis 

Was Wilson number 16? 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Any reason we keep listing Erskine as a trialist despite him being signed? Or do we actually have a trialist keeper in today? 

Pignatiello seems a solid enough addition but we have plenty of midfielders, Lynch and Geggan can play right back too so unless he's signed him to start at right back I'm struggling with where he fits in. Hopefully he starts today and we get a better idea of where Faz sees him playing. Not sure squad players are really what we need now though, we need some strikers as Orsi is the only one who can play as a number 9. 

Don't think his contract with stenny has expired yet

Good workout for us today, thought we competed well but tired late on. Really liked the look of your 16(Wilson?) very good on the ball. You look a striker short although I understand you had a few players missing. 

Tough league with the money going around at some cluns but all the best for when it kicks off proper.

21 hours ago, Zoelisaharra said:

Hugh Harra 

Hi All, 

so glad to have come across this forum. My grandfather, Hugh Harra sadly passed away a few years ago which a lot of you will know. He followed the club until the end and it was a very special time in his life.  It would be great if any of you have memories or pictures to share.  Many thanks, Zoelisa Harra

It makes me feel very old indeed to see something posted here by a granddaughter of Hugh Harra.  He is an abiding memory from my youth watching the Sons at Boghead. Opposing players always had a tough time playing against him.