Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Yes,  Good young striker who can find the net,   he resigned for killie last week..

Feel like hes more likely to find himself at this level next season than Hamilton. Killie will sign another striker and you'd imagine Innes Cameron is ahead of Connell just now.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Exactly! As we know a centre forward who knows where the net is and can get you 20+ goals a season is a rarity and deserves going the extra mile for. Goals win games. Such a difficult position to fill as a permanent signing or  a loanee.

I'm massively thankful we have Mitch, who is outstanding, but we are in need of another capable striker. Rory, at 34, can be effective at times but is nearing the end. We don't have any other registered strikers.

Mitch was brilliant for us and is a must have for Cove.As you say RM is near the end but my what a goalscorer.One of a dying breed.

11 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Mitch was brilliant for us and is a must have for Cove.As you say RM is near the end but my what a goalscorer.One of a dying breed.

He talks fondly of his time at the Rock that's for sure. Dumbarton boys welcomed him with open arms and eased his transition of moving away from Aberdeen at a young age.

Ian Murray put a lot of faith in and he played nearly ever game

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Stefan McCluskey signs for Forfar.

what like a player is he?

can’t say I’ve seen a lot of him to be honest, I just know he’s been about a lot.

Stef is one of the hardest working players I've ever seen play for us. He struggled with a knee (I think it was) injury in his first season, then dislocated his shoulder in the first game back last season. Returned for the infamous Sam Ramsbottom game with you guys; looked lively off the bench, then immediately left the club because he had to go in for surgery on his gammy shoulder.

He really, really struggled to have any sort of impact in the final third when he did play. A quick glance at my spreadsheets show that, in 35 appearances, he managed zero goals and four assists.

Good luck to him. As I said he always put in a shift, he's a good guy off the park and he could never be accused of hiding. But his Sons spell didn't turn out the way he would've hoped.

In all honesty I thought Stef was hopeless for us and his signing is something I often use an example when trying to explain to people how shite times were under Jim Duffy.  He does give 100% and he seems like a decent guy, I hope things work out for him at Forfar.

What happened to his stint in the States?

D90D5E42-5708-4B86-994E-6C893655BAE1.jpeg.09524fc9803a626b70eb12ff04a76e22.jpeg

1 hour ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Stefan McCluskey signs for Forfar.

what like a player is he?

can’t say I’ve seen a lot of him to be honest, I just know he’s been about a lot.

Stef tends to be used as a winger because he'll run all day. He isnt and his final ball into the box isnt great. He's the kind of player you play centrally and ask to chase long balls or to play off a target man. Get him running at centre halves and he'll win you some freekicks. He has a decent enough shot if he's playing centrally and encouraged to use it. 

The partnership with Renton Craigandro is exciting news. They have a superb setup at Tontine. 300 kids getting introduced to Dumbarton Football Club can only be a good thing. If even a third of them buy a strip or attend regularly then it's a win.

17 minutes ago, the snudge said:

The partnership with Renton Craigandro is exciting news. They have a superb setup at Tontine. 300 kids getting introduced to Dumbarton Football Club can only be a good thing. If even a third of them buy a strip or attend regularly then it's a win.

I’m hoping we can sign the next Billy Gilmour from them. They always had the best local youngsters playing for them when I was playing youth football, not sure if that’s still the case but either way it’s great to see us linking up with Renton and DU.

9 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Anyone read the statement on the sonstrust, regarding new owners lack of contact?

Yup. 

With each passing day it looks like these new characters are basically just another Brabco. The silence is absolutely deafening. They have clearly had absolutely hee haw to do with the recent appointment of the management team and/or the subsequent signings. 

I’m starting to think this Henning character is a bit of a Walter Mitty and his international footballing contacts are about as extensive as mine. 

16 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m hoping we can sign the next Billy Gilmour from them. They always had the best local youngsters playing for them when I was playing youth football, not sure if that’s still the case but either way it’s great to see us linking up with Renton and DU.

Cancel the season. BILLY GILMOUR IS OUT

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I also see that Matthew Atkinson who is involved with COG Capital, More Homes DFC, Cognitive Capital and Four Architects has been appointed a director of Brabco 736.

C5FB5B6A-876B-4B0D-99AC-B9F1D560EAAF.jpeg.f35d9d14f627f1c40ee3521c71987a2d.jpeg

And let's not forget Gareth Paul Philips of Pendragon who now seems to have security on the stadium.  If you were cynical you might conclude that the current ownership is engaged in a fairly labrynthine series of financial arrangements suggesting that A) there is no substantial funding evident in the new set-up, and B) there is an attempt at hindering transparency. 

I also think that until someone in authority at DFC advises otherwise we should maybe consider the word 'transfer' as opposed to 'takeover'.  

I don't think that Brabco still existing is an indication of anything nefarious. If they new owners have bought Brabco then they've taken over the vehicle that owns the club. It's exactly the same effect as Brabco selling it's Dumbarton shares and then disposing of the proceeds to the former Brabco investors. Theres likely a benefit to Stainton and Wilson in them selling their Brabco shares as opposed to Brabco selling it's Dumbarton shares.

The bigger thing for me is getting some proper transparency and a proper line of communication with the new owners. There needs to be a proper, constructive relationship between the owners, club board and fans or we'll eventually see the same problems that we had with Stainton and Wilson.

On 19/06/2021 at 07:14, lorenzo71 said:

In our on-going search for strikers how would Jack Hamilton or Salim-kouder-aissa  fit in?Both have been loaned to PT clubs in the last season  and I'm not sure if they are in the first team plans at Livi(?).

Would be worth a wee loan deal but i would imagine they are in demand.

Hamilton is set to move into our first team squad, even if it was another loan he'd be going to a top 6 Championship team. 

SKA, I have no idea. Was talk of us just releasing him as he's not good enough for Premiership football 

20 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Hamilton is set to move into our first team squad, even if it was another loan he'd be going to a top 6 Championship team. 

SKA, I have no idea. Was talk of us just releasing him as he's not good enough for Premiership football 

I think he has shown that he deserves that.Great player.

Would offer SKA a deal even if its a very long shot.