Sons' sorrow

No easy games when you look at this fixture list. A very competitive L1 awaits
I was just about to post the same thing. Looked at the fixtures and thought, "that's not an easy start" kept going and realised it didn't get any better.

It's going to be a tough league this year and I'm definitely glad we appear to have a stronger squad this season.

5 minutes ago, super-son said:

I was just about to post the same thing. Looked at the fixtures and thought, "that's not an easy start" kept going and realised it didn't get any better.

It's going to be a tough league this year and I'm definitely glad we appear to have a stronger squad this season.

There are a lot of team who I would consider a similar size with (I'd imagine) similar budgets this year. Take out Falkirk (even though they'll potentially be a shambles once again), Cove with their big money and Queen's Park and you're left with Airdrie, Alloa, Clyde, ourselves, East Fife, Montrose and Peterhead. All clubs with similar fanbases, recent histories and not dissimilar budgets. 

Obviously Cove have plenty of cash and were a good team last season. But they aren't like 2012/13 Queen of the South. You'd expect Falkirk to be a lot stronger than last season - but equally they could easily have a disaster of a season. And Queen's Park? Well they've got a decent squad and plenty of money. But equally it's not a squad that blows you away - and they have a rookie gaffer.

Airdrie have the full-time element too I suppose, but at this moment in time they don't look stronger than last season.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't think there will be much at all between the teams in 4th and 5th and those in 9th 10th. But for the first time in a wee while I'm genuinely optimistic about what we can do.

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There are a lot of team who I would consider a similar size with (I'd imagine) similar budgets this year. Take out Falkirk (even though they'll potentially be a shambles once again), Cove with their big money and Queen's Park and you're left with Airdrie, Alloa, Clyde, ourselves, East Fife, Montrose and Peterhead. All clubs with similar fanbases, recent histories and not dissimilar budgets. 

Obviously Cove have plenty of cash and were a good team last season. But they aren't like 2012/13 Queen of the South. You'd expect Falkirk to be a lot stronger than last season - but equally they could easily have a disaster of a season. And Queen's Park? Well they've got a decent squad and plenty of money. But equally it's not a squad that blows you away - and they have a rookie gaffer.

Airdrie have the full-time element too I suppose, but at this moment in time they don't look stronger than last season.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't think there will be much at all between the teams in 4th and 5th and those in 9th 10th. But for the first time in a wee while I'm genuinely optimistic about what we can do.

Go along with most of that but I think Sheerin will be a hit at Falkirk.He was fantastic at Arbroath in 2012 and im surprised he didnt get another gig.

For us I really want to see some strong goalscorers coming in.It was our problem last year and i dont want a repeat.I will feel more confident when we have strikers i 'm excited about.

Edited by lorenzo71

45 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Alloa will also have plenty of money from the £500k and bigger prize money.

I definitely take your point though that I’m hopeful we can avoid a relegation battle this season.

Just having a look at our squad list and trying to fill out a starting 11.
Where is McKee likely to play? On the wing?
Definitely not on the wing. He is a Centre Mid. He doesn't do much tackling so he will be played just ahead of the defensive mid/s. Definitely central.

23 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Just having a look at our squad list and trying to fill out a starting 11.

Where is McKee likely to play? On the wing?

Centre mid next to Carswell and Paton, or playing next to one of those in a 4 man midfield. Geggan looks like he'll be used at right back mainly given Lynch is the only other player we have who can play there. I imagine MacLean and Orsi will start as the wingers. 

I imagine our first team will look something like this:

Sam Ramsbottom

Andy Geggan Ryan McGeever Gregor Buchanan Paddy Boyle

Paul Paton Stuart Carswell

Ross MacLean Joe McKee Eoghan Stokes

Kalvin Orsi

That gives us a bench of Erskine (GK), Lynch, Duthie and Hopkirk.

I was doing a wee bit of faffing with our squad yesterday to work out where we needed more depth: Faz has spoke about wanting a squad of about 19. I'd like to see the four new additions include a left-sided defender (I'm not 100 sold on Paddy Boyle as our first choice LB fwiw), a left-sided attacking player and two natural strikers.

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I imagine our first team will look something like this:

Sam Ramsbottom

Andy Geggan Ryan McGeever Gregor Buchanan Paddy Boyle

Paul Paton Stuart Carswell

Ross MacLean Joe McKee Eoghan Stokes

Kalvin Orsi

That gives us a bench of Erskine (GK), Lynch, Duthie and Hopkirk.

I was doing a wee bit of faffing with our squad yesterday to work out where we needed more depth: Faz has spoke about wanting a squad of about 19. I'd like to see the four new additions include a left-sided defender (I'm not 100 sold on Paddy Boyle as our first choice LB fwiw), a left-sided attacking player and two natural strikers.

I thought Orsi was a winger? Seem to remember him playing wide for Brechin against us. Not convinced playing Stokes out there myself, seems to prefer playing centrally and I think he'll be the back up for when McKee inevitably gets injured. Shows we've got a wee bit of versatility already though. A couple of out and out strikers are required for me.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I thought Orsi was a winger? Seem to remember him playing wide for Brechin against us. Not convinced playing Stokes out there myself, seems to prefer playing centrally and I think he'll be the back up for when McKee inevitably gets injured. Shows we've got a wee bit of versatility already though. A couple of out and out strikers are required for me.

Orsi was a winger at Brechin, but I think Morton tried to turn him into a hardworking handful of a centre-forward during his time there. One of their fans who frequent this thread will be able to confirm that though. I reckon that's the role he'll play for us too.

I wasn't sure who to stick there between Hopkirk and Stokes, but plumped for Stokes. From his highlights reel on YouTube he looks comfortable taking players on from wide positions and seems to be decent with both feet. So he seemed the more natural option. It shows that the left-side is somewhere that needs strengthened though. 

18 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Orsi was a winger at Brechin, but I think Morton tried to turn him into a hardworking handful of a centre-forward during his time there.

Hardworking but not intelligent enough in that position to be a handful. In his defence he was constantly isolated upfront. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Was just about to post that, if you play Orsi at right-mid, you'll get a hard-running, honest player who should do just fine in L1; if you persist with him as a striker, you'll probably all hate him by Christmas.

As for the others -- and knowing how much Sons fans appreciate measured and reasonable input from the Ton -- Buchanan should stroll it, McKee will do ok in a midfield three (with other people doing the grafting and tackling), McLean will likely be massively frustrating (but occasionally do something to make you think there's a player in there).

No comment on Ramsbottom, because you know exactly what you're getting by now (and I'm still mentally scarred from watching him play for us ahead of -- an admittedly out of form -- Danny Rodgers...).

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Anyone got any idea if Season Tickets are selling well?

Here's hoping this pre-season causes a mini-boom in uptake.

Got mine and also one for my daughter. She normally only attends a couple of times a year but even then the U16 freebie is a great idea.