Sons' sorrow

23 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

The Norwegians should go all out and pay Elgin £100k for Hester.

Kane Hester is a player I've seen quite a few times at Elgin and one I've wanted to see at Balmoral alongside Mitch. Pace and natural finisher.

I hoped we'd move for him when there was talk we were getting a new striker but we got Rory instead 😯

Think he extended his contract until 2023 so you're right would need some ££ to buy. Surprised he's not playing higher. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Kane Hester is a player I've seen quite a few times at Elgin and one I've wanted to see at Balmoral alongside Mitch. Pace and natural finisher.

I hoped we'd move for him when there was talk we were getting a new striker but we got Rory instead 😯

Think he extended his contract until 2023 so you're right would need some ££ to buy. Surprised he's not playing higher. 

Yep, you’re correct. The contract was extended to make sure they got ££ for him. Hull were interested in January, so I doubt either of us will be in with a chance of getting him.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Yep, you’re correct. The contract was extended to make sure they got ££ for him. Hull were interested in January, so I doubt either of us will be in with a chance of getting him.

His strike partner of Shane Sutherland wasn't too shabby either! Some front duo for a L2 side. Would happily swap Rory for Shane.

As are quite a few clubs in L1, Cove are looking for a centre forward. We need someone to play up top with Mitch.

16 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

On paper he would be a decent enough option at this level. I wonder if there are any players in the mould of Chris Kane/Stevie May who we could get on loan from a prem team 🤔

👀

If St JohnSons is a thing again, I'm here for it.

We don't really have any young strikers that I know of, though. Alex Ferguson is 17 and rated higher than both May/Kane were at this age, by the sounds of things, but is more an attacking midfielder than striker, and last time he played for us he still hadn't filled out yet.so might get chucked about easy. Nutmegs folk for fun.

Mark Mcguigan is the kind of striker we need.Great signing for EF in my opinion.There aren't many natural goalscorers out there.Used to be back in the 80s/90s every club had their target man. Rowan Alexander at Morton, Dalziel at Raith, Eadie at the Bankies,Colin  Mcglashen at Clyde, Willie Watters at stirling/killie, Robert Reilly the same, Chico Gibson at us, Paul Hunter at East Fife,Lytwyn at Alloa , Hendry at QP,Ally Graham at Albion Rovers etc etc

Where have all the strikers gone? The Lowland League can't sign them all!!

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

👀

If St JohnSons is a thing again, I'm here for it.

We don't really have any young strikers that I know of, though. Alex Ferguson is 17 and rated higher than both May/Kane were at this age, by the sounds of things, but is more an attacking midfielder than striker, and last time he played for us he still hadn't filled out yet.so might get chucked about easy. Nutmegs folk for fun.

Yes please!

3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Mark Mcguigan is the kind of striker we need.Great signing for EF in my opinion.There aren't many natural goalscorers out there.Used to be back in the 80s/90s every club had their target man. Rowan Alexander at Morton, Dalziel at Raith, Eadie at the Bankies,Colin  Mcglashen at Clyde, Willie Watters at stirling/killie, Robert Reilly the same, Chico Gibson at us, Paul Hunter at East Fife,Lytwyn at Alloa , Hendry at QP,Ally Graham at Albion Rovers etc etc

Where have all the strikers gone? The Lowland League can't sign them all!!

I think strikers are becoming like goalkeepers. So many teams only play with one (or non at all) that most players will be able to play more than one position - rather than being an out-and-out number nine as they were back in the day. Think about the amount of forwards who are also wingers/wide forwards or attacking midfielders. 

22 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think strikers are becoming like goalkeepers. So many teams only play with one (or non at all) that most players will be able to play more than one position - rather than being an out-and-out number nine as they were back in the day. Think about the amount of forwards who are also wingers/wide forwards or attacking midfielders. 

LOL..ITS GETTING ALL TOO CONFUSING!!!I'M obviously a fuddy-duddy who still likes all their players with a label!!

So with this logic outside of Hopkirk who could play in a strikers role? Orsi?Maclean? Duthie?Ramsbottom? (OK JUST KIDDING WITH THAT ONE)

2 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

LOL..ITS GETTING ALL TOO CONFUSING!!!I'M obviously a fuddy-duddy who still likes all their players with a label!!

So with this logic outside of Hopkirk who could play in a strikers role? Orsi?Maclean? Duthie?Ramsbottom? (OK JUST KIDDING WITH THAT ONE)

I think Orsi, who was a winger back in his Brechin days, was turned into a sort of hardworking target man type in his spell at Cappielow. I'd imagine he'll be used as a striker. I'm not sure if Hopkirk will be seen as a striker, an attacking mid or what. Maclean is, as I understand it, definitely a winger and Conner Duthie? Well who knows. The right-back/right-mid/striker. He could find himself in the Ian Chisholm role.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think Orsi, who was a winger back in his Brechin days, was turned into a sort of hardworking target man type in his spell at Cappielow. I'd imagine he'll be used as a striker. I'm not sure if Hopkirk will be seen as a striker, an attacking mid or what. Maclean is, as I understand it, definitely a winger and Conner Duthie? Well who knows. The right-back/right-mid/striker. He could find himself in the Ian Chisholm role.

Bleedin Nora...I guess thats why you are doing the commentary and I'm at home watching 🤣

4-4-2 was so simple....

48 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Once more. A team of Chissies. Please.

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Lets hope our pre-season optimism lasts longer than my pre-tournament optimism has lasted for Scotland.

As 23 years of pent-up hope were collapsing in front of me I reflected on two of Scotland's strikers today, one who played with us and one who played against us, and neither with much distinction.  Funny old game right enough.

38 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

The second Czech goal gave me flashbacks to Ramsbottom vs Forfar. Granted the Czech guy had a lot more to do, but left me with the same disbelief and speechless.

It was an unnecessary goal to concede but you still have to say it was a super strike.

no doubt DM will be in for some SCHTIK.(I'LL GET MA COAT)

Faz saying he's looking to add another couple of players to what we've got, I assume that means before the League Cup and therefore usually when the better loans come available. Need a striker or two in definitely, possibly cover for Boyle at left back, or will Lynch do that job? 

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

The second Czech goal gave me flashbacks to Ramsbottom vs Forfar. Granted the Czech guy had a lot more to do, but left me with the same disbelief and speechless.

4 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

It was an unnecessary goal to concede but you still have to say it was a super strike.

no doubt DM will be in for some SCHTIK.(I'LL GET MA COAT)

New song just released:   Yes sir, games a bogie

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Boaby Mann lobbing Dr Jan (for a Sons/Czech connection) from the half way line for me.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Boaby Mann lobbing Dr Jan (for a Sons/Czech connection) from the half way line for me.

That was one of the best goals I've seen at the Rock. I'd been giving him stick (body shaming) him and he ran right over to me aswell.