Sons' sorrow

58 minutes ago, virginton said:

They don't stop being our jobber cast-offs after one season and your new goalkeeper went from punted at Cappielow, to free agent, to getting the call from Duffy halfway through last season.

The only difference is the speed of putting a squad together. If Duffy had stayed in charge then he'd have been targeting the exact same players (and indeed already brought one of them to the club), so it's hardly the revolutionary new approach that some are claiming then.

So any player we sign that has ever played for the mighty Greenock Morton is a “jobber cast off”? Got it.

It’s a completely different approach from last season and god forbid we enjoy a bit of positivity around the club.

I’d be more focussed on your own team if I were you.  Or maybe that’s why you’re here - to take your mind off it.

Just now, DobbiesAgent said:

I’m particularly enjoying the Falkirk fans throwing shade at Buchanan and Morton fans throwing shade and hating on orsi and McKee. 

they just wish their window was as exciting as ours, as for Morton fans comments, our signings might be poor in your eyes but keep in mind your not so far away from joining us and Falkirk who were championship main stays for 5/6 years. You could find yourself down here soon too at the rate your going...

Remind me again @virginton Is it just the one convicted sex offender you signed this season,? 👀🖕🏼

Given the absolute garbage who made Robbie Muirhead look like Zlatan in the play-offs, the gulf is rather significant actually. And your mob finished 9th and so are clearly another level of utter dung. 

If Dumbarton are so rattled by Morton fans calling their signings shite then you could always, erm, stop signing all of our proven, useless jobbers wholesale. 

29 minutes ago, sonsism said:

So any player we sign that has ever played for the mighty Greenock Morton is a “jobber cast off”? Got it.

It’s a completely different approach from last season and god forbid we enjoy a bit of positivity around the club.

It demonstrably isn't though. Jim Duffy got his big book of football contacts out and shipped in whoever was out of the picture at Cappielow. Fast forward to now and it's the same policy. Ramsbottom was signed by both regimes this year alone FFS. 

I’d be more focussed on your own team if I were you.  Or maybe that’s why you’re here - to take your mind off it.

Focused on... what exactly? It's the middle of June and so hee-haw is happening at my team.

Again, if you don't want pesky Morton or Falkirk fans pissing on your 'signing revolution!!!111!!!' groupthink then you're on the wrong website. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

Again, if you don't want pesky Morton or Falkirk fans pissing on your 'signing revolution!!!111!!!' groupthink then you're on the wrong website. 

What’s a groupthink?

Regardless of what the manky Morton fans are saying, I’m feeling really optimistic heading into the league cup games for the first time since the group stages were introduced. 

It’s so refreshing to have a manager with a vision, getting his business done swiftly.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

It demonstrably isn't though. Jim Duffy got his big book of football contacts out and shipped whoever was out of the picture at Cappielow. Fast forward to now and it's the same policy. Ramsbottom was signed by both regimes this year alone FFS. 

We signed 21 players last season. Two of them came directly from Morton (on loan) when Duffy had inexplicably ran out of players and Ramsbottom signed about nine months after being emptied from Cappielow.

Ironically we'd have been far better off if we'd signed a bunch of Morton's jobbers than guys like Matthew Reilly, Donald Morrison, Denny Johnstone, Daniel Church, Isaac Layne and Jamie Barclay. Morton are a bigger club than us, playing at a better level. I'd rather we signed their offcuts than guys who had never played in the SPFLbefore.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

It demonstrably isn't though. Jim Duffy got his big book of football contacts out and shipped whoever was out of the picture at Cappielow. Fast forward to now and it's the same policy. Ramsbottom was signed by both regimes this year alone FFS. 

Focused on... what exactly? It's the middle of June and so hee-haw is happening at my team.

Ramsbottom earned himself a new contract after his performances for us - FFS indeed can’t believe Duffy and Faz have the exact same signing policy. We may as well have kept Duffy on cause we’d have the exact same squad as we do now 🥴

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

Given the absolute garbage who made Robbie Muirhead look like Zlatan in the play-offs, the gulf is rather significant actually. And your mob finished 9th and so are clearly another level of utter dung. 

If Dumbarton are so rattled by Morton fans calling their signings shite then you could always, erm, stop signing all of our proven, useless jobbers wholesale. 

Haha just avoiding the fact you employ a sex offender fantastic 

2 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Haha just avoiding the fact you employ a sex offender fantastic 

What was Isaac Layne when he pulled on the Dumbarton jersey last season?

'Glass houses' and 'stones' spring to mind when dealing with your flailing response so far.

@virginton I don’t see anyone claiming that Faz’ signing policy is ‘revolutionary’ but there’s no debating that the approach and result of his signing policy is night and day to that off Duffy. Something that you should be able to see, as some of your fellow Morton fans are able to.

Over the last two close seasons we’ve been hanging around the yellow-sticker section taking folks’ cast offs (some punted by Morton, yes) and clambering round exit trials picking up anyone who, on the face of it was affordable and available, no matter what they might or might not offer the team. Our signings were largely lazy (Duffy pretty much admitted this after he left us) and none inspired much hope or expectation.

The situation we’re now in having appointed a new manager a fortnight ago is that we have 14 players signed, several of whom are proven at this level (and yes, some haven’t had the best of times at Championship level), have clearly been sold the club by Faz and who appear to be solid signings for the level we’re at.  There’s no debating there’s a stark contrast in approach and signing policy from last summer under Duffy to now under Farrell.  Even someone as obnoxious as you should be able to recognise and concede that.

And of the whole ‘taking cast offs’ from Morton, aye we’ve done that in the past and will do again I don’t doubt.  The difference from doing that under Duffy to now is that then it seemed lazy, some of the ‘cast offs’ offered little and have now left the club and it smacked of ‘jobs for the boys’ a bit.  Now though the ex-Morton players we’ve signed are either proven at this level (note: this level, not the higher echelons of world football you seem to believe Morton are plying their trade at) or they’ve played well enough to earn a new deal, as is the case with Ramsbottom.

And taking players from other teams is the way football generally works, all over the world.  We’ll be shopping in the lower-end of the full-time pool (I.e clubs like yourselves), you guys will get cast offs from Patrick Thistle, Dundee and others. It’s the way it works. So don’t come lording it here over how amazing you seem to think you are, at least some of your fellow fans seem informed and are able to see reason and rationale. Something lacking in your unfortunate manner.

I think you are correct. The ex Morton players are good signings for you. That said, they were shite for us.  As I recall, Ross Forbes signed for you. Smashing  player when he played for us, and I doubt if many Morton fans said otherwise when you signed him. I hope you have a better season than last season.

I understand the optimism of a new regime and a new approach, but a lot of what you describe is based on optics and not hard evidence. In what way for example is Kalvin Orsi "proven at this level"? If he'd joined you on loan in February then you'd all have been complaining about Duffy's limited and unambitious signing policy. 

The results will be seen on the pitch, but I fail to see how assembling a group of players who either played for you ages ago or are from the exact same pool as you've been taking from for years counts as a night and day change in policy - other than assembling that squad quickly rather than the second week in August which was your previous manager's speciality. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I understand the optimism of a new regime and a new approach, but a lot of what you describe is based on optics and not hard evidence. In what way for example is Kalvin Orsi "proven at this level"? If he'd joined you on loan in February then you'd all have been complaining about Duffy's limited and unambitious signing policy. 

The results will be seen on the pitch, but I fail to see how assembling a group of players who either played for you ages ago or are from the exact same pool as you've been taking from for years counts as a night and day change in policy - other than assembling that squad quickly rather than the second week in August which was your previous manager's speciality. 

Faz is signing winners and Duffy primarily signed guys taking their first steps in senior football.

That's the clear difference I'm seeing and I think that is something we really missed last season.

Guys that have been there and done it.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Can we have the next Morton-supporting contestant in the 'He Was Utter Shite For Us And Will Undoubtedly Be For Yous Too' competition ?  You guys just worry about your own outfit and leave us to enjoy the novelty of watching a squad being assembled rather than arriving on a Deliveroo bike ten minutes before the start of the season.  Oh, and get the cruise ships sorted.

To be fair, I was just giving my opinion on Orsi - and trying not to be patronising by saying something like, 'he was rubbish for us but I'm sure he'll be ok for a diddy team like Dumbarton.'

He was rubbish for us and I don't think he'll be a success at Dumbarton either. I could be very wrong, it was maybe just the wrong fit at Morton, but I don't think he's good enough. 

23 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Please stop responding to virginton and let this thread get back to sons chat. You all know he just thrives on it so just don’t reply

Agreed. Just ignore them they’ll go away after a while.

When does training start? 

9 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Agreed. Just ignore them they’ll go away after a while.

When does training start? 

Training started today, there's a good wee video on the twitter. Everyone looks in decent shape, certainly no plodders this season. 

6 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

Faz is signing winners and Duffy primarily signed guys taking their first steps in senior football.

That's the clear difference I'm seeing and I think that is something we really missed last season.

Guys that have been there and done it.

Well no, the likes of Kalvín Orsi, Sam Ramsbottom and Joe McKee are not even remotely winners but in fact losers, as their moribund, Coldplay-themed CVs bear out. 

Geggan I'll give you as a player whose experience and attitude might prove extremely valuable, but you're chucking a mixed bag of signings into that column when it quite clearly doesn't apply to all or even most of them.

Orsi and Ramsbottom are signings straight out of the Jim Duffy Dumbarton textbook, yet their value is now hilariously inflated because it's a different person in the dugout getting them to sign the contract this time round.

6 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

I believe the answer you are looking for is either "injured" or "shite". Do I win?

No, the answer was 'a convicted sex pest'. 

Edited by vikingTON