Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Balatoni is infinitely better than Buchanan btw.

Ken we’ve got a decent record of breaking players but Buchanan really was pish poor with us before seemingly being the same with QoS. We were warned by Morton fans what to expect and they were right he’s not even close to being that same defender that was with you guys a few years ago. His positional play is rank rotten, for a guy so tall he’s very poor in the air he genuinely should have scored at least 5 or 6 goals for us but fluffed every header, gets bitched very easily by strikers and the worst of all was that both Mark Durnan and Ben Hall were a lot better than him. There was a lot of fluff with him being a local boy and ‘fan’ and he used to give away the armband every game to a young fan but he’s dugmeat.

I can completely understand getting excited about a popular ex player coming back (I done the exact same with Blair Alston last year) but he’s really not the same player.

I love how you’ve come to our thread, to throw shade at our signings/ potential signings because your pre season isn’t as exciting as ours

Away back to the kelpies ya rocket

Delighted with that and it's becoming apparent that Faz is looking to build a team beyond this season with these 2 year deals. We have a very experienced defence now but it does lack a bit of pace. I reckon we need at least 1 more winger, 2 strikers and a goalkeeper and we're almost good to go. Can field a decent team now though:

Erskine

Geggan -- McGeever -- Buchanan -- Boyle

Paton -- Carswell

MacLean -- McKee -- Duthie

Hopkirk

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Delighted with that and it's becoming apparent that Faz is looking to build a team beyond this season with these 2 year deals. We have a very experienced defence now but it does lack a bit of pace. I reckon we need at least 1 more winger, 2 strikers and a goalkeeper and we're almost good to go. Can field a decent team now though:

Erskine

Geggan -- McGeever -- Buchanan -- Boyle

Paton -- Carswell

MacLean -- McKee -- Duthie

Hopkirk

That's a very solid spine to the outfield team. On paper it's making last seasons side look amateur.

It's no surprise that Gregor Buchanan's form has dipped since he started rocking the man bun. If Faz can get him back to a traditional short back and sides then I'm sure he'll return to his 2016/17 form.

Pleased with that though. He's had a poor few seasons and bounced around clubs a lot. Hopefully he can settle back down at the Rock under Faz's stewardship. He's another player who has captained previous clubs as well. I make that Buchanan (Falkirk), McGeever (Queen's Park), Geggan (Dunfermline) and Paton (Dunfermline) who have all worn the armband at previous clubs. Good amount of leadership in that dressing room now, which is something we lacked under Duffy.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's no surprise that Gregor Buchanan's form has dipped since he started rocking the man bun. If Faz can get him back to a traditional short back and sides then I'm sure he'll return to his 2016/17 form.

Pleased with that though. He's had a poor few seasons and bounced around clubs a lot. Hopefully he can settle back down at the Rock under Faz's stewardship. He's another player who has captained previous clubs as well. I make that Buchanan (Falkirk), McGeever (Queen's Park), Geggan (Dunfermline) and Paton (Dunfermline) who have all worn the armband at previous clubs. Good amount of leadership in that dressing room now, which is something we lacked under Duffy.

It's a bloody top knot not a man bun. And it's beautiful. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Good point regarding leaders but Bucky is 100% not one. Geggan and Paton absolutely but Bucky got our armband because he’s from Falkirk. ‘Kent wit the club is aw aboot’ and all that. I think he will be fine for Dumbarton as a player but I wouldn’t be expecting him to lead the back line. Also agree with your hair comment, get it cut Gregor! 

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Back to this look will do me... 😍😍

41E19FFF-1253-48C2-9268-F7F6C19C2D6D.jpeg

What's up with him? 
Buchanan was prone to errors with us too, he was part of a defence that conceded 60 odd goals despite us doing well. Expectations here are different to Morton, Falkirk and QoS. I suspect we're getting much the same player back. 
I think expectations will be similar in all honesty - we just want defenders to be able to do the basics. Sadly Buchanan struggled with even that last season. The number of times he lost his man was infuriating and then he had the audacity to point around as if it was someone elses responsibility.

When we brought Breen in on loan he made Buchanan slightly less shit so if your other CB has a bit of pace about him then he may well cover for Buchanan's inability.

9 minutes ago, the snudge said:

It's a bloody top knot not a man bun. And it's beautiful. 

2 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Back to this look will do me... 😍😍

41E19FFF-1253-48C2-9268-F7F6C19C2D6D.jpeg

Each to their own. But 2016 Buchanan is far more 😍 imo.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think expectations will be similar in all honesty - we just want defenders to be able to do the basics. Sadly Buchanan struggled with even that last season. The number of times he lost his man was infuriating and then he had the audacity to point around as if it was someone elses responsibility.

When we brought Breen in on loan he made Buchanan slightly less shit so if your other CB has a bit of pace about him then he may well cover for Buchanan's inability.

He does not. But Buchanan played alongside Frazer Wright and Darren Barr for us during his last spell, and Ryan McGeever is borderline Adama Traore compared with them.

If I remember right he brought a couple of WAG’s who were absolute 10’s to games with him so at least it will improve the swatch at home games 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think expectations of players are at all the same. Joe McKee has been labelled an imposter at all the same clubs (Morton, Falkirk, Queens) and he was exactly what we needed. It's not that these players suddenly get good or shite, it's that fan expectation is different at each club and they get judged differently by each set of fans. I'm willing to put my neck on the line here and say Bucky will be completely fine, if not better than Morgyn Neill was. We do need some pace at the back though.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think expectations of players are at all the same. Joe McKee has been labelled an imposter at all the same clubs (Morton, Falkirk, Queens) and he was exactly what we needed. It's not that these players suddenly get good or shite, it's that fan expectation is different at each club and they get judged differently by each set of fans. I'm willing to put my neck on the line here and say Bucky will be completely fine, if not better than Morgyn Neill was. We do need some pace at the back though.

I would like an other full back, ideally someone pacey like you say

Just now, The Moonster said:

Different folks work at different clubs.

We've signed "Morton's worst ever goalkeeper" and he wasn't even the worst former Morton goalkeeper we'd had in the last three years. We also signed "one of St Mirren's worst ever players" and he was our POTY in 2019-20. Our club captain was hounded by St Mirren fans when he was there for being ropey. Our best player last season was fairly rubbish for Livingston and didn't pull up trees in a Stenhousemuir team who were relegated. The best goalkeeper I've seen at the club was really poor for Queen of the South and is now kicking about Gibraltar. 

We've also signed a host of players over the years who have came with a decent reputation. Only to be massive letdowns; Rory Loy, Jack Aitchison, Mark Stewart. We have had plenty of players who were poor for us go on and do really well elsewhere; Kevin Nisbet being number one, but also Liam Dick, Scott Allardice and Kevin Cawley.

Ultimately Gregor Buchanan might prove to be a dud. As could all our signings. But at this stage I really don't have any issues at all with Faz's recruitment. A quick glance at our signings in the past two windows under Duffy might explain why to an outsider. Mati Zata? Ryan Tierney? Jordan McMillan? Matthew Shiels?

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Different folks work at different clubs.

We've signed "Morton's worst ever goalkeeper" and he wasn't even the worst former Morton goalkeeper we'd had in the last three years. We also signed "one of St Mirren's worst ever players" and he was our POTY in 2019-20. Our club captain was hounded by St Mirren fans when he was there for being ropey. Our best player last season was fairly rubbish for Livingston and didn't pull up trees in a Stenhousemuir team who were relegated. The best goalkeeper I've seen at the club was really poor for Queen of the South and is now kicking about Gibraltar. 

We've also signed a host of players over the years who have came with a decent reputation. Only to be massive letdowns; Rory Loy, Jack Aitchison, Mark Stewart. We have had plenty of players who were poor for us go on and do really well elsewhere; Kevin Nisbet being number one, but also Liam Dick, Scott Allardice and Kevin Cawley.

Ultimately Gregor Buchanan might prove to be a dud. As could all our signings. But at this stage I really don't have any issues at all with Faz's recruitment. A quick glance at our signings in the past two windows under Duffy might explain why to an outsider. Mati Zata? Ryan Tierney? Jordan McMillan? Matthew Shiels?

Did shiels not sign a deal for QOS ? 

like you say plenty of players settle differently at different clubs! 

as for the GK kicking about Gibraltar I’d die to have big Aldo back in at the rock!