Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Greig Spence isn't very good. He's scored about 4 goals in the last 4 years. I'd rather have kept Wilson I think. Unsure who we'll be after, absolutely none of the names we've signed so far could've been predicted. Which I'm enjoying.

I’ll agree it’s been a much more exciting summer window than last few 

13 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

On the signing front, particularly strikers anyone got any targets in mind? 

Mentioned earlier on this thread that I always liked Steven Boyd but fitness seems to have been an issue for him.

As others have touched on, who knows what to expect this window. At least it is a bit exciting 😬

24 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Mentioned earlier on this thread that I always liked Steven Boyd but fitness seems to have been an issue for him.

As others have touched on, who knows what to expect this window. At least it is a bit exciting 😬

Looks like Boyd wants full time but I agree I've always liked him. 

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Looks like Boyd wants full time but I agree I've always liked him. 

I wonder what his chances are of getting a FT deal... having not properly kept an eye on things too closely it is hard to say. I know his fitness/injury record hasn't always been great and he never properly settled.

I know he hardly scored loads last year but always thought he looked a handy player anyway. He would certainly be an upgrade on any of last seasons options.

Edited by squeezeboxson

Interesting interview with Rabin Omar here. As we speculated he was observing Ramadan during our busiest spell of the season and ended up losing 6 kilos in weight during that time. Explains why he was a sub more often than not and why his performance tailed off after an impressive start.

https://cfbfootball.com/2021/06/09/rabin-omar-from-the-netherlands-to-scottish-football-via-university/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Interesting interview with Rabin Omar here. As we speculated he was observing Ramadan during our busiest spell of the season and ended up losing 6 kilos in weight during that time. Explains why he was a sub more often than not and why his performance tailed off after an impressive start.

https://cfbfootball.com/2021/06/09/rabin-omar-from-the-netherlands-to-scottish-football-via-university/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

He certainly looked promising when he came in, especially after his goal at Falkirk, as someone said before though it could just have been due to his directness seen as we hadn’t seen that at all in a year 😆 

Impressed now though I know he was observing Ramadan, he certainly wouldn’t have had the same protection your super stars in the top leagues get during that time of year, so a big thanks must go to him for his efforts during that time, it couldn’t have been easy 

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He must have been fasting between July and December 2020 as well. 

55 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

More proof that ancient religions have no place in modern society but good luck to Rabin. 

Setting aside Ramadan for a moment, I think we might look back and reflect that what was asked of our squad (and indeed all the clubs in the lower leagues) was absolutely ridiculous. The run of matches we ploughed through around the Aberdeen cup-tie was monstrously challenging and on that at least I'm agreed with Jim Duffy's comments about the efforts extended by all the players. Between the authorties and the clubs themselves pushing for a 22 game season it's clear that player well-being was definitely not a priority for these organisations. 

44 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Still think Rabin's worth a punt.Decent player in there.

I'm not sure I agree with that, and to be honest I think there's a lot of rose-tinted retrospection going on about last season's team based solely on the fact that we stayed up.  With the possible exception of Neill I have very little problem with any of the departures and I would much rather Faz built his own squad without us revisiting some familiar failings.  We certainly wouldn't be having any fond recollections had we gone down !!  It wasn't all down to Jim Duffy.

14 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Setting aside Ramadan for a moment, I think we might look back and reflect that what was asked of our squad (and indeed all the clubs in the lower leagues) was absolutely ridiculous. The run of matches we ploughed through around the Aberdeen cup-tie was monstrously challenging and on that at least I'm agreed with Jim Duffy's comments about the efforts extended by all the players. Between the authorties and the clubs themselves pushing for a 22 game season it's clear that player well-being was definitely not a priority for these organisations. 

Completely agree the schedule was bonkers, it was brought on yet again by selfish clubs demanding they got more games to either save their skin or win a league. I was told Danny Lennon bizarrely wanted to play 27 games. Clubs don't have anyone to blame but themselves though, they saw the problems covid caused the previous season and didn't bother their arse with a contingency, instead winging it as they went. 

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm not sure I agree with that, and to be honest I think there's a lot of rose-tinted retrospection going on about last season's team based solely on the fact that we stayed up.  With the possible exception of Neill I have very little problem with any of the departures and I would much rather Faz built his own squad without us revisiting some familiar failings.  We certainly wouldn't be having any fond recollections had we gone down !!  It wasn't all down to Jim Duffy.

Each to his own but I think he has something to offer and is worth a trial along with Wallace.Of course it is SF's squad and it is unlikely he will ask either of them back.

It is right that the manager puts his own stamp on the squad but sometimes ego is a problem which we saw with SA who got rid off some very decent players who went on to do good things with Alloa( Dick,Taggart,Graham,Cawley , Kirkpatrick et al).Balance and common sense should prevail as I guess we are beggars not choosers.Lack of an appearance from the new owners is even more worrying though.

10 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Each to his own but I think he has something to offer and is worth a trial along with Wallace.Of course it is SF's squad and it is unlikely he will ask either of them back.

It is right that the manager puts his own stamp on the squad but sometimes ego is a problem which we saw with SA who got rid off some very decent players who went on to do good things with Alloa( Dick,Taggart,Graham,Cawley , Kirkpatrick et al).Balance and common sense should prevail as I guess we are beggars not choosers.Lack of an appearance from the new owners is even more worrying though.

Come on, Rabin Omar isn’t in the same league as any of the names you mentioned, and I wasn’t even a huge fan of Liam Dick or Kevin Cawley. 

Omar was fairly hopeless and I’m not entirely sure Ramadan is to blame. If it is to blame then it’s absolutely beyond me why Jim Duffy would sign a guy for the run in who is being massively impacted by observing Ramadan. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

9 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Of these names the only one I was disappointed in losing to be completely honest was Jordan Kirkpatrick. He was such a threat, went on to have a brilliant few seasons at Alloa, and I can only imagine the huge sense of accomplishment he must have got when he relegated us, Giving the messiah Aitken a huge “up yours” in the process 

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Come on, Rabin Omar isn’t in the same league as any of the names you mentioned, and I wasn’t even a huge fan of Liam Dick or Kevin Cawley. 

Omar was fairly hopeless and I’m not entirely sure Ramadan is to blame. If it is to blame then it’s absolutely beyond me that Jim Duffy would sign a guy for the run in who is being massively impacted by observing Ramadan. 

No of course not but we are in a different league now and our expectations/budget  have been lowered.I wasn't comparing the standard just the situation.There are plenty of footballers availablethat's for sure but attracting them may be a problem as we have no idea how our budget is as our owners are anonymous pretty much.

The fact SF  jumped from Stranraer may not be an indication of a decent budget  but rather  the internal problems engulfing  that club.

2 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Of these names the only one I was disappointed in losing to be completely honest was Jordan Kirkpatrick. He was such a threat, went on to have a brilliant few seasons at Alloa, and I can only imagine the huge sense of accomplishment he must have got when he relegated us, Giving the messiah Aitken a huge “up yours” in the process 

I wasn't against any of the players mentioned.It showed what a decent group they were  with what they did/have done with Alloa.It also shows what a  manager with a Shite Attitude(SA)  can do to good players.

I see Stevie Aitken has today added 38-year-old Lee Miller, 38-year-old Chris Millar and Jamie Stevenson, who turns 37 next month, to his squad at EK.

I think Chris Erskine, 34, will also be sticking about there - and he said this week that he wants to keep Paul Paton (34) and Steven Bell (36). They also have the aptly named Steven Old (35) and Craig Malcolm who will be 35 in December. 

At 32, 30 and 30 respectively, Joao Victoria, Gregg Wylde and Steven Saunders are babies of the squad.

I'm not really sure what his thinking here is at all. If that squad stays fit, sharp and can deal with a lack of pace enough to get them into the SPFL it's going to need totally rebuilt. Whereas a team like Kelty had a cracking base in place, and just needed to add to it. 

Edited by Jan Vojáček