Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Almost as wild as giving Carsy a 2-year deal! 😲

I think carswell is as important as any player we have signed the last 5 years, keeping him is quite a big achievement if you ask me. 

I think having a couple players more experienced than him (geggan/Boyle) will take the weight of his shoulders a wee bit, add to that some legs beside him in a midfield for a change then he’ll be able to focus on what he’s good at instead of having to do the running of two like he has had to in the past alongside guys like wedderburn forbes and the laziest of them all Hutton. 

Ramsbottom, Frizzell and Wilson the only players yet to declare one way or another, although Frizzell is apparently off to Airdrie. I would expect Faz will have been looking for answers from them this week, so it's looking likely they might all be offski. 

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think folk thought Roy was pish but he played as a sort of attacking inverted winger in Aitkens team which really required a lot of defensive work from the wide men. That left us open down his side and he never really offered enough attacking threat to make up for that. Not sure he has an eye for goal, he's scored about 4 goals in his whole career. He was younger and quite raw back then but I still think I'd rather we looked elsewhere. 

He’s by no means prolific, but he has a knack of popping up with goals and I’ve seen a few good finishes from him. The only team he’s had a proper run of starts with was Derry City and he scored 7 in 14 there.

Ally Roy is our saviour.

34 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Pleased with the signing of stokes, a younger more attach minded central midfielder is something we have been missing for some time! 
I would also like us to get some legs out wide again, is Ally Roy still a free agent? He would fit the airdrieoniSons template, and I can’t help but think there’s a player in their somewhere ? Thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He’s by no means prolific, but he has a knack of popping up with goals and I’ve seen a few good finishes from him. The only team he’s had a proper run of starts with was Derry City and he scored 7 in 14 there.

Ally Roy is our saviour.

FWIW I think there’s definitely a player in Ally Roy. Albeit one who’s definitely a confidence player. I think he was quite unlucky in his time at Airdrie and two defining moments potentially stopped him from properly kicking on. In 2019/20 he scored three goals in the League Cup group stages, not a bad return at all, and looked like he might be a handy acquisition. Then in the second game of the season  he blootered a penalty over the bar at Links Park, his confidence almost literally drained from him in that instance and he never once looked the same player. The rest of the season he spent confined to the bench where he’d maybe come on in the last 10-20 minutes of games and every time the game just looked completely beyond him and his abilities. He never even ‘put himself about’ in that way fans like and he looked a player devoid of confidence. He scored another 2 goals but they were both the last in 3-1 and 4-1 wins (I think) so largely meaningless. He was kept on for last season inexplicably in the eyes of most fans. But he hit a real purple patch in pre-season (for whatever that’s worth) and scored in every friendly bar one (IIRC). Then in the opening minutes of the League Cup groups he got a really bad arm injury and was out until December/January/after the break. After that he did score three goals in three games, including at the Rock and at that point looked like he could be a real threat and a vital part of the run-in. But then he was in and out of the team and struggled to get any momentum but he did have his moments of looking threatening. 
His time at Airdrie wasn’t great but I definitely think there’s a player in there somewhere. At what level though I’m not sure. TBH I think he’d be best dropping down to League 2/Lowland League/WoSFL to get a regular run of games, under a manager who’s going to pick him every week and where ideally he can go on a scoring run. He might be worth a punt however but I wouldn’t want to be relying on him as your main source of goals. He’s better than Eoghan Stokes anyway. 

1 minute ago, Scott-Replay said:

Sorry about Lithgow everyone. I had genuinely no idea and was trying to put 2+2 together. I didn’t get 5, I got 37482823.

I think you are spot on with the Lithgow shout, none of the signings today have any sort of relevance to Third rock from the Sun. I suspect that deal may still be bubbling along, unless The Camel's Hump is at it again. 

56 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Ally Roy is our saviour.

@Rangeman

2 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I think carswell is as important as any player we have signed the last 5 years, keeping him is quite a big achievement if you ask me. 

I think having a couple players more experienced than him (geggan/Boyle) will take the weight of his shoulders a wee bit, add to that some legs beside him in a midfield for a change then he’ll be able to focus on what he’s good at instead of having to do the running of two like he has had to in the past alongside guys like wedderburn forbes and the laziest of them all Hutton. 

Hutton was far superior to Carswell in the season before he left. In all honesty, Carswell hasn't been the same since the year before that which has been highly disappointing for most. He really needs to get back to the player we know he csn be because that's 2 seasons of him not being good enough, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I think you are spot on with the Lithgow shout, none of the signings today have any sort of relevance to Third rock from the Sun. I suspect that deal may still be bubbling along, unless The Camel's Hump is at it again. 

Lithgow has just signed for Morton I'm afraid.