Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Now confirmed on OS and Wikipedia! Fast work @Jan Vojáček!

Jan is having a good morning of avoiding doing his proper job.

Anyway. I'm into that signing I think. He didn't do much at Airdrie last year, but also barely got any gametime. He's clearly got a bit of ability - we just need to hope that Faz is the man to get him to show it.

AirdrieoniSons.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

I’m shocked that he actually played 13 games for us. Admittedly most of those were off the bench but it felt like he barely played.

Stokes looked pretty good in pre-season, generally playing as an attacking midfielder and he set up the only goal in a friendly win over Queen of the South. He never really got going in any competitive games though. Admittedly he didn’t get too many chances but when he did start he never showed anything to merit getting a run in the team. On a couple of occasions he was played deeper in midfield or up front but he never looked comfortable in either position. He played as a deeper midfielder in one of our defeats to Edinburgh City where he was completely anonymous. 

I don’t think he’s particularly strong or quick but he seemed to have a good eye for a pass in pre-season. I feel if the team is built around him he’ll do pretty well but just never got going at Airdrie. I get the feeling that there might be a decent player in there, he just needs the right environment to show it. I can’t wait for the 3-3 draws next season with Agnew, Wardrop, Quitongo and Stokes all scoring. 

I think he'll be a good signing for you's if u can find his preferred position, he was being hyped up in pre season but never really got a fair chance, wish him all the best. 

Hope McKee isn't of those 3 signing for yous today! 

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Eoghan Stokes is genuinely the most anonymous player I’ve ever seen play for Airdrie. Jack McKay is rubbish for instance but at least he puts himself about and you notice his contribution. Stokes played about a dozen for us - admittedly most of these appearances were in the last 10-15 minutes of games that we were already lost - but I don’t think I could tell you one thing he ever did in a diamond. I don’t remember him ever having a shot, creating chances or even just getting involved in games. I also couldn’t tell you what his best position is other than it being vaguely attacking midfield (according to Stokes himself anyway). I don’t think Murray knew what his best position was or how to get the best out of him either as he just used to throw him on anywhere vaguely in attack in desperation when we were chasing a goal. I think his time at Airdrie was as good as over when he started in the League Cup defeat to Edinburgh City and made no positive impression or laid a glove on them at all. 

That being said he has been on the books of some decent clubs so perhaps there is some ability there. Maybe a manager who rates him or knows how to actually utilise him will get a proper tune out of the boy. Personally I am buzzing for him to turn out to be absolutely class and score a hat-trick against us. Also buzzing for you to sign Harlain Mbayo who came from the same agency as Stokes. 

3 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Calum Erskine...any info Stenny fans...

Callum Erskine is the very definition of a "back-up goalkeeper". There must be thousands of goalies like him that have kicked around the lower leagues over the past few years - the kind of 'keeper who would only ever feature if your first choice is sent off or injured, but would never play the next week because you've gone straight to Motherwell or Dundee United for a loan of one of their youngsters.

Erskine's arc follows the same path. He didn't play much at all for Stenhousemuir last season, making just three appearances. He saved some penalties in our League Cup group-stage shoot out against Edinburgh City, which was pretty neat, but he only made one league appearance, coming on to replace the injured Graeme Smith in our match with Stirling Albion early in the campaign, and it was his weak parry that set up Jack Leitch for the Binos' injury-time equaliser. Two days later we brought in Paddy Martin on loan from Hibernian and Erskine didn't play again.

I hope he does you a turn when required but I cannot envisage him getting ahead of Sam Ramsbottom.

1 minute ago, cameron2000 said:

If these signings are for the starting XI I’m concerned however if they’re pre-planned backup options then that’s actually quite refreshing and good to see Farrell putting some effort into making sure our squad isn’t too thin

With the exception of Erskine all these players will be first team i imagine.

Pleased with the signing of stokes, a younger more attach minded central midfielder is something we have been missing for some time! 
I would also like us to get some legs out wide again, is Ally Roy still a free agent? He would fit the airdrieoniSons template, and I can’t help but think there’s a player in their somewhere ? Thoughts? 

15 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Callum Erskine is the very definition of a "back-up goalkeeper". There must be thousands of goalies like him that have kicked around the lower leagues over the past few years - the kind of 'keeper who would only ever feature if your first choice is sent off or injured, but would never play the next week because you've gone straight to Motherwell or Dundee United for a loan of one of their youngsters.

Erskine's arc follows the same path. He didn't play much at all for Stenhousemuir last season, making just three appearances. He saved some penalties in our League Cup group-stage shoot out against Edinburgh City, which was pretty neat, but he only made one league appearance, coming on to replace the injured Graeme Smith in our match with Stirling Albion early in the campaign, and it was his weak parry that set up Jack Leitch for the Binos' injury-time equaliser. Two days later we brought in Paddy Martin on loan from Hibernian and Erskine didn't play again.

I hope he does you a turn when required but I cannot envisage him getting ahead of Sam Ramsbottom.

I doubt Ramsbottom will be with us next season. Fine to have a young keeper signed up as back up, Faz obviously thinks he and our new goalkeeper coach are capable of moulding him into a good keeper though.

10 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Pleased with the signing of stokes, a younger more attach minded central midfielder is something we have been missing for some time! 
I would also like us to get some legs out wide again, is Ally Roy still a free agent? He would fit the airdrieoniSons template, and I can’t help but think there’s a player in their somewhere ? Thoughts? 

I actually liked Ally Roy when he was with us previously, despite most folk seemingly thinking he was pish. By no means a world beater but has pace to burn and an eye for goal. We could do far worse IMO.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I actually liked Ally Roy when he was with us previously, despite most folk seemingly thinking he was pish. By no means a world beater but has pace to burn and an eye for goal. We could do far worse IMO.

I don't think folk thought Roy was pish but he played as a sort of attacking inverted winger in Aitkens team which really required a lot of defensive work from the wide men. That left us open down his side and he never really offered enough attacking threat to make up for that. Not sure he has an eye for goal, he's scored about 4 goals in his whole career. He was younger and quite raw back then but I still think I'd rather we looked elsewhere.